Possible tidbits on new ships

rjg41

We just got off Summit last Sunday. We learned from John Howell, CD, some things about the new ships. They may have already been posted, but if not, FYI.

The ship will not carry many more passengers but the extra space will offer additional amenities. Current plans include three specialty restaurants, a ballroom and a conference center in addition to a movie theater. John explained that the movie theater currently doubles as a meeting room for corporate functions and does not fit the bill and conflicts with other activities. The Celebrity Theater will be spectacular. Last year I reported here about the possibility of free style dining which we were told by the Maitre'd in the United States on Infinity. John did not dispute what I was told or the possibility that it is still the plan but he has not heard anything about it so maybe the concept has died as most of us would hope.

The conferance center is interesting especially when coupled with RCCL's recent announcement of short cruises out Miami (5-5-4) for a Voyager class ship with the express intent of going after the corporate conferances market.

The ship will not carry many more passengers but the extra space will offer additional amenities. Current plans include three specialty restaurants, a ballroom and a conference center in addition to a movie theater.

Both new ships will be 2,850-passenger vessels measuring 1,033 feet in length and 121 feet in beam. Their added size will allow Celebrity to offer larger standard staterooms, a higher percentage of balconies

Going from 2,000 to 2,850 passengers is nearly 50% more. I've read the average cabin will increase from 172 Sq ft to 215 sq ft. The ship size increase from about 91,000 tons to 118,000.

Conference Center facilities are already found on M-class ships. Most people don't even realize they are there.

Considering they are still drawing the plans, any "tidbits" above what has been officially released by Celebrity are still conjecture.

2850 is the new capacity based on two passengers per cabin.

Century, in the 4-5 market, will be pushed for the incentive/meeting market.

Understand what your saying but just quotes from CD, John Howell.

From this site:http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews.html

Celestial Ships For Celebrity

February 20: Celebrity Cruises, an affiliate of Royal Caribbean, has ordered a sister to their initial order for a 118,000 gt post-Panamax Challenger-class vessel from Meyer Werft in Papenburg, Germany. The CELEBRITY SOLSTICE is expected to be delivered in the autumn of 2008, while the second ship, named CELEBRITY EQUINOX, is to be completed in the summer of 2009. Celebrity has a history with Meyer Weft, who built five of their cruise ships in the early and mid 1990s. CELEBRITY EQUINOX will be 315 meters long, 36.8 meters wide and carry 2,850 passengers in 1,425 cabins. More than 90% of the ship's staterooms will be outside cabins, and over 90% of those will have balconies. The standard stateroom will measure an above industry average of 215 square feet. Both ships will be equipped with diesel engines and pods powered by a 63,000 kW diesel-electric power plant.

Sure hope they don't do freestyle dining. Sounds annoying. I could see RCCL doing it, but not Celebrity. I've read that the "anytime" dining, or whatever it's called, has not been fairing well and there is a waiting list for the old traditional dining.

Whatever they do...I hope it includes more ammenities like the T-pools.

Archived