Atkins forum

mecb50

Hello, this is my first visit to this thread. However, I have been doing Atkins since January with the exception of May, June, and 1/2 of July!! I am being honest here folks!! The program works beautifully for me, and my question today is about Sheila's pumpkin recipe? I saw a mention of it but couldn't find anymore info???? I could use something new to try. I leave on Oct. 3 for a 12-day Hawaii cruise, feelin' that aloha!

[quote name='adoptmom']Great job Reggie! I so need to get back on track!

Tami[/QUOTE]

[b][size=5][color=red]It's a lot easier to stay on track,[/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=5][color=#ff0000]than it is to get on track!;) [/color][/size][/b]

It all boils down to how much you want it.
I want it bad and am going to just do it.

I miss my pasta and bread but sure don't miss
the 56 pounds I've lost.:eek:

My blood pressure's down and energy is up.
I can spend an hour at the store without getting winded,
I used to get winded just walking from the car to the store.

Reggie:D

Reggie- I want it bad and I'm glad that I haven't regained the 30 pounds I lost earlier. My problem is that I need to "put myself on project status" as Dr. Phil puts it. I was being good about doing it until last Christmas when my grandma fell and broke her hip. It's been one thing after another since and I'm the only relative within a 6 hour drive. Things are settling down nicely now with her and I've been making a determined effort to get back into the game. My first priority was to get back into an exercise routine. I've managed to do a decent amount at least 4 days a week for the last 3 weeks. So now I'm working on cutting my carbs down. I have an ileostomy and I found out the hard way that if I just start induction full blown it can lead to some pretty nasty side effects. (I'll spare you the details but trust me here! :D ) Yesterday I had about 50 carbs and I'm cutting back over the next week or 10 days to get down to the induction allowed amount.

The funny thing is that I don't miss pasta and bread at all. I miss sweet potatoes, fruit, beans and beets when I'm on induction. :rolleyes: I probably won't stay on induction for more than a couple of weeks. Last time, when I lost the 30 pounds, I found that I could eat about 50 gms of effective carbs and still lose weight as long as I kept up the exercise plan. That's enough to give me access to some of my favorite foods each day. If I can have some berries or half a sweet potato each day then I don't really miss the carby foods we used to live on.

Tami

I am on Protein Power and you would do well on that plan as we are allowed fruist and veggies on our induction Phase. We are "Atkins light" a cross between Atkins and South Beach. I am so use to eating lie this pasta and brad do not appeal to me anymore. but then I have been doing this over 2 years.

Sharpie - Here's Sheila's web page that contains the recipe you're looking for...

[url="http://www.sugarfreesheila.com/"]http://www.sugarfreesheila.com/[/url]

On the left side of the page, click on Original Low Carb Recipes. I've made the mock pumpkin cheesecake several times and it's great!

Bridal maven- I'm just reading protein power again. I had it from the library a while back but bought myself a copy because I did like the flexibility better. It really makes sense to me as opposed to a couple of things in Atkins that I had a hard time with. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm starting on the 7 gms of ECC per meal today. I'll keep you posted on how I do.

Tami

How quickly do you lose on this? Speciifically the woman, I know men lose quicker.

I did do this last Spring and lost some weight but it didn't seem any quicker then any other plan to me. Could it be because I didn't cut out the caffeine? I have a Diet Pepsi addiction, could this be the problem?

SuzieQ- When I was really focusing on me and my weightloss full time I lost 30 pounds in about 3 months. With exercise I was able to eat around 50 effective carbs a day. At that time I had about 90 pounds to lose. It's slower now because I have so many things going on and I have less to lose.

Tami

Oh, I also have caffeine every day in the form of diet coke. Some people actually have an issue with the sweeteners in diet soda. It can make you still crave sweets and interfere with ketosis. There are a couple of really good books you can pick up at the library on low carbing that might give you some variations on a theme. One is How I Gave Up my Low Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds by Dana Carpender and the other is Protein Power Life Plan by Michael Eades and Mary Dan-Eades.

Everyone's a little different in their body chemistry so trying some of the varied plans may help you find the right fit. Dana's book gives an overview of most of the low carb plans out there. I really reccommend it. I like protein power for myself because I can have more variation even in the early phases. I did Southbeach but had to vary it a little because low fat didn't work for me. Strict Atkins gives me some issues with my ostomy and I couldn't maintain it for very long. The best advice I can give you is explore the different plans and find one that you can live with over the long term not just a few weeks.

Tami

• 2 weeks later...
Over the last few weeks I've continued to lose but much more slowly,
only 2 pounds per week.
I need to get back to my original plan of 5-10 grams of carbs per day to kick up the weight loss again. I've added some carbs and have paid the price. It does look like I will be able to develop a maintenance plan to keep the weight off
once I reach my goal and that's a good thing.

Reggie- that's a good thing to know. It gets you past the worries of putting it all back on when you get done. I maintained my 30 pound loss for over a year while I had to put myself on the back burner. I was very glad of it and it wasn't at all difficult since I wasn't used to eating all the candy, chips and crap anymore.

Tami

Hi everyone- Just checking in to say hi. I wasn't making much progress on strict atkins so I've changed things up a bit by doing SB. My biggest issue with the atkins has been ostomy problems. For some reason this time around it's really wreaking havoc. I'm still hanging in there though.

Tami

Hey, restarted Atkins today for the umpteenth time. I lost 80 pd a couple years ago and have gained back about 30 since Feb. I keep starting and stopping in response to stressors around me., a move, selling a house, buying a house, moving my parents into our new house, may dad falling and dying with two weeks of that move....Since May I've been trying to get a grip. Iv'e actually gone 6 days of good food choices before losing it.
I did well today, drank my water at all legal foods and have the major headache to prove it. I want to relose the 30 pds I've gained plus about 10 more before my cruise....
I have a bunch of shows I've "tivod" and will watch them while I walk on the tread mill for an hour each day, makes it go quicker..
Hope I can stay with it and visit with ya'll every now and then and see how everyone is doing.

Went on Atkins Sunday booked the cruise Wedsday Nov 15th.
Sail date FEb 26th, 2006. Would like to loose 25-30. but I know I am being aggressive. Plan on treadmilling/walking even in yucky weather.

Isn't is great how cruising motivates you!!
We cruizers are great loving accepting folks...no matter what size.

Elizabeth 199lbs and dropping

Hi everyone! Hope you're doing well out there. I did really well last week losing 5 pounds. I'm down 2 this week, but TOM is taking it's toll. I'm getting ready to go do my grocery shopping for Thanksgiving. It's at my house this year and everything I cook with the exception of mashed potatoes (which I don't like:D ) is going to be low carb. My SD is bringing all the carby stuff like stuffing and then TAKING IT HOME WITH HIM!

I'm having turkey, mashed cauliflower, low carb greenbean casserole, sugarless cranberry chutney, and low carb regular and pumpkin cheese cakes. I'll definitely be getting more than my normal 30 carbs on Thanksgiving but at least nothing should set me off on a cravings rampage.

Tami

How about sharing your recipe for the sugarless cranberry chutney.

Gotta have the cranberries for turkey day but the canned stuff is
way too high in sugar.:eek:

I just add extra onion, celery and some pork sausage with just a little bread to make my stuffing. It's not the greatest, but works.

Reggie- This is an Indian chutney recipe so it ain't your pilgrim's cranberry sauce but it is very good. Low Carb and Lovin It on [url]www.foodnetwork.com[/url] has a cranberry sauce that is more traditional. Also note that this is meant to be a condiment so it's a little more carby than you might normally want. After TG spread a tablespoon or two on a low carb tortilla and load it up with leftover turkey for a great lunch. I do leave in the raisins but you could substitute other lower carb dried fruits if you want.

Sugarless Cranberry Chutney

1 3/4 pounds tart apples, chopped
36 ounces (3 bags) cranberries
2 cups of brown splenda or 2 cups splenda plus 1 tbls molassas
1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
1/2 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 Tablespoon salt
1/2 Tablespoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
up to 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 pound dark raisins

Place all ingredients in a sauce pan and cook over medium heat. Stir occasionally. Cook 25-30 minutes or until thick. Fruit will still be chunky. It's better when made ahead and refrigerated at least overnight. Can be frozen or canned.

Archived