Shoe Problem--Advice Needed

Moogy

:rolleyes: I need help picking shoes to go with the two long formal dresses that I bought for my upcoming cruise on the Holland American Oosterdam, where it seems most people take formal night seriously.

I do love an opportunity to really dress up, but I seldom do so. Over the last few years, I developed pretty serious foot problems, so I can NEVER wear heels. Most days I wear athletic shoes with custom orthodics.

When I have dressed up recently, I wore flats that are pretty plain. No, I didn't wear my Nikes to the three funerals and a wedding last year. (Sounds like the title to a movie I saw once?)

Should I look for closed toe flats? Strappy sandals? I don't know what to wear with a dress like this, since I assume MOST people would wear nice heels...

I don't have a picture of the dresses. But they are all the way to the floor, definitely in your "very formal" category (no, I WON'T try to hide my Nikes under there!), so maybe no one will see my shoes as long as they are discreet?

Moogy

It's hard to say without seeing the dresses. I think given the options you listed, I'd go for the strappy sandals over the closed-toe flats, but that's just me and i do have a sandal fetish. :D

I think you'd be sruprised at how many very low-heeled (some almost flat) dressy shoes are available.

Here's a few examples:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/11990223/c/3.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/9580290/c/34428.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/9926363/c/3.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/10396825/c/5657.html

I think the shoe makers finally realized that many woman have foot issues and they're trying to accommodate that while still designing fashionable shoes. Happy shopping!

Moogy, what color(s) are your dresses? Hopefully they are similar enough that you can buy 1 pair of shoes that will work for both (less $$ and it saves packing space!).

I can understand your troubles, you want to look nice, but not "matronly" in those old fashioned flats. Can you describe the style of your dresses more--sleeve length especially? A sleeveless, strapless, or halter top dress would need a different style of shoe (more flirty!) than a dress with cap sleeves, short sleeves, or a jacket top.

Moogy, do you think you could wear something flat like these, or would you need more support?

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/11574356/c/43216.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/3943929/c/33463.html

I know they are expensive (I don't know what your price range is, but they would be out of mine), but at least it gives you something to think about.

Moogy,

Try shoes by Taryn Rose. She's an orthopedic surgeon who started a shoe company (especially for people with foot problems) a few years ago and it's taken off like wildfire!

I don't have foot problems and they're too conservative for me, but I keep seeing them in the stores and have to say that they get prettier and more fashionable each season. I know some women with foot problems who just love them!

They're sold in Sak's, Neiman's (look online) and maybe Zappos has them - I don't know.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the ideas! :D

One dress is peacock blue and the other is a light green. I think I can go with the same shoes for both if I am careful about the color.

Moogy

Thanks for all the ideas! :D

One dress is peacock blue and the other is a light green. I think I can go with the same shoes for both if I am careful about the color.

Moogy

Absolutely! I think that a metallic like silver or pewter would work well with those dresses as well as go with alot of things in your wardrobe.

Moogy,

Try shoes by Taryn Rose. She's an orthopedic surgeon who started a shoe company (especially for people with foot problems) a few years ago and it's taken off like wildfire!

I don't have foot problems and they're too conservative for me, but I keep seeing them in the stores and have to say that they get prettier and more fashionable each season. I know some women with foot problems who just love them!

They're sold in Sak's, Neiman's (look online) and maybe Zappos has them - I don't know.

Good luck.

Wow Jane, I didn't know that about her, I see her shoes on line and I think they are nice. I have to try on a pair sometime just to see how they fit.

Wow Jane, I didn't know that about her, I see her shoes on line and I think they are nice. I have to try on a pair sometime just to see how they fit.

Didn't we look at them in Sak's?

I thought we did....well, maybe not then.

My hairstylist is now a Taryn Rose "addict".

Didn't we look at them in Sak's?

I thought we did....well, maybe not then.

My hairstylist is now a Taryn Rose "addict".

No I don't think so, but that's ok, we may have and I just don't remember. There were a lot of shoes, lol. No biggie, sometime when I see her shoes around I'll try on a pair just for the fun of it.

Thanks for the great info

I love Taryn Rose shoes--so comfy! Last year, Sierra Trading Post had a bunch of pairs on sale (50% or so discount) Not sure if they have any now, though. Many of the styles are a little too matronly for me, though, especially the "dressier" styles, unfortunately.

:rolleyes: I need help picking shoes to go with the two long formal dresses that I bought for my upcoming cruise on the Holland American Oosterdam, where it seems most people take formal night seriously.

I do love an opportunity to really dress up, but I seldom do so. Over the last few years, I developed pretty serious foot problems, so I can NEVER wear heels. Most days I wear athletic shoes with custom orthodics.

When I have dressed up recently, I wore flats that are pretty plain. No, I didn't wear my Nikes to the three funerals and a wedding last year. (Sounds like the title to a movie I saw once?)

Should I look for closed toe flats? Strappy sandals? I don't know what to wear with a dress like this, since I assume MOST people would wear nice heels...

I don't have a picture of the dresses. But they are all the way to the floor, definitely in your "very formal" category (no, I WON'T try to hide my Nikes under there!), so maybe no one will see my shoes as long as they are discreet?

Moogy

;) There is a site on the internet called Footsmart.com that is mainly for people with feet problems why don't you give that a try to see if anything decent is on there.

Archived