Matanuska Glacier- 2hours from Anchorage

momeason

We are spending 6 days pre-cruise in the Anchorage/ Kenai Peninsula area with a rental car. I just discovered a walk up Glacier we may be able to trek on. Has anyone been there? There is a small privately owned park where you can access this glacier. I am going to do more research, just wanted to know if any of you world travelers had been there.

We booked the 3 hour tour in August on that glacier. All the research I did on MICA guides came up good. People on the board also seem to reccommend them. We do not want to spend $600+ for a heli ride and limited time on the ice. I would rather spend that money on other excursions and get my glacier fix on Matanuska for 1/4 the $$$.:)

The guides don't start their season until May 27. We will be there May 18. This evening I talked to the owner of the private park which allows access

to the trails up to the top of the Glacier. He said the park will be open and we should be able walk up to and onto the ice on our own. The park opens May 1. I was interested in a guide to use the poles and maybe boots. The owner does not rent any at the park. He said people go up in their sneakers all the time. I am hoping to trek around so some equipment would help. Maybe I can rent some in Anchorage. I will ask my B and B hosts about that. I wanted to hike up to Harding Ice Field at Exit Glacier in Seward but that trail is closed until July. We are going in mid-late May.

Like you, we are trying to do and see a lot without paying so much. We have 6 days in the Anchorage/Kenai area before our cruise. These cruiseship excursions at $250 plus pp are too much for the 4 of us. We have a lot of great things planned. We found a nice B and B in Anchorage which has a room for 4 and lets their guests borrow bicycles. The Tony Knowles Coastal Trail is supposed to be awesome.

We hiked Matanuska Glacier last year in early June and used a guide. You really need crompons because the ice is slippery. However if you go too far into the glacier you could have trouble finding your way out. We hiked a little on our own and there was some rocks imbeded in the glacier that you can use as traction and also as a trail to find your way out. We could'nt go as far as we liked to so we took the guided tour the next day. It's almost like a maze. We also hiked part of the Harding Ice Field trail in late May. We were able to get as far as Marrmont field where the snow got too deep for me although some people were going further. It was a wonderful hike even though we did not go all the way. When you get to Seward check in the visitor center in town to see how far up the trail is hikeable. They always say the trail opens later than it does. The visitors center in the park doesn't open until Memorial Day weekend.

Just to echo Eileen G, when I was researching the glacier I came across a website detailing how two people underestimated the size and scale of the glacier and got lost. They were stuck on the glacier overnight and felt their lives were in danger. I cannot find the link to the site right now and I am not trying to scare anyone, but if you do decide to go alone, be sure you know what you are doing!

For others maybe considering Matanuska. I definately disagree with the above post from the campground. Unless you will be happy just getting on the very edge of the glacier, you definately need a guide and proper equiptment meaning walking poles and crampons. This glacier offers plenty to see and do with a guide and is just an excellent low cost glacier option. I did a 5 hour trek and the time just flew by.

We are very glad that we have located a very reputable guide company to take us up for a 4 hour trek on this glacier. It will just be my family of 4 and the guide. We are using http://www.theascendingpath.com. This group does summer glacier hikes, after June 15 on the Alyeska Glacier in Girdwood ( south of Anchorage). For those of you who may want to visit Matanuska Glacier after Memorial Day, there are guided trips by http://www.micaguides.com starting at only $45 for a glacier walk with other longer trips still at very reasonable prices. Also, check out the website for the glacier park. http://www.matanuskaglacier.com.

With 4 in our family and a two week Alaska Trip planned, I was thrilled to find a cheaper glacier option!!

Archived