Train to Civitavecchia

fb0075

Thinking of taking train from Milan on departure day--sch to arrive at C. at 3:20pm with 6pm departure--

How far is train station from dock and how easy to change trains in Genova---(seasoned traveler)

I realize this close and would scare most but with the european trains , we have found they are very close to schledule!

THANKS FRANK

The train station in Civitavecchia is probably less than a mile downhill from the ship, but I would advise you to take an earlier train. If your ship sails at 6:00 p.m., all aboard will likely be 5:00 so that you can participate in that "mandatory" lifeboat drill. It will probably take you about 20 minutes or so to get from the train tracks, get a cab, load luggage, and ride to the ship if nothing goes wrong. If God forbid something happens with your train connection or if you are there during the infrequent strikes, you're going to miss the ship. Different travelers have different comfort zones, and I can tell you that I was the last person back on the ship in Russia last year, so I'm adventurous, but you're cutting it too close for even a brave soul like me. :) If this were a port call, I'd say go for it, but I think you're cutting it too close for an embarkation to begin your cruise. And changing trains in Genoa is not difficult because that is not a huge train station. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Thanks Donna,

Just found earlier train and can arrive now at 1;20PM WHICH IS SAFE FOR EVEN THE WEAKER HEARTS!!

Still curious about 10 min transfer in Genova--how large as we will be dragging bags?

THANKS FRANK

Yes, your transfer in Genoa will likely be from track 1 to track 5 (that's just an example) and won't be very far. I can't remember whether or not the Genoa train station has carts, but we usually have large pieces of luggage for cruises, and I don't remember any issues with that train station. Our transfer there was smooth. Are you visiting in the Lake Como region prior to your cruise? Since you've traveled by train in Europe before, you know that you can ask the personnel on board the train to verify your transfer track number while on board, so you'll be prepared. I don't think you'll have any trouble but will just need to get some information in advance just like you would look at an airport layout in an on-flight magazine prior to arrival if your connection is tight.

By the way, I think the taxi drivers in Civitavecchia charged us 15 Euros to take 4 of us from the ship to the train station, but we weren't going to walk it with luggage, so what are you going to do?

Are you going to Lisbon (I think I saw that in your post history)? We had a wonderful visit there in 2004.

Donna

• 4 years later...

we are also planning a train trip from Milan to Rome on sail day. My worry is the travel time to and from the train stations at each city. We are two families with young and teen age kids so there will be a lot to remember :eek:

Appreciate any tips on getting to the train station in Milan and from the train station in Rome to the port.

we are also planning a train trip from Milan to Rome on sail day. My worry is the travel time to and from the train stations at each city. We are two families with young and teen age kids so there will be a lot to remember :eek:

Appreciate any tips on getting to the train station in Milan and from the train station in Rome to the port.

There are two normal routes from Milan Centrale to Civitavecchia (the port of Rome):

Milan->Genoa change trains there to Civitavecchia

or

Milan->Roma and change trains there to Civitavecchia

The Genoa route is less expensive since it does not use the fast ES trains and therefore slower.

Advantage: There is often a very long walk at the Rome station (Roma Termini)

Disadvantage: The Genoa station has stairs between some of the tracks. I do not know if that would be the case for this transfer.

To check this, ask over on the sister site, tripadvisor.com. Using either the train forum or the Italy forum

Archived