Our Day in Progreso

Honestly, I loved Progreso more than Cozumel. It was so neat to see "real" Mexican life. Some of the folks we talked to weren't crazy about how people are always walking up and trying to sell you something, but it didn't bother me. It is their way of life and I found it interesting. It was sort of like the Home Shopping Network and internet shopping with a dash of mall shopping all rolled into one.

We had planned to take a Dz tour, but ended up not doing that. There was a sign right at the pier though for a 3 hour tour for $30 per person including the entrance fee. Actually it was a whole little shop there on the pier that did tours and the prices were MUCH better than the ship tour prices.

Pier shopping in Progreso is great. The prices are much cheaper than in Cozumel but everything is just as clean and nice. We bought all of our jewelry there.

We took the free bus ride into town but if you wanted to get a taxi (which we did on the way back) it was only $6 for the three of us. As soon as you get off the bus there is a market with such cool stuff. Hammocks were anywhere from $12-25, hair braiding from $15, and every other trinket you can imagine was being sold in the market.

Then we walked 3 blocks or so down to the beach. There are little shops all along the way. Yes, the vendors in Progreso are much more assertive than those in Coz, but this seems to be an area that is maybe a bit more poor and it is very UNcommercialized.

The beach was beautiful! People were swimming and laying around but there were a ton of folks up flying kites and playing volleyball.

We ate lunch at Casa Denis. It was very good but a bit pricey. It cost us about $45 for the three of us. HOWEVER, I *think* this is more of an upscale sort of place. It even had a sand play area right there in the patio for kids to play on. We had one of those guitar guys play and sing to us while we looked out over the beach. It was awesome.

There were lots of other restaurants to eat in though. Most looked a bit more laid back and noisey than Casa Denis. I suspect their menus were a bit cheaper and less intimidating. Our waiter had to explain everything to us and the menu was several pages long. The food was fabulous though. Their house special is huge shrimp stuffed with ham and cheese, wrapped in bacon and then battered and fried. It was to die for!

Unfortunately we'd spent so much time shopping that we didn't have time for a ruin tour or anything else. We could have gone to the beach for a couple of hours but we had so much stuff with us by this time that we opted to go back to the ship and lay around the pool.

Oh, and we forgot to ride the double decker bus! It really looked like a LOT of fun too.

Again, I really enjoyed our time at Progreso and hope to go back to spend some more time there.

I totally agree with Wannabea. We just returned today on the Elation and we spent the day at the beach in Progreso. My 8 yr old even told me he was having the time of his life and asked if we could skip Disney World next year and go on another cruise, and of course I agreed. :) We had an excellant waiter I guess you call him there on the beach, Armando. We sat at the free tables and we had a bucket of Coronas, he brought us food from La Saint Bonet and we just had a great time. My son was walking around like all the others picking up sea shells and a local, elderly, woman walked up and gave my ds a bag to put his shells in, she was such a friendly woman, and honestly all the locals we came in contact with other than the "pushy" vendors were very friendly. I understand why the vendors were pushy, and I bought from a lot of them!! :p Except I am kicking myself for not buying a hammock and so is my dh. I would go back in a heart beat. I was scared by all the negative reviews of Progreso, and dh and I both agreed we had a wondeful time and met a lot of new, nice people there too. I have totally learned now not to be scared off by reviews, everyone has a differnt view of things.

My mom and I are going on our first cruise May 15th. Our first port of call is Progeso, and I wasn't sure what to expect. I think we're going to skip any particular shore excursions and play it by ear. Do a little shopping and eating, and see what the day brings. It was so refreshing to read some opinions of Progreso, and it just makes me that more anxious to travel there. Thanks again for all ya'lls thoughts, us newbies will take all the help we can get!!:)

Glad to see that some people actually realize that they are travelling to third world countries ......there are still those around !!!!

and to actually find one that is not totally crowded with McDonalds, KFC, Burger Kings, Hard Rock Cafes, Senor Frogs, etc etc etc on every corner .... is a treat.

Looking to book a Voyager cruise out of Galveston when bookings open so will be there next year !!!! Hope it is still laid back and charming :)

• 2 weeks later...

HI ALL... We were there last October....just before Wilma....onboard the Dream.....Not having been scheduled there...did not know what or where......so we took the ship tour , and it included a horse and buggy ride thru a large part of the city.....great.....while waiting to return to the ship, and having a beer...we also ordered some Tacos.......someone in the group made the statement "that's not the way to make them"....thinking 'Taco Bell"......food is different in all parts of the world....These were GREAT.... so if you go....do not expect to see a "tourist town.." you will see how the Mexican people really live...... will be back there this November....:)

jus' me....jim...the velvet teddy bear :cool:

We were there in October of 04. We went on a tour to the ruins and had a good time. The shops at the pier were great. The people were fun to deal with. We also sat at the small thacheted roof bar and enjoyed the Sol Beer. The lady working at the bar was very nice. I think her name was Catherine not sure though. She had a special mix for shots that was great. Fifth of Tequila, 1/2 fith of grenadine and 2 litre bottle of sprite.

Off the subject.

Enjoy the back roads in Life. Take the time to make a left turn off the main road and see what life has to offer. Most people will turn right because it is easier and they do not want to cross the traffic. You will be surprised what you will find.

Arrohead-55. What a great philosophy, taking the road less traveled. You experience soooooo much more of what this world has to offer. Only 32 more days till I return to the Yucatan for 10 full days. Having difficulty deciding what small rural towns to visit this time. Possibly Izamal and a return to Ticul. Most of the time will be in Merida.

It's worth repeating, TAKE THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED.

Glad to see that some people actually realize that they are travelling to third world countries ......there are still those around !!!!

and to actually find one that is not totally crowded with McDonalds, KFC, Burger Kings, Hard Rock Cafes, Senor Frogs, etc etc etc on every corner .... is a treat.

:)

Hola Tex,

I concur. If you need to see what life is like here, just walk several blocks into the city. No tourist. Noone speaks English. You can buy a bottle of water and a coke for $1. Miss Ginger bought a pair of sweats for $6 and I got a nice shirt for $6.

We have been to Progreso 3 times and find something different to do each trip. One thing that I can't get over is the egg sales in town. They have an egg truck that delivers and they sell eggs by weight. (How many eggs are in a kilo?) And all of this is close to a Dominos Pizza. Go figure.

• 2 years later...

We returned yesterday from a 5 day cruise, to Progreso and Cozumel. We all enjoyed Progreso most. The prices are reasonable, the people are friendly, and they go over and beyond to please you. We hired a cab for the day basically, for $25 (5 adults) and the driver, Jose, was amazing. He didn't speak much English, but it wasn't a problem. We went to Dzibilchaltun where he ran up to an older gentleman in a Panama hat, and brought him to us. For $20, this colorful Mayan descendant took us around the village, educated us on the Mayan culture, and led us to the Cenote where my son dove right in. Then Jose took us into Merida, pointed out the tourist spots, shopping, showed us the amazing mural at the Governors Palace, then took us around the corner and down the street to a fantastic little cantina where we all ate and drank Sol for $25. It was the bext Mexican food I've ever tasted.

Tip well when you're in Progreso and maybe they will one day be as shiny and sparkly as you'd like. Personally, I hope they NEVER become like Cozumel, but remain humble and friendly.

We returned yesterday from a 5 day cruise, to Progreso and Cozumel. We all enjoyed Progreso most. The prices are reasonable, the people are friendly, and they go over and beyond to please you. We hired a cab for the day basically, for $25 (5 adults) and the driver, Jose, was amazing. He didn't speak much English, but it wasn't a problem. We went to Dzibilchaltun where he ran up to an older gentleman in a Panama hat, and brought him to us. For $20, this colorful Mayan descendant took us around the village, educated us on the Mayan culture, and led us to the Cenote where my son dove right in. Then Jose took us into Merida, pointed out the tourist spots, shopping, showed us the amazing mural at the Governors Palace, then took us around the corner and down the street to a fantastic little cantina where we all ate and drank Sol for $25. It was the bext Mexican food I've ever tasted.

Tip well when you're in Progreso and maybe they will one day be as shiny and sparkly as you'd like. Personally, I hope they NEVER become like Cozumel, but remain humble and friendly.

Where did you hire the driver for the day at??? At the pier, or somewhere else.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You mentioned hiring a cab for the day in Progreso... The $25 for day seems cheap.. so the cruise ship had nothing to do with it... lol. Where did you find cab to rent for day? At the pier, or did you have to go in a little farther? Would they also take you to Meridia?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived