martinique

ameliaw

We were there on a Sunday and most of the shops were closed. We and four busloads of other people, took a tour that Carnival touted as their most popular. Well, it wasn't that great, being too long with too few stops. I'm sure there must be other things to do there. It IS a beautiful island.

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

My wife and I sailed there about 5 years ago. Though the island was absolutely beautiful, the people were very rude. I would imagine this is a product of cruise lines pulling out of Martinique and opting for St. Lucia. If you go, I would definately book a planned shore excursion as opposed to going alone. I am sure that you will find some responses that are positive. My wife and I have been to most of the islands in the Caribben and Martinique by far was the least desirable.

Jason

I found the people to be quit pleasant. It is a different experience because the economy is not dependent on Americans for tourism and survival. Most people have a decent income as you can see by looking in the stores. It is more like Paris than Jamaica. I, too have been to just about all of the islands in the Caribbean and I would rank it in the upper half. I think this is a port that is what you make of it. If you go in there thinking the people are rude and that you will not like the port, you probably will end up with that experience. For me, I enjoyed it.

A good idea is to head to a ferry within walking distance of the ship. FOr $5 you cna get over to a very nice beach for a day. Clothing was optional, but there were bars, food and everything else available.

Next: #23 Dawn Princess 10/04

Photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/kkorman

http://community.webshots.com/user/kkorman1

http://community.webshots.com/user/kkorman2

Last Few: Coral Princess 6/04 (AK-South), Coral Princess 4/04, (Canal-FLL-VAN), Conquest 12/03 -New Years, Norwegian Sky b2b 12/03

We stopped at Martinique two years ago while on a Destiny cruise. Heard so many bad things about the island beforehand but was very pleasantly surprised during our visit. We negotiated an island tour with an English speaking cab driver on the pier (think it was $110 for 4 of us to go on a 3.5-4.0 hour tour). The island is really beautiful once you get beyond the pier and downtown area. The rain forest and Mt. Pele were awesome. We had a very enjoyable day in Martinique.

Kevin

Adventure of the Seas - 2004

Destiny - 2003

Splendour of the Seas - 2002

Sea Princess - 2001

Majesty of the Seas - 2000

Inspiration - 1998

Ecstasy - 1997

Archived