Whale Watching

nzggator

I was looking on Carnival's shore excurtions and it says Domonica does Whale watching. I am going on a cruise in Septmber and was wondering
if September is a time when you see whales around Dominica. Has anyone tried this excursion? If so, what was it like? Thanks

Matthew :)

I'm not sure about whales. I never seen any. I think the best thing to do in Dominica is tour the country side. We hired a taxi for the day (about $30 each) and he was our tour guide. He took us wherever we wanted to go, and gave us the royal treatment. We hiked in the rainforest and saw the nice waterfalls. Dominica is a beautiful island, and the people are so friendly. Very unspoiled.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been to Dominica not a cruise but to stay on the island for two weeks in late August. Yes, there is a resident pod of sperm whales that lives there. We took a tour through one of the local companies, not only did we see the whales, but saw several breach. Took a while to locate the pod but once they did it was well worth the adventure. Also saw spotted dolphins who [i]loved playing in the wake of our small boat.[/i] These dolphins are smaller than the bottle-nose and are truely the acrobats of the dolphin world. They tail walked, leapt, did flips, spun in the air and turned summersaults just for the pure joy of it. No rewards but you could watch them surfing the wake and playing. I'm not sure whether I was more impressed with the whales or the the dolphins. If you get the chance and have the time take the tour, you won't regret it.

• 5 weeks later...
Did a 2 week cruise on the Noordam last March and the whale watching in Dominica was the highlight of our entire trip. For over an hour 14 whales were never more than a 100 yards away. The best part was when 9 of them came right up to the boat. There was a baby in the group and it came and stayed right along side the boat finally going right underneath. Again, the highlight of our 14 day cruise.

Vic

• 1 month later...
Michmike, let me know if you find out anything more on a whalewatch in Dominca. We are also looking to do one and would rather not book through the ship.
Thanks,
Jan

We did a whale watching shore excursion on the Nordam at the end of March 2003. The whale watching excursion that we booked was one of the shore excursion ones and it was just wonderful. As soon as we got off the ship we walked to the 65' cat boat and pulled away in about 20 minutes. We spent 3 or more hours looking at the whales. It was just fantastic. The whales came right up to the boat and this was the highlight of the entire 14 day cruise. After the whale watching we went for about an hour cruise and went snorkeling in what they called a champaign sea. Another terrific occasion.

Again we booked through the Noordam and had a wonderful time.

Best Regards,

Vic

[color=black][size=3][font=Times New Roman]60 Bahama Star[/font][/size][/color]

[color=black][font=Times New Roman][size=3]73 Rembrandt
79 Starwind
80 Norway
80 Nordic Prince
84 Iceland
85 Germany
86 Sweden
87 Norway, Holland, Denmark
88 Germany
89 England, France, Italy
90 Brazil, Peru, Argentina
91 Columbia
92 Venezuela
96 Zimbabwe
97 South Africa
97 Peru
98 Argentina
98 Kenya, Tanzania
99 South Africa
00 Zimbabwe, South Africa
03/15/03 Noordam[/size][/font][/color][color=#3300cc]
[/color][color=black][font=Times New Roman][size=3]11/17/04 Royal Princess[/size][/font][/color][color=#3300cc]
[/color][color=black][size=3][font=Times New Roman]05/01/05 Jewel of the Seas[/font][/size][/color]

• 2 weeks later...
Just wanted to share this article with all of you. It lists the top 10 places to whale watch and the Dominican Republic made the list. They show humpback whale watching is prime from January to April.

[url]http://fitness.msn.com/articles/feeds/?dept=outdoors&article=od_gp_092004_whales>1=5368[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived