Just purchased ring in St. Thomas - one stone fell out

I was in St. Thomas on 5/8 and purchased a ring for a few hundred dollars at a store in Crown Bay.  Yesterday I noticed one of the CZs had fallen out.  I contacted the store owner who was very responsive and advised me to send the ring (insured) to an address in California and it would be fixed and sent back to me.  I'm a little nervous mailing something off I just paid $$$$ for and entrusting that I will see it again.  But I am thinking they wouldn't want any negative reviews to start getting back to cruise ship passengers - especially if they've been in business awhile.  Does this sound like standard operating procedure and is there anything I should do in advance of mailing this out that I maybe haven't thought of? 

Many of the stores have stateside customer service/repair centers so that's not unusual. Stones falling out of rings of all prices happens for any number of reasons. I have read that stones may have been switched during repairs or sizing, but I've only seen that happen with precious stones.

Take pictures before you mail it. But, repairing the ring might not be that expensive if done locally.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ms411 said:

Many of the stores have stateside customer service/repair centers so that's not unusual. Stones falling out of rings of all prices happens for any number of reasons. I have read that stones may have been switched during repairs or sizing, but I've only seen that happen with precious stones.

Take pictures before you mail it. But, repairing the ring might not be that expensive if done locally.

Thank you. I was hoping you would have some info since you're local. I looked up the place where they wanted me to send it to and it looked like a little hole in the wall so it just made me a little nervous. Maybe I'll try locally this weekend and just see if they can give me a price on what it would cost to fix. Thanks again.

I think most jewelry repair places are "little holes in the wall."😊 I've been to the shops in NY Diamond District, and there are tiny stalls of shops and repairers. On St Thomas there is at least one repairer in each passageway, and they are little holes in the wall, too.