Snorkling in Progreso

We are going be there next week and have question about snorkling.

How is the snorkling there? Do we leave our snorkling gear at home, as we have some nice equipment as we enjoy it. But I read a few posts that

the water is murkey due to the waves.

If snorkling is out what do you sugguest of a family with kids 7 and 9 to do

that is safe?

Thanks

We are going be there next week and have question about snorkling.

How is the snorkling there? Do we leave our snorkling gear at home, as we have some nice equipment as we enjoy it. But I read a few posts that

the water is murkey due to the waves.

If snorkling is out what do you sugguest of a family with kids 7 and 9 to do

that is safe?

Thanks

Snorkeling is pretty much non-existant. The only place I snorkeled and actually saw fish was at the cenote at the Dzbilchaltun ruins.

If you or your family are at all into Mayan ruins go to one of the ruins.

Uxmal is my favorite but if you would like a nice refreshing swim with your ruins, Dzbilchaltun is not far from the port, has a nice little museum, some OK ruins and a pleasant cenote and clean, large washrooms where it is easy to change in and out of bathing suits.

• 1 month later...

People have this myth tthat is perpetuated on boards hat the Caribbean is crystal clear and the gulf is not. That is not correct. Parts of the Caribbean have terrible water and parts of the gulf are super clear. Probably the best diving and snorkling anywhere in the Gulf-Caribbean basin is Alacrans reef, north of Progreso. (Alacrans reef is sometimes anglicized to Scorpion reef). You will not find clearer water or more fish per square inch anywhere!!

As for the area around Progreso, go east some and the water becomes nicer. I have a beach house 16 km east of Progreso (See my house at http://www.drennon.org/yucatan/pictures.html ). The area of ocean off Progreso and surrounding will never be as clear as Cozumel, not because it is in the "gulf" but because there is a large shallow bank with a limestone sand bottom. If the winds have been down, it clears up. If the winds are stirring, it murks up. The fact that it is a warm area with a lot of limestone sediment for its depth, a lot of Calcium Carbonate is dissolved,it becomes super saturated and precipitates out. The water is fine.. just the conditions of a shallow bank are not that great for visibility. You will see the same thing in the little bahama bank, for example. The sailing here is great by the way! There is club in Chicxulub where you can rent sailboats, go kite-sailing, and the like. Great fun! The seafood is great and fresh and very reaonably priced.

Take some links from my webpage for ideas. I hope you have a great time visiting our area.

Bill

Archived