Voyager - Can you go smaller for a week!?

I've done the Mariner, Navigator, Sovereign, and Majesty. The smaller ships are great for a quick weekend getaway, but I couldn't do a whole week on a ship like that. What about the smaller classes of ships, such as the Jewel. I can't imagine not having a Royal Promenade!!???

Wow--when we were on the Explorer, I think I walked down the Promenade maybe twice. I'm not very interested in shopping on the ship--don't really do souveniers!--Think we went to a bar there, once. I wouldn't miss having the promenade--going on Brilliance next week. No promenade there!

Get real,lol 91000 tons isn't small. Try the MS Southward an old NCL ship. It was 16000 tons. Now thats small. It was my first cruise and I thought it was huge. I am leavin in 10 days on the Nav. I personally don't expect it to be my cup of tea but thats what my friends are going on. I like to think I am on a ship not staying in a shopping mall...:(

I enjoyed the parades, people watching, and the cafe. It was always neat to see what cute things they had going on. What is there for 24 hour food on the smaller ships. The cafe promenade was great around 2:00 am after too many martinis!

LOL you keep refering to them as smaller ships. They have the same food places the BIG .:rolleyes: ships do

Okay - it weighs less than the Voyager class ships. I think that classifys it as "smaller." I didn't say that there was anything wrong with that. Just trying to determine what fits my tastes. I would love to know how there could be a cafe promenade with out the promenade. Maybe I like the feel of staying in a mall.

It's not a problem for us. While I prefer Radiance class or better, almost any ship will do if the itenerary is what I want. I guess the difference is we sail for the ports, not the ship.

The best example would be Alaska. We decided to return to Alaska this year on Vision instead of one of the Radiance class ships for two reasons, different itenerary and it's RT from Seattle. Since Vision leaves from Seattle it gives us a chance to spend time in that city post cruise. In the beggining, the itenerary had us sailing Tracy Arm, which was something we wanted to do but, RCI has since dropped that portion. I feel in part because of the price of gasoline vs the price of being in port longer in Juneau. This sailing also stops in two other ports we had not been to including Icy Straight Point and Vancouver BC. The hours of port time in Vancouver are better than most lines (daytime vs night).

If we were sailing for the ship only and hitting essentially the same Caribbean ports year after year, then the ship would make a big difference to us.

We've cruised on a variety of ship sizes and I have to say, I prefer a smaller ship for many different reasons. We haven't yet cruise a Voyager class ship and we have no interest in it, really. When we think of a big ship, we think of longer lines, more kids onboard, more partying, more of a shopping mall than a ship.

We just cruised a 3 dayer on the QM2, to date the largest passenger ship afloat and, while it was gorgeous, we probably will not sail on it again.

We do have a great interest in the Radiance class and will probably sail either that, or an Oceania ship, for our (way in the future) Med cruise.

Bottom line, try it to see how you like it. You may not miss the mall at all.

I've done the Mariner, Navigator, Sovereign, and Majesty. The smaller ships are great for a quick weekend getaway, but I couldn't do a whole week on a ship like that. What about the smaller classes of ships, such as the Jewel. I can't imagine not having a Royal Promenade!!???

I'm with you on this one. We just sailed our first RCCL trip, and it was on the Explorer. I loved the Promenade, DH and DD loved the rock-climbing wall, basketball court and mini-golf. DH said it's the only type of RCCL ship he wants to sail now.

Get real,lol 91000 tons isn't small. Try the MS Southward an old NCL ship. It was 16000 tons. Now thats small. It was my first cruise and I thought it was huge. I am leavin in 10 days on the Nav. I personally don't expect it to be my cup of tea but thats what my friends are going on. I like to think I am on a ship not staying in a shopping mall...:(
Boy did your post bring back memories! My first cruise was on the Skyward! in 83. I have now sailed on most all clases and liked them all. the only neg, on the vision class is no Crown and Anchor lounge!

wow we did a 10 nighter on the Majesty and had 2 days at sea in a row and we enjoyed her. We like the smaller ships. I dont have the need of so many people all over the place. Going on Splendour next month and that one had 4 days at sea in a row and I am sure we will enjoy it just as much. No need really for over priced shops to walk in and right back out of.

I'm with you on this one. We just sailed our first RCCL trip, and it was on the Explorer. I loved the Promenade, DH and DD loved the rock-climbing wall, basketball court and mini-golf. DH said it's the only type of RCCL ship he wants to sail now.

The Radiance class has the rock climbing wall, basketball court and miniature golf course also.

We are going on Serenade this November, first radiance class. Can anyone tell me if there is a cafe similar to cafe promenade on Navigator. On Navigator I enjoyed going to cafe promenade in the afternoons when dh was napping & I'd get that afternnon snack to eat on the balcony.

Thanks

Ask him to consider a Radiance Class ship and he may add them to his list. In many ways, we prefer the Radiance class to the Voyager class, mostly because of all the glass and the elevators that face out onto the ocean. Voyager class ships tend to draw guests to the interior of the ship and it is very easy to forget you are at sea. On Radiance class ships you can see all of the great outside scenery even from inside the ship, and while they lack the Royal Promenade and Skating rink, they have the rock climbing wall, miniature golf, a gorgeous solarium with a retractable glass roof, spectacular Centrums, and other features to compensate.

Enchantment of the Seas is the only Vision class ship, at this point, to have a concierge lounge. It is one of the nicest in the fleet. If they stretch any more of the Vision ships (Rhapsody has been rumored), it is likely that a concierge lounge will be added.

While it seems as though a lot of people around here flame you for this.... I agree. While any ship IS better than no ship, I am with you and I LOVE the Voyager class ships. However I sailed on Jewel out of Boston on a 10 day last fall, mainly because the port is 45 minutes from home, let me tell you I WAS NOT BORED. The ship has ALMOST everything a Voyager class has. These class ships are beautiful! And while they incorporated almost everything a Voyager class has, you never lose that feeling of being on a ship, as you tend to do on the Voyager class ships. I am sailing Adventure in May and can't wait to be on another Voyager class, but I wouldn't hesitate to do Radiance class again.

To each his own :)

~Jen

Great thread. We have cruised on over 40 different ships from a 20 passenger yacht (it was an old 2 masted schooner) to the Voyager Class size ships. All things being equal I would take the small yacht. Haven't you heard... "size isn't everything." :) By the way, if you are curious that small boat was called the Sea Crown (you can probably find it with google) and we spent 7 days cruising the Ionian Islands. We could have spent another week, but they ran out of beer (the other 18 passengers were from Holland and Germany).

Hank

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

I sailed on the Navigator of the Seas & we chose this ship because there were 16 of us from the same family and thought it would provide a lot of choices for things to do and places to eat. BUT - I wouldn't choose a ship this big if it's just the two of us. I love the size and configuration of the Enchantment. I thought it much better than the Voyager-Class size. I like the natural light you get in the Atriums of the RCCL ships with the big windows. The Navigator was just too big. It seemed crowded and noisy and the big atrium reminded me more of a shopping mall than a ship.

With the Enchantment heading to Tampa in the Winter of 2007 I think that may be what we do next. I would love to drive 20 minutes to the port instead of 3 hours or flying to Puerto Rico! We've got AOS booked for December, and are trying an AI in Mexico next month, so that fills my major vacation quota for 2006. Time to start thinking '07!! Thanks for all your help!

Boy did your post bring back memories! My first cruise was on the Skyward! in 83. I have now sailed on most all clases and liked them all. the only neg, on the vision class is no Crown and Anchor lounge!

Seems like theres a lot of us old NCL'ers around.My first was in 82 on the Starward.And while I was fairly young...It seemed like a monster...(well,except for the room)...:D

I don't go to the Promenade to shop... I go to people watch. I very much enjoyed the pub on the Explorer because the bar seating was close to the front (unlike on Vooyager) and easier to people watch. The cafe was also a plus.

Radiance definitely had perks too tho. The Solarium was awesome. Seaview Cafe had good food late (tho not as late as Promenade Cafe)... the glass elevators were always fun.

But the Promenade gives you a good deck to "cut thru" from one end of the ship to the other... somehow I kept having to cut thru the shopping area of the Radiance and it was sooooooo crowded in a tiny tiny hall. Very cramped and uncomfortable especially after shows.

While the Voyager class holds more people, I never felt crowded (except at the times where they wanted everyone in one place like parades, shows, etc...) or felt that service was slow due to crowding.

Everyone is looking for something different in their cruise vacation, and I'm sure everyone can have their preferences met. You just have to try them all and figure out what yours are! :)

Archived