Biohazard Bags

When doing hemodialysis on a cruise, do you bring biohazard bags or regular trash bags for disposal of used supplies?

I will be bringing a sharps for the needles. This question is for used cartridges, used gauze, etc.

Thank you.

Have you discussed this with Special Needs for your cruise line?  I think others have reported the cabin steward will supply biohazard bags and a needle container.  EM

Ahoy there! Ah, the conundrum of cruising with hemodialysis gear - not your typical vacation packing list, eh? While I can't speak from personal experience, I'd lean towards biohazard bags for disposal. After all, better safe than sorry when it comes to handling medical waste, especially on the high seas! Bon voyage and smooth sailing on your dialysis adventure! 🚢💉

Yes, biohazard bags and sharps containers are available onboard.  Note it to special needs, and also mention to cabin steward once onboard.  Your supplies definitely need to be put in biohazard bags, as even if you put your supplies into a regular trash bag and then tied it up, the crew will still need to tear the bag open and sort it by hand to ensure it is properly disposed of (all cabin trash is handled this way).  Once in a biohazard bag, it is sorted, unopened, and incinerated.  The general trash is shredded and stored in large silos until it can be burned in the incinerator.  Bio waste is added to the incinerator manually, when the incinerator is at a specified temperature, and is logged in the garbage log book as to time and quantity of disposal, as required by law.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2