Trains to Copenhagen

We are sailing out of Copenhagen next summer and since we have some extra days off thought we may take a train into the city instead of flying directly there from the states. Is there a train route that you recommend that isn’t more than 6 or so hours? And where the train leaves from has an international airport.

It's not that simple and not something I can immediately recommend - options are Stockholm or Berlin. Maybe also Hamburg. But in all cases there will be a train change.

There is also Oslo, but here it is a ferry and not a train from Oslo to Copenhagen. Absolutely possible but not easy if there is a lot of luggage.

I agree that Stockholm is a great choice. And there are direct trains from Stockholm to Copenhagen, no need to change in Lund or Malmö (unless you want to of course). 

On 7/18/2024 at 11:26 PM, Apel said:

I agree that Stockholm is a great choice. And there are direct trains from Stockholm to Copenhagen, no need to change in Lund or Malmö (unless you want to of course). 

The direct trains between Stockholm and Copenhagen doesn't always go all the way. There are often change of train in Malmö area. I made this journey in both directions 6 months ago and we had to change trains both times. Especially if there are delays there are risk of having to change. In any case you will need to change at Stockholm central station from airport express train to SJ X2000 that will take you to Malmö/Copenhagen.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 6:59 PM, Desdichado62 said:

The direct trains between Stockholm and Copenhagen doesn't always go all the way. There are often change of train in Malmö area. I made this journey in both directions 6 months ago and we had to change trains both times.

That has been a problem recently, but the OP is travelling next year and there is a decent chance the problem will be solved by then. And anyway, Snälltåget has direct trains. 

On 7/24/2024 at 6:59 PM, Desdichado62 said:

In any case you will need to change at Stockholm central station from airport express train to SJ X2000 that will take you to Malmö/Copenhagen.

I can't see that being a problem, I believe the OP is looking for a place to spend a few days before going to Copenhagen

• Like 1

OP, can I suggest still flying into Copenhagen and then spending sometime in the province of Skane in southern Sweden for an authentic Scandinavia summer experience?

We spent a week in Skane before a cruise from Copenhagen and had a fantastic time. We based ourselves in Malmo, which we loved, and visited the university town of Lund, spent the day cycling on the island of Ven, went to the lovely town of Ystad ( made famous by the Wallender books) and had a beach day at one of the fabulous Baltic Sea  beaches. We also went back across the bridge for a day at Tivoli as we had our teens with us. We did all this using local public transport. When you arrive at the airport, there are direct trains to Malmo . It takes around a half hour. 

We had such a good time, it is somewhere we have earmarked to return to for another summer holiday. The Swedes know how to do summer properly!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2024 at 2:17 PM, Apel said:

That has been a problem recently, but the OP is travelling next year and there is a decent chance the problem will be solved by then. And anyway, Snälltåget has direct trains.

Trains will only go to Malmö for this summer 3 July to 4 August due to lack of trains.
https://sverigesradio.se/artikel/inga-sj-tag-pa-strackan-malmo-kopenhamn-i-sommar

• Like 1