Avalon Wine Lovers cruise France

We are cruising with Avalon on the Rhóne and Saóne rivers on the Poetry II in October, 2025 (northbound). We would appreciate comments from anyone who has taken this cruise. Specifically, does one side of the ship offer better views going northbound? Also, is aft on Royal deck better than mid ship for being quieter ? Can you recommend any excursions? We’ve been on one cruise with Avalon (Romantic Rhine) and enjoyed it. Thanks!

Sorry, just seeing your post now. Welcome to Cruise Critic. While I haven't sailed the French rivers yet, I can answer some of your questions.

As to which side of the ship is best, the answer is neither. Some will say that you may wish to be on one side or the other for morning or afternoon sun on your room, but the a/c works well, so no worries about that really. Sailing is mostly done at night, so if you are sailing during the daytime, you will want to be in the public areas - the lounge or sun deck, as scenery is on both sides of the river, and if you are in your cabin, you are missing out.

I don't think it really matters as to which deck you are on for noise, or where in the ship your cabin is located. The rooms are very well insulated, and when in our cabins, we can't really say we've ever even heard people in either the hall or next cabins. We tend to be "cheap", we'll book 2nd level but towards the stern. Cabins are identical except for the 2 suites, so I figure I can spend the extra $$ on an extra excursion.  Just me 🙂

Enjoy your cruise, as you know by your previous one, Avalon is a fantastic line to sail with, we are going on our 3rd one next May.

• Like 1

I'd like to echo @Daisi 's welcome.

Her advice is good; I cruised the Rhone northbound last year with Viking. There was some daytime sailing but from a cabin one can see only one side. From a public area one can see both banks and also what you're sailing towards so you're ready to take pictures.

One consideration is whether you'll face the bank or water when moored. River boats usually face the direction of the flow when moored, so in your case it's the direction of travel. But whether your cabin will be alongside the bank depends on which side of the river you moor. And if you face the river it's possible another boat will be moored alongside you.

In other words, the answer to which side of the boat is best is 'both'.

Thanks Daisi and pontac for the welcome and for the comments about river cruising  (and Avalon). Your advice is spot on with what the travel agent said -you can’t know where the ship will moor up. I’ve talked some friends into going (none have never been on a cruise), so hope I they will enjoy!

• Like 1