Summit Live to Alaska 8/30/24 to 9/6/24

robbinsca

4 minutes ago, haynesra said:

Going on this trip next year. At ISP, was there anything really to do in Hoonah? The gondola and zipline is definitely a no-go for us at those prices (really). Looking for maybe some local shops and food. Otherwise this may be a nice quiet day onboard for us.

Hoonah isn’t a big town, and probably only has a few places to eat. If you don’t want to do the ZipRider then you could look at a whale watching tour or some fishing. 

Lots of discussion on this in Alaska forum

12 minutes ago, haynesra said:

Going on this trip next year. At ISP, was there anything really to do in Hoonah? The gondola and zipline is definitely a no-go for us at those prices (really). Looking for maybe some local shops and food. Otherwise this may be a nice quite day onboard for us.

Not really much shopping there but The Crab House was the best crab we had on the trip. And ask for a Crabby Bloody Mary. Icy Strait Brewing Company if you are in to craft beer. 

On 9/6/2024 at 6:54 PM, haynesra said:

Going on this trip next year. At ISP, was there anything really to do in Hoonah? The gondola and zipline is definitely a no-go for us at those prices (really). Looking for maybe some local shops and food. Otherwise this may be a nice quite day onboard for us.

Not really. The town is not very wealthy. They have a couple of bars/ restaurants for locals but not much else. We had enjoyed watching eagles around their harbor in the past, but that wasn’t going on this time.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2024 at 2:28 PM, If only said:

Robbinsca any chance you could let me know if Maren is working in Cellermasters. We met her a few years ago & she is very knowledgeable with her wines.   It would be appreciated 

I tried looking in there but kept forgetting the name I was supposed to check for. Sorry!

We woke up to very high seas on Hubbard Glacier day and my first comment was “we are not going to see the glacier”. Sure enough, the announcement came about 945 that safety was the first concern and it was decided to not enter the fjord.

I had no problem with the decision, but I have seen Hubbard before. I feel for the first timers in Alaska that they did not get to see this magnificent site. It really is a high point of the cruise itinerary.

That being said there were lots of people who wouldn’t have seen it in any case. Many people’s stomachs did not do well in the 12 foot swells. We stayed on the lower decks most of the day and were completely comfortable. By mid afternoon we felt comfortable enough to go up to the Sky Lounge for trivia. The young man that asked to join us said the other three people in his group were hunkered down in their room so he was wandering the ship trying to find things to do.

Funny story- there was a Broadway trivia game that had a team that got 28 out of 28 answers correct and won. We thought we did well with 24. Of course being the performers that did the Carole King show earlier in the cruise have them the advantage of being pros against us amateurs! They did  say they would have been embarrassed if they missed any since all three had majored in Fine Arts- Performance in college.

Breakfast in the buffet was quite an adventure evidently according to fellow passengers I spoke to. We ate in the MDR for all three meals. The seas had calmed down enough by dinner time that the Broadway Cabaret show was able to be presented.

Debarkation was very easy. We took the ship’s bus in to the Anchorage airport. It was just under 3 hours with an informative driver. The recommendation was to not do this unless your flight was after 3 PM, but we arrived at the airport before 1045. We walked off with our luggage but our travel buddies left theirs out the night before without any issues.

The flight to Seattle arrived early, which we liked since we were going to have a short turnaround. The Delta had to replace the plane so we ended up leaving Seattle 50 minutes late. We have a curfew at our local airport, but made it in with a grand total of 2 minutes to spare!

• Like 1

Overall- the good and the bad….

We would take the Summit again. The ship is an older one and doesn’t have all the bells and whistles.

The good-

The food was better than we have been experiencing while cruising since the pandemic. 

The ship was very clean, the only issues I saw were wear and tear on most of the chairs in the MDR.

The service was very good. The main hostess in the MDR remembered that we liked the shared table and greeted us by acknowledging that was our preference. It takes a well trained staff to do the little things like that.

The buffet was well laid out. I have been on ships where the only choice for eggs at breakfast was the powdered ones in the buffet line. There were fresh baked goods being made in front of you as well as omelette, pasta stations, eggs your way, a fresh baked pizza station and a carving station at different times of the day. There was an English Breakfast section as well as an American Breakfast section, and lunch had Asian and Latin specialties for lunch.

The onboard Naturalist, Celia, was absolutely outstanding. I was a Corporate Trainer for nearly 20 years and I really appreciate it when someone can stand in front of a crowd with a thorough mastery of their subject as well as a full understanding of how to keep your audience engaged.

The quibbles-

I am on vacation….don't consistently make me get up at 7 AM to see the ports. It may be good for Celebrity to hit the open seas at 330 in the afternoon, but I would rather be in port from 9 to 5 than be there from 7 to 3. Juneau had a 14 hour visit but the other visits were about 7 hours. 

The guest entertainers were mediocre. I already vented about the Carole King tribute, but I heard they were just as bad in an additional show they did. The comedian was good, but magicians do nothing for me….I know, personal taste….

While the food was better my luxury experience in the dining could still be improved. Spaghetti and marinara sauce is not a special treat. The steaks are still choice, not prime quality.

Icy Straits Point has become a commercial port. If you don’t want to spend $250 p/p on an excursion there is nothing to do except browse the shops….again…..

IMG_5459.jpeg

IMG_5462.jpeg

IMG_5466.jpeg

IMG_5441.jpeg

IMG_5425.jpeg

IMG_5400.jpeg

IMG_5382.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice photos of all the ports. I'm going to for sure go to the Red Dog Saloon. I'm hoping it will be a great experience. Thanks again for your review and all the photos.  Stay Safe.