Voyager - Can you go smaller for a week!?

dolphincruiser404: Let me be very clear: I do not question or criticize your choices. We each have preferences, and all are valid.

In fact after smaller ships and then the Radiance, my DH was convinced that the Mariner would be too big for his tastes, but he loved it (we all did). The Royal Promenade is, to my mind, far more than just shopping. We aren't shoppers (except duty free alcohol and the occasional little "goodie'), but loved the pub, the cafe, and just sitting and people watching. However, none of the Voyager class amenities is enough to make us choose only to cruise on that size or type of ship. We like many different ones.

However, based on your personal experiences (as you've related them), I don't think that you will be satisfied with a week-long cruise on a smaller or different type of ship. You've said it yourself that you can't "imagine" not having the Voyager amenities. There's nothing wrong with that; you are being honest with us and yourself. I fear that you would go into a cruise with the attitude that "well, it's not a Voyager class, and I won't like my cruise as much." Again, that's fine and personal preference, but you would be setting yourself up right from the get-go for being dissatisfied. You might do best to stick with what you know pleases you and makes for the best cruise experience for you.

Hope you have a great cruise, regardless.

beachchick

My brother and I have sailed on many ships, large and small, luxury and so-so. This includes QE2 and QM2, and all the Voyager (Eagle) class ships of RCCL. We most definately prefer the Huge RCCL ships. A little known fact is that there is more public space per passenger on these ships, not less. This amounts to very roomy areas and impressive spaces ie the amazing 3 deck main dining room with it's massive chandelier, huge centrums, etc. The ice show with it's sound system is top-notch and a nice touch before the formal dinner and then the main show in the 1350 seat theatre with lowering orchestra pit, stage turntable, and on-and-on. We find the only time that the enormity of the number of passengers is noticeable is on formal nights when folks line up for formal pictures. The QM2 was more crowded at meal times!! Can't wait for our cruise on Freedom of the Seas in August. Our brother and his family are going with us and the kids are sooo excited!!! Happy cruising!!

My brother and I have sailed on many ships, large and small, luxury and so-so. This includes QE2 and QM2, and all the Voyager (Eagle) class ships of RCCL. We most definately prefer the Huge RCCL ships. A little known fact is that there is more public space per passenger on these ships, not less. This amounts to very roomy areas and impressive spaces ie the amazing 3 deck main dining room with it's massive chandelier, huge centrums, etc. The ice show with it's sound system is top-notch and a nice touch before the formal dinner and then the main show in the 1350 seat theatre with lowering orchestra pit, stage turntable, and on-and-on. We find the only time that the enormity of the number of passengers is noticeable is on formal nights when folks line up for formal pictures. The QM2 was more crowded at meal times!! Can't wait for our cruise on Freedom of the Seas in August. Our brother and his family are going with us and the kids are sooo excited!!! We can find no fault with RCCL. Happy cruising!!

The differences for me was the amount of people. On the bigger ships there were so many people and everything was always crowded. There were days we couldn't get in to some of the things we tried to do. On the smaller ship there were less people so more of an opportunity to do the things offered though they were limited.

Archived