Formal Dinner

This is our first cruise. Taking our kids age 21 ande 18. Is the formal Dinner optional? What is the benefit of attending? We really have no idea what to expect. Any advice?

Yes Formal Dinner is optional. But alot of people like to do the Dress up thing and others don't and choose Lido for Dinner.

Yes, it's optional.... There will also be the Lido Deck buffet, Pizza, & room service available if you opt not to go to the dining room on those evenings. It's a great opportunity to get all dressed up and get some fantastic family portraits though. There are photographers with different backdrops all over the public areas and you can "ham it up" at all of them if you choose.

A lot of passengers dress fancier for formal nights, and a lot don't. I look at it as kind of being in one of those old movies where everybody was all gussied up at the same time for dinner. I'm just a romantic at heart, I guess. The dinners are a little more special on that/those night(s). Of course, you always have the option of eating dinner at the buffet or having something delivered through room service. (and that applies to any night) The "suggestions" for attire can be found on the website under FAQs, and the same info will be in your Welcome Aboard booklet you get with your documents from Carnival.

Dress in whatever attire you feel is appropriate for you. It's really not that big of a deal, but there sure are a lot of people who are very opinionated about this. I'm sure they'll be along shortly!

Enjoy your cruise!

This is our first cruise. Taking our kids age 21 ande 18. Is the formal Dinner optional? What is the benefit of attending? We really have no idea what to expect. Any advice?

You can opt for the lido deck, but if this is your first cruise i would suggest going to at least one formal night just to see what its like. If you don't want to go all out on your attire, simply wear Sunday best and you will fit in fine, there will be plenty of others dressed the same way so you won't feel out of place or underdressed.

It being your first cruise and all you don't want to miss any experiences.

Whatever you decide to do relax and enjoy yourself. You can do as much or as little as you want to.

I was just going to 2nd the motion of if you haven't had a family portraits done lately its a great opportunity to do so. Some of the photographers do a great job getting some good shots...besides everyone will be looking sharp that night.

Its your first cruise so go for it, if you decide it is not for you than eat at the buffet on the next formal night.

It actually feels nice to get all dressed up and prance around, get your pictures taken, have a lobster dinner and then go to a show.

My kids, 12, 19, 20, love to dress up and get lots of attention.

Something nobody has mentioned....IF you want lobster during your cruise, the only way to have it is in the dining room on formal night. It isn't served anywhere else. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Since Carnival advertises "lobster on every cruise"...some friends of mine came back from a cruise complaining about NO lobster on the ship. When they told me that they had dinner at the Lido buffet on formal night, I explained why.:rolleyes:

Don't miss the formal dinner. Lobster and prime rib of beef. What a meal. If you are not dressed in formal no problem. There was one Metr'd that invited every one to his formal dinner as long as they were not wearing shorts and jeans. Come and enjoy was his invitation. A nice pair of slacks and shirt for the men and a dress for the ladies would be just fine. It's your vacation get as much out of it as you can. I'm sure you will all have the time of your lives.

Just like eveyone else said..Don't miss the formal nights in the dinning room. That is when they produce the best food! You paid for the cruise now enjoy the fruits of it. You don't have to get dressed in a tux, suit or evening gown. Just dress like you do for the other nights business casual and you will be fine.

Go for it....It's a chance to have a really nice family portrait taken at a cost you would never find if you had it taken at home. Last year I did the Tux but I wouldn't do it again. I just don't like them but was talked into it by my fiance'. Other than that, if you don't want to go all out, like others have said, just dress like it was Sunday and you'll do fine.

Most importantly, enjoy the cruise!

Don't miss the formal dinner. Lobster and prime rib of beef. What a meal. If you are not dressed in formal no problem. There was one Metr'd that invited every one to his formal dinner as long as they were not wearing shorts and jeans. Come and enjoy was his invitation. A nice pair of slacks and shirt for the men and a dress for the ladies would be just fine. It's your vacation get as much out of it as you can. I'm sure you will all have the time of your lives.

Several people had jeans on both formal nights on our cruise. Only ones we heard of getting tossed were a couple in tanktops and shorts. That they don't like to waive the rules on any night except the first night. I guess

Archived