July 27 2024 Vancouver to Alaska 7 day return.

Group of 30+ First Nation Elders taking the Koningsdam to Alaska July 27/24 - Aug 03/24.  Planning on doing one Group dinner in the MDR on the 31st after the day in Glacier Bay. I have booked White Pass RR in Skagway on the 30th for myself as this has been on my Bucket List. Looking for less expensive things to do in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Are there shuttles to the various areas and/or other modes of transport when you get off the ship. Best places to eat in the different Ports. My wife, myself and others are looking forward to crab. Thanks

Posted (edited)

Is Club Orange worth the extra costs. It looks like about $700.00 for the two of us for the week? Thinking anytime seating for MDR as I hate to be set to specific schedule. Has anyone found this difficult on the Koningsdam?

Edited by sumaspirate
added questions.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, sumaspirate said:

Group of 30+ First Nation Elders taking the Koningsdam to Alaska July 27/24 - Aug 03/24...  Looking for less expensive things to do in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Are there shuttles to the various areas and/or other modes of transport when you get off the ship. Best places to eat in the different Ports. My wife, myself and others are looking forward to crab. Thanks

I have not sailed to Alaska since 2018, but these are my memories: in Juneau you will dock just below the tramway and near the Red Dog Saloon. I recommend the skyway! I do not recommend the Red Dog. It's an icon due I think to its location; I give it low score for either atmosphere or food. In Skagway there is a walking tour (on line?) that will feature a number of historic places. There are several brewpubs, but I do not know about crab! There was a little openair bus-train running back and forth to town in 2016. In Ketchikan there is Creek Street (it is uphill about the dock), and there are city buses which we wound up not using but Google is your friend! If you bus to one of the Totem Pole parks, I'm sure that it is more reasonable than the ship's tours.

39 minutes ago, sumaspirate said:

Is Club Orange worth the extra costs. It looks like about $700.00 for the two of us for the week? Thinking anytime seating for MDR as I hate to be set to specific schedule. Has anyone found this difficult on the Koningsdam?

Club Orange should be $25pppd for a 7-day cruise, or $350 for two. I have not had it, but the MDR for open seating was so crowded the first night of our 16-day B2B that we never went back! We ate in the Lido or specialty restaurants. But other, more persistent people may pipe up with suggestions.

ETA: Welcome to posting on Cruise Critic! I hope your group enjoys the heck out of the K'dam!

Edited by crystalspin

16 hours ago, sumaspirate said:

Group of 30+ First Nation Elders taking the Koningsdam to Alaska July 27/24 - Aug 03/24.  Planning on doing one Group dinner in the MDR on the 31st after the day in Glacier Bay. I have booked White Pass RR in Skagway on the 30th for myself as this has been on my Bucket List. Looking for less expensive things to do in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Are there shuttles to the various areas and/or other modes of transport when you get off the ship. Best places to eat in the different Ports. My wife, myself and others are looking forward to crab. Thanks

You have 30 + Elders with you?  Silly thing to ask, but have you reached out to the FNs in those ports? I would think there would be some who would be willing to take you around.

L.