Suggestions For Grenada

Aussie Gal

We will be in Grenada for a day in October this year and we were wondering what one can do there besides the beach, water tubing and the chocolate factory.

Does anyone have a name of a reliable private guide that they can recommend. Also if we decide to go to the beach which is the best beach.

It is our first time in the Caribbean so we are novices and would appreciate any good advice. :)

Thank you.

Jennie

Aussie Gal, we used Mandoo's services when we stopped in Grenada Sept 04.

He is top-rate all the way, an encyclopedia of all things Grenada and a gentleman in the truest sense.

Took 4 couples for a full day trip, Grand Etang, Douglaston Spice Estate and time to swim at Grand Anse. He had us back to the ship with a nice bit of time to spare. A perfect day, and a great way to see the highlights. Be careful however, we're re-visiting Grenada in large part to Mandoo's trip. One day is not quite enough time, in my opinion.

Mac Pete,

Thanks you for verifying Mandoo's services. I have already sent him an email and heard back from him. He is very efficient which I appreciate. We are looking forward to our day in Grenada. It is such a long way from home that it will probably be our one and only visit so we do want to see as much as we can whilst there.

Jennie

Roses2,

I am sorry to read of your bad experience with Mandoo. I have also read most of the other posts regarding him and have decided to go with him as most of the posters speak very highly of his services.

Sometime one can be unlucky and in your case you obviously drew the short straw. This will probably be our only time in Grenada as it is such a long way from home and we do want to see as much as possible. Mandoo has mapped out a good timetable which the ship's excursions cannot match.

We will go with an open mind and hopefully we will have a great experience.

Jennie

I trust you will enjoy your tour with Mandoo, as you say most reviews are positive but as they say you can not please everybody all of the time.

There is much to see in Grenada and for people on cruise ships they can only get a snapshot on a days visit.

There is much to see in Grenada and for people on cruise ships they can only get a snapshot on a days visit.

Which is EXACTLY why we're coming back for more this time! The day trip simply got us planning on a return visit to explore more of what we had seen.

Which is EXACTLY why we're coming back for more this time! The day trip simply got us planning on a return visit to explore more of what we had seen.

Are you planning an actual holiday based on the beautiful island of Grenada?

Review of Mandoo Tour – Grenada - April 2006

We got off the port and Mandoo was right at the gate. He had a sign with our name on it and informed us that we need to hang out for a bit until the rest of the people arrived.

Once he gathered everyone he took us to his bus. There were quite a few people. Some of our family were in jump seats, they said it was not the most comfortable, but it was fine. The tour was a total historical and culture tour. You spent almost the entire time on the bus. There were a few times we got out: the Spice Plantation, Water Fall, Welcome Center, and the Beach.

The Spice Plantation was fun and pretty neat in my opinion. The Welcome Center was a needed break after being the in bus for a couple of hours. The waterfall was pretty, but it was full of people wanting you to buy stuff, Mandoo warned us prior to arriving what it was like.

The food at the beach was horrible. There is no reason to eat there. I would make sure to bring snack food if not a lunch for your day. The beach was nice. I was spoiled because on our last two vacations it was 4 good food places to every souvenir shop and it was quite the opposite in the Caribbean. I’m pregnant so my emergency granola bars and single bottle of water didn’t last long and weren’t getting shared, I know this isn’t Mandoo’s fault but I just want to give everyone a heads up.

Mandoo is full of information and opinions about everything. Some things are quite amusing and you can tell where he stands on the issues. THIS IS NOT A TOUR FOR LITTLE KIDS OR FOR THOSE WHO GET BORED EASILY. This is a purely site seeing tour and is a living history lesson. In my opinion, this is the only tour you can probably take on the island. Every Tour bus that was parked at the port either arrived at each site before us or after us. It is probably a pretty standard tour.

Mandoo’s tour was just fine especially if you like a living history tour of the Island of Grenada. Would I take his tour again NO. but was it worth being along on the ride YES. Would I go back and stay for awhile, only if someone who had similar food and vacation tastes as me referred me to an all inclusive resort and the price was right.

cruisetoscrap,

Thanks so much for sharing you information with us. We have booked Mandoo's tour for October when we only have the one day in Grenada. This will be our only time as I cannot see us returning, being so far away from home, so I will be interested in everything he has to say about the Island.

I will remember about eating at the beach and will bring fruit etc from the ship to snack on.

We are looking forward not only to visiting Grenada but the whole of our 34 day adventure.

Jennie

Are you planning an actual holiday based on the beautiful island of Grenada?

Planned, booked, and nearly packed. We've got a car, a cottage and 10 days with nothing more mapped out than a Fish Friday in Gouyave. See you on the beach!

Planned, booked, and nearly packed. We've got a car, a cottage and 10 days with nothing more mapped out than a Fish Friday in Gouyave. See you on the beach!

Whereabouts are you staying and which car hire company have you used? I hope you enjoy your stay and that Grenada lives up to your expectations. I look forward to hearing about your vacation after you return home.

My husband and I just returned from a cruise on the Sun Princess. I was able to arrange the tour in advance via email. Ian Ian was our private tour guide for the day. He met us at the ship at 8:30 a.m. and we returned to the ship at 5:00 p.m. We traveled all over the island. I would recommend him highly. He has lived in Grenada for approx. 13 years but knows as much as any native. You may contact him at the following email address: qkspice@cabibsurf.com. He is not in the office every day, but should get back to you within a few days. (Let him know the couple that he took to Sauteurs referred you, should you decide to contact him).

Archived