Question..foreign Birth Cert.

bellazoemom

My adopted daughter (7 yrs old) was born in Ukraine. I have a certificate of foreign birth...will that be ok for boarding? I just realized her passport expired this year. So I don't know if the foreign birth cert is ok because of the whole proof of citizenship thing.

The key is your daughter's citizenship--and the exact title of the documents you do have. You did not state if she has US citizenship yet or not. Is this a US passport that expired? If you have the US consular issued report of birth abroad (form FS-240), that is what is issued to US citizens born abroad and is equivalent to a US state issued birth certificate. The other acceptable consular document is the Certificate of Birth (form DS1350). If you have any of the three (expired US passport, DS1350 or FS240) they are acceptable up through the end of this calendar year as proof of citizenship. Otherwise, you will need to renew her passport.

Yes, she is a US citizen. The law is now that any child adopted abroad by US citizens then becomes a citizen themselves. Her expired passport is US..I just wasn't sure that they accepted expired stuff.

bellazoemom,

Yes, expired passports are still accepted until December 31, 2006 per Carnival's website:

U.S. citizens must present proof of citizenship in the form of a passport (valid or expired for less than 10 years), original birth certificate, state-issued certified copy of a birth certificate from the Department of Health and Vital Statistics, or original Naturalization papers.

Relax and enjoy your cruise. :)

As those have stated, her expired pasport is legit, with the adoption papers. my hubby is a naturalized citizen... legal alien... and still carries his card from 1966..... but if yo have both the passport and adoption certif. you're good. If you plan on traveling, please consider a, now US passport for the ease of things.

Archived