Dancing on QA Canaries

njpln

I will make a separate post regarding the dancing. For those  people who want to  know how the dancing is going…

There is dancing with live music, just about all evening in the Queen‘s room, and that’s very nice. No canned music.  However, quite often you can’t get a seat in the queen’s room. We don’t recall experiencing that problem on Elizabeth or Mary 2.  Someone misstepped here in the planning. Also we have had two nights where there was actually a show in the queen‘s room as opposed to dancing.  We weren’t crazy about that idea. Maybe everyone else loves it. You think you have a ballroom, the floor should be used for dancing.

Though we are not sequence dancers, we used to enjoy watching them on the other ships. Sadly, there’s no dedicated sequence dancing that we haven’t seen. However, the sequence dancers do get up when there’s a song they all want to dance to.   

It appears that the gala nights the orchestra has live ballroom style music and do the exact same order of dances for as in the past.  I.E. quickstep, foxtrot, etc. Other nights are theme nights, 70s, Motown, Latin, 80s. It’s a really eclectic mix, people are doing ballroom and freestyle simultaneously.  So people who only do ballroom dancing might not be thrilled…. On the other hand, folks like me who do both ballroom and freestyle like the change!  

The Bright Lights Society has nightclub dancing listed at 10:30 but it really doesn’t start till closer to 11. The DJ is very good, she takes requests and my only complaint is that the floor is exceedingly small. There’s seating on the edge of the floor because they’re trying to as many people as possible for the shows. 

Last night there was a silent disco on the Pavilion deck.  What fun for those who enjoy it.   (Yes, I was there, sans DH who was too tired!)

Aside from the evening, there are several dance classes, ballroom, and line dancing, and Zumba and chair aerobics during the day. Lots of options for people who want to get some dancing during the day.

That’s a quick commentary.  See you on the dance floor!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

My goodness ! the powers that be at shoreside  ie those who are responsible for entertainment  have certainly changed their tune from last weeks Maiden .

Delighted to hear they have now come to their senses and at least  a little 'more Ballroom' is now taking place. Believe it or not, ballroom dancers can be quite flexible we don't don't mind the Queens Room for the occasional themed party night -  70s-Motown etc,  what we don't want to see almost every evening ( as happened on the maiden ) the Queens Room being used for performers  four evening out of seven 🙁  who have already had two performances  in the Royal Court theatre  early & late)

Of course it's the Bar Revenue Annie is trying to encourage , she has even managed to have Bar Stools already fixed at the QR Bar before they have even been fixed in the Commodore .

Call me cynical 😉

• Like 3

A lot of guests who don't do ballroom or sequence dancing themselves still enjoy sitting in the Queen's Room in the evening, watching other passengers dance and listening to the foxtrot, quickstep music etc. We certainly won't watch freestyle dancing ourselves, and we don't want to spend our evening drinking in the bar either. 

I hope that Queen Anne has a lot of shows to entertain guests instead. On our recent four week cruise on Queen Victoria there were about a dozen entertainment staff, but they were allrounders, i.e. all singing, performing and dancing various styles. I would expect a larger number and higher quality of artists on Queen Anne to keep guests looking forward to the evenings.