1st. time on a conquest size ship

As you all can see this is our first cruise outside of the 70,000 ton market we have done one 46,000 ton. so we know that there is a whole different world between the 46,000 ton ship on the 70,000 ton ships their like day and night. assuming the same for 110,000 tons. we want to hear from people who have been on both 70,000 ton and 110,000 ton ships let us know what you think. pros, cons which you prefer and why if you dont mind. my husbands big think about our next cruise is the waterslide.

I've been on Fantasy class, Spirit class and Conquest class. My favorite is the Fantasy class... only because it is a little more intimate, and easier to maneuvre. My least favorite is the Spirit class... too disorganized (alot of people love them though)... I enjoyed the Conquest class.. there is quite a difference, they are BIG ships, but to me, they are just a large version of the Fantasy class. Any ship to me is a good ship, I think you will enjoy the Conquest class. The waterslide? Eh, I preferred the one on the Sensation, that actually goes into a pool... I don't like the "trough"... but it is a good waterslide!!!!

We were on Victory first (Destiny class?). Our 3 other cruises were on Conquest class - Conquest, Valor and then the Liberty this year. They were all just BIG. They all had the Carvinal feel (and Carnival fun). I love the big shp feel. Then again, I'm not a small-town person -- living in the NYC suburbs. I like all the choices and all the people. Even see the same people over and over on the big ships.

As long as it's floating southbound, the sun is shining and my cell phone doesn't work, I'm in heaven. :)

We had a great time on Valor -- same set-up as the Conquest, which we had been on the year before. Great itinerary -- Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman and Cozumel (pre-Wilma, Cozumel reminded me of Jones Beach). Lots of sun and sand. Drinks were great on Valor (they seemed to forget the alcohol on my Liberty cruise this year). Piano bar was great (we had Ron Pass -awesome- go to his web site at www.ronpass.com to see if he will be on the Valor when you're on - -I think I've posted his web site a zillion times on these threads).

What else? All I know is that we had tons of sunshine (Feb 05), little sleep and lots of fun. No voice (as usual) when I got home due to late nights in the piano bar.

I used to live in Astoria and Rego Park - where are you?

Fantasy and Conquest pros/cons

Fantasy Pros

Feels less crowded

You can eat outside and see the ocean.

Not as much walking

Shorter lines for the slide

Fantasy Cons

Few balconies

No supper club or fish and chips

Conquest Pros

Supper Club, fish stand

few more things to do

Nicer decor than most fantasy ships

Rooms have refrigerators

Conquest Cons

Crowded, longer lines for food

Pool area gets crowded way quick

If you start feeling claustrophobic, go to purser area and walk out the doors there- that deck has empty, padded lounger chairs with a view of the ocean and it is quiet too!

TennisLover I had to reply to your post. I grew up in Astoria and moved to LI in 1958. I had a wonderful childhood there. I now live in Florida and have since 1980. I have fond memories of that little area have not been back in over 30 years.

To reply to the post we are sailing on the Glory for the second time next month. We loved the ship and had a great cruise but our favorite ship in the Inspiration. Much more intimate then the larger ships. I love cruising so any ship will do in a pinch.

TennisLover, I am in Bayside now, but grew up in Brooklyn. I am so glad to hear what a great time you had on the Valor. We were on the Destiny a couple of years ago & enjoyed that. We are now doing the Eastern Carib. Been to Nassau & St. Thomas several times, but never St. Martin.

We've been on several 70,000 ton ships but once we went on the Conquest, we were in love! Since then we've went on the Grand Princess which is about the same size as the Conquest and now we're booked on the Conquest again. I love the bigger ships because there are more activities planned, there are more pools to choose from, there are more restaurants to choose from, and there are amenities that are not available on the smaller ships like rock climbing walls (RCI), skating rinks (RCI), Movies under the stars (Princess), etc. Many of the cool things we like are extras only available on the bigger ships. We loved our Rhapsody of the seas cruise but were really disappointed that there was no rock climbing wall or skating rink, you had to be on a bigger ship to get one of those things on your cruise. When we first went on the Elation, we were a little disappointed that there weren't as many restaurants availalbe on it as there were on the Conquest. The bigger ships just have more stuff! I love them!:D

Archived