Pacific Dawn

sweet_successes

sounds like you are doing your research on the dawn....:)

can you tell me why the "regal princess" which is supposedly the ship being renamed the "pacific dawn" is listed as carrying 1590 passengers, but P&O are listing the pacific dawn as carrying 2000 passengers....

Thats a huge difference in passenger numbers:confused:

I'm assuming either a missprint, optimism, or lots more 4 berth cabins than on the regal princess.

any thoughts?

sounds like you are doing your research on the dawn....:)

can you tell me why the "regal princess" which is supposedly the ship being renamed the "pacific dawn" is listed as carrying 1590 passengers, but P&O are listing the pacific dawn as carrying 2000 passengers....

Thats a huge difference in passenger numbers:confused:

I'm assuming either a missprint, optimism, or lots more 4 berth cabins than on the regal princess.

any thoughts?

I think it's because they will be converting cabins to 3 and 4 berth cabins to suit the Australian market, as they did with Star & Sun, which both carry more passengers than they did as Costa Tropicale and Jubilee, because of this change. Pacific Dawn will have the same number of cabins, but on average more passengers in those cabins.

An interesting side note to the introduction of Pacific Dawn to the Australian market is that it will restore the connection with the old SITMAR Cruiseline, a connection which goes back to the 1950s when they brought refugee's and migrants to Australia, and which will be lost when Pacific Sky leaves P&O.

Pacific Dawn, or Regal Princess as she is currently known, was designed and orded by SITMAR prior to that company's purchase by P&O-Princess (prior to that companies purchase by Carnival). As a part the sale were two ships then in design and construction, one of which was to become Regal Princess.

So Pacific Dawn will join Pacific Sky (formerly Fairsky & Sky Princess), Fair Princess (formerly Fairsea) and Fairstar (which wasn't renamed when P&O took over her operations out of Sydney) as former SITMAR Cruise line ships that have been operated by P&O Cruises Australia, and continue the SITMAR connection.

i was just wondering if they can make so many more spaces for people in cabins as a money grabbing idea have they thought or done anything about the size of the showrooms and deckspace available for the passengers? this was a big problem on the Sun last year as the activities held in the showroom were always meet with people standing up and missing out on seeing them. also the deckspace for lunch and breakfast seems to be a problem on most of the ships.

Hey, it is great that Sitmar is remembered, I worked on Fairsky, Fairstar, Fairsea and Fairwind in the seventies and eighties, it was the best, but not much else was sailing then mainly the Russian liners and some greek ships. so I am really glad that the sitmar connedtion is still continuing, still these days when I cruise I meet some old crew, and sitmar is always remembered as great days at sea.

Archived