Rhapsody of the Seas 4/9-4/16 review part 1

Rhapsody of the Seas cruise review part 1

Background: We traveled with our three children: 8 yr & 10 yr old boys, & 13 yr old girl. We had two inside cabins next to each other 3573 & 3575. This was my wife & I 6th cruise and our children’s 2nd.

Past cruise experience: Chandris Victoria (1989), Celebrity Mercury (1999), Sea Princess (2001), Grand Princess (2003), & Carnival Paradise (2004) –with the kids.

Pre Cruise: We flew ATA airlines the day before the cruise from LaGuardia NY to Houston Hobby airport. Unfortunately one piece of our luggage didn’t make it to Houston with us (our kids clothing). We did a one way Enterprise minivan rental to Galveston and stayed at The LaQuinta Inn & Suites. The hotel was clean and had free breakfast the next morning. Our missing piece of luggage arrived at around 1 am at the hotel.

Embarkation day: After breakfast I dropped off my family & luggage (11:15 am) at the pier and returned my car. Enterprise took me to the pier. Check-in was a breeze and we boarded the ship and we were eating lunch in the Windjammer by 12:00. They didn’t allow anyone to the cabins until 1:00.

For a ship that was built in 1997 she was in good shape. During our cruise the crew was changing carpeting in many areas on the ship – most of the stairway carpets and the entire outdoor carpet area on the lido deck was replaced. When our cruise ended they were replacing carpet in the cabins on deck 3. We really liked the layout of the ship—very easy to navigate. The Rhapsody is classy and not glitzy. The extensive use of glass provided stunning ocean views.

Our cabins were very well laid out and although not large very functional and had plenty of storage room. The beds were firm but comfortable. The shower had good water pressure. Our cabin steward introduced himself to us immediately and was fantastic throughout the cruise- towel animals and mint chocolates every night!!! He greeted us in the mornings and at night to see how our day was. The staff on the Rhapsody is known as the friendliest on the seas…I have to say our experience with them was fantastic. Everyone was very friendly, respectful and helpful.

After the muster drill the Rhapsody had a sail away party on deck as we pulled away from the pier around 5:30 pm.

Dining observations:

Breakfast: We ate in the main dining room for breakfast in the mornings…the service at times was inconsistent and the food was sometimes not served very hot.

Lunch: We didn’t care too much for the Windjammer for lunch so on sea days we ate lunch in the dining room. Excellent food and choices-Ribs, burgers, made to order pastas-with shrimp if you wanted. On port days we ate at the Windjammer-usually we ate salad & sandwiches. We had pizza, hot dogs & burgers at the solarium-decent but have had better on other cruise lines. My kids ordered room service on several nights and loved the service and the food they received. I think if there was one area they could improve the ship is to add more dining options during the next dry dock.

Diner: The Edelweiss dining room was beautiful. We had a nice table for eight on the 4th floor. We were traveling with my wife’s aunt, my brother and his girlfriend. Our wait staff was excellent. The waiter was from India and our assistant waiter was from Lithuania, All our requests were delivered with smiles. The food was good to excellent every night. Some of the highlights: Prime Rib, Lobster, Chicken Marsala, Sirloin & NY Strip Steaks, Shrimp Cocktail, the soups, Cherries jubilee, Baked Alaska, flourless Chocolate cake, and the Pineapple Sherbet. No problem ordering several entrees, apps or deserts. We were served extra Lobster tails until we said uncle. One thing that stood out on Royal Caribbean is that the Head waiter visited with us a few times during each dinner to make sure we were pleased with everything. He even cut my daughter’s steak for her.. I almost never met them on the other cruise lines except on the last night to make an impression so you might tip them. We never felt rushed –we had the late setting (8:30pm). Our sons only ate with us on the first night. We would take them to the Windjammer or the Solarium for dinner earlier so they could enjoy the Adventure Ocean activities. One thing to note-the Rhapsody of the seas had open dining on Key West night. 6:30-9:30.

Part 2 to follow soon...

Atgatari, thanks for taking time to post a review. We're sailing on Rhapsody of the Seas next week and can't wait to go! I found your review very helpful and look forward to reading part 2. :)

Your report has made me so homesick for the Rhapsody. We sailed 4/2/06-4/9/06 and loved every minute of it. In fact, our rooms were very near yours - 3569 and 3571. Did you have Nicholas as your steward? He was so very good to us. I couldn't agree more about the friendliness of the staff. How did you like the trio band that played in the Centrum? The drummer, Vlado has an incredible voice. Can't wait to read more of your report, as I didn't post one. Don't know about you but I'm looking forward to sailing the Rhapsody again.

Ninner,

Yes our steward was Nicholas also...he was great!! Unfortunately we did not spend too much time in the Centrum and only heard the trio band in passing. Just another reason to go back--I miss the ship already.

Thanks...thinking of booking 10/22 cruise, problem is that from Southern CA, we have to leave day early when we book air with cruise. I am wondering if anyone else has flown from LAX or ONT and if they booked it with the cruise or did it alone.....any information is helpful.

We would have a group of 8.

Don't mean to add fuel to the fire ... just because you post in the roll call forum doesn't mean you've signed up for the M&M.

atgatari - thanks for the review ... I found it thorough and very informative. We're going to be on the Rhapsody in September on the same route.

Thanks...thinking of booking 10/22 cruise, problem is that from Southern CA, we have to leave day early when we book air with cruise. I am wondering if anyone else has flown from LAX or ONT and if they booked it with the cruise or did it alone.....any information is helpful.

Hi Cashvacation

I flew in from DC ... same day, will NEVER do that again.

As this was our first cruise I booked it all through RCI, was the best bet and the Insurance came in handy. However, booking the airfare myself would have been cheaper and I would have been in Galveston a day early.

Live and learn.

Atgatari - who was your captain? I've been on Grandeur and Vision and both times the CD said their ship was voted friendliest ship in the fleet! I think I see a trend developing here...all the CD's are programmed robots!!!!!!!!!!!

Captain Anders

DavidBZ....I wondered...we are doing the 3rd.

We will try to leave ship quickly to let you get on sooner!

Have a fun trip!

Thanks! Hope your trip goes well, too. We're first time cruisers going for our honeymoon. Looking forward to it!

• 2 months later...

My sister and I left from Southern California (LAX) and booked the flight and cruise through Royal Caribbean. They had us coming in the day ahead of time (Saturday) which made it VERY nice. Got to spend time with family and get a bit of site seeing in.

Do it! Its better then being sorry like Laura's trip. At least she made it there safe but stressed.

Archived