News Stories about Red Hook

berry22192

Today's [23 April 2006] Washington Post has a story about how Red Hook [Cunard's new berth in NYC] is changing and how life is coming to the Brooklyn neighorhood.

The story can be read here (registration required):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/21/AR2006042100586.html?sub=AR

Additional details are provided by the author on where to stay, eat and "hang out" in Red Hook:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/21/AR2006042100587.html [Karie, there is information about Steve's Authentic Key Lime Pies]

The author, Gary Lee, will be online to discuss these stories on Monday 24 April 2006 at 2 p.m. Eastern [7 p.m. BST] during the Washington Post's Travel section's regular weekly chat on www.washingtonpost.com

As more stories about Red Hook are forthcoming and are found, perhaps the links to them could be added by CC's to this thread.

Chris

.....about local businesses not getting a look in:

http://www.nydailynews.com/boroughs/story/411141p-347806c.html

....the comment on the busses will be particularly galling for the pax who had to wait hours last week......

Peter

I was surprised to see Steve Tarpin quoted. He is the fellow I mentioned last week with Steve's Authentic Key Lime Pies. I emailed him last week to tell him I would definitely be by for a pie, either on our way out or coming back from the labor day cruise.

I stumbled onto Steve's sites a number of years ago when I was perusing sites about the Keys and Key lime pies and postcards from Florida (He also had, back then a postcard page with antique postcards on it-including some from a place I grew up around The old wooden Ormond Hotel in Ormond Beach Florida. I used to ride my bike by there. Turns out he actually stayed there, it was an 1800's era grand resort hotel with wrap-around porches around the entire hotel, with white rocking shairs out on the porches, right on the river- the intracoastal waterway, part of which you sail down when you leave Fort Lauderdale, before they tore it down a number of years ago- Ah progress! ) Steve and I have kept up an occasional emailing correspondence since then, although we have never actually met! I still remember emails after New Years 2000-2001. I make my Key Lime pies from scratch using pretty much the same recipe he does, with freshly squozed (never squeezed!<G>) Key Limes, which are not very easy to find up here in CT. My Uncle used to have a huge tree next door in Punta Gorda, FL- It takes a lot of Key limes to make one pie. They are the size of a golf ball, yellow, and very juicy- Tangier than the green Persian limes people are used to.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you should try one of these pies if you get the chance. Not having had one yet myself, but knowing his philosophy for making them right, (And I must tell you, I am a Key Lime Pie aficianado and very persnickety about it) I have a feeling they are grand!

Truly though, it is sad that there are people right there who have not had the opportunity to bid on contracts. One of the CCers here knows someone who runs a car service out of Brooklyn. It seems it is a typical case of politicians probably steering things (even if only information about the existance of a bid or RFP) to already connected people, or those who contribute to their campaigns. I hate to see the well-connected come into a poor downtrodden neighborhood, and make things happen, but in the meantime leave those who always believed in the place and stuck it out behind, so that they can't even afford the property taxes on the properties they have maintained all along, and the businesses they have nuirtured before the neighborhood was chic.

It looks like Brooklyn maybe coming up, I just hope her fortunes rise with the cruise terminal.

Karie,

who WILL get one of those pies. maybe sooner! You can ship them via overnight!

Archived