Where in Barcelona?

There are many Hotels to choose from in Barcelona when taking a cruise. You will find most people choose to stay in the Las Ramblas area which is the older distric but there is a more vibrant night life and the area can be noisy with traffic and street merchants. The Hotel that sticks out in my mind for being Romanic would be Hotel Majestic. I have not stayed there but it has a really good reputation. Futher down what is called the Diagonal is the new technology are where there is a big shoping center and easy access to the beach. The Hilton is in this area another hotel I have not stayed at but I am booked in the Hotel Princess next month. My reasons for booking this hotel is because I have been to Las Ramblas and now its time to stay where I can escape the street noise with easy access to the beach. If the wife wants to go next door to the shopping center it is right there. I also checked out Trip Advisor and it is ranked 11th of some 404 hotels. I have heard that if you have a city view the view at night is fantastic. If you don't have a city view then you can gaze at the Mediterrean.

For more information I have stayed at Hotel Contental P which is in Las Ramblas and is a three star on a second floor. Good Hotel for wanting to be right down in Las Ramblas. Three blocks from the Plaza. Rooms are small but very clean. We have also stayed at Hotel Del Mar Hesperonsa. A nice clean Hotel two blocks from the beach. It is rated a three star in a quiet neighborhood.

Here is some more information that might help. Transportation from the Airport to the Plaza runs 23 to 27 Euros. You can use the Aero Porto Bus that has luggage racks which runs between the Air Port and the Plaza, cost 3.40 Euros. From the Airport to the Forum (New Technology Center) the cost of a cab is estimated at 25 to 30 euros.

Something else to think about. I love taking the wife down to the beach cafes where you can sit and watch the people with pitcher of Sangria. A picture will set you back about 10 Euros. Very Romantic. The bottled wine is very inexpensive and what a place to share such a wonderful experience with someone you love. Enjoy your trip. Tim and Cathy

Wow, thank you very much! I've been looking at the Majestic, and it's beautiful. After 6 years we're getting to take our honeymoon, and I just can't wait. The little table with Sangria sounds like heaven! Thank you again.

Craig

Gosh, I leave for a few minutes and someone else jumps in. I'll wager that in a day or two you will be overwhelmed with suggestions. Almost everyone who has cruised the Mediterranean has been to Barcelona, and most have stayed at least one night.

It appears that vivian02 has been there several times. We have been there only twice and spent two or three nights on one trip. The site I relocated is www.hotelsearch.com. After you obtain your hotel listing, click on "map" for any hotel and an area map will come up showing that hotel and all others listed which are in that particular area. It apparently does not show all hotels. I recall an extremely nice hotel, not shown, right across from the Old Cathedral. My view is that you will want to be close to The Ramblas. If we were returning to Barcelona, we would probably once again stay on The Ramblas,(on the map as Rbla) or close to it. I think somewhere between there and the Old Cathedral has some advantages. However,we stayed at a three star, the Ramblas Hotel on the south end of that street. I don't think it fits your requirements, but it was OK, with a very good breakfast.

You will see Place de Catalonia on the map. This is where the "hop on, hop off" buses start. We took one and hopped off to go to the Gaudi Park, a very interesting place to see. There is also a tourist office at Catalonia Plaza.

You are going to have a great time.

Bob :D

We are staying at the GRAN HOTEL HAVANA in Barcelona for 3 days post-cruise. Our travel agent picked it. I just went to the website recommended by Bobblsc to look it up. There are "58 completed surveys, and 86% recommend the hotel." It ranked highly in all categories. There are 20+ comments that you can review. They have 145 rooms, including a "ROMANTIC PACKAGE from 210 Euro". All comments liked the location as "being near to all Barcelona attractions, tourist/shopping/food. The underground is very close by. Very popular with Americans. 5 minute walk(4 blocks) to main square, and 10 minutes to Old Town. Short walk or taxi ride to La Rambla in one direction, and Sagrada Familia in the other." Hotel was completely redecorated in 2002. It is in the Eixample District, near the buildings of Gaudi, the mythical Ramblas, and the Gothic Quarter, according to their website.

CAKER, I had a problem finding your hotel, but I finally did so. It is the Silken Gran Hotel Havana. Grooveo, take note.

It looks good. The location may be a bit far from the Ramblas, but it should be walkable. It appears to be about 800 meters from the south side of Catalonia Plaza and the north end of The Ramblas. Yes , the specials may be a good deal.

I would still stay a bit closer to Ramblas, but one may have to be careful about some places there not being so great with too small rooms, etc.

Incidentally, the hotel site has the same type information for Madrid. You'all have fun. Spain has some really nice wines at good prices. I bought three bottles at Cadiz on our last cruise for €5 to €8 a bottle. It took time, but I managed to find a Spaniard customer in the wine department with whom I could communicate. He steered me to some really nice wines. Take some on the ship, and pay the corkage fee at the dinner table. You can find all sorts of info about this on various CC threads. Like Italy, you will be hard pressed to find a good local beer, but I believe I bought some Czech Budweiser there.

This is so much fun, giving advise to others whether they want it or not.

Bob :D

Wow, thank you very much! I've been looking at the Majestic, and it's beautiful. After 6 years we're getting to take our honeymoon, and I just can't wait. The little table with Sangria sounds like heaven! Thank you again.

We stayed at the Hotel Majestic last summer for two nights pre cruise. My wife used to stay there when she visited her company's Barcelona office (office has since moved) and always raved about the hotel. It was a wonderful hotel in a great location. We walked from the hotel to the port area and back one day. In the surrounding area, there is lots of shopping from high end designer to local mom and pop stores. The Hotel Majestic is now a 5 Star Diamond property.

Bobblsc,

Sorry for butting in as fast as I did. You got me beat I have only been to Barcelona once, we leave once again in two weeks. I think the Hotel you are talking about is Hotel Colon across the street from the Cathedral in Las Ramblas. I have heard good things about this hotel also. Hotel Le Meridien has good reviews also. Now that I think about it both Le Meridien and Majestic have shown up in Priceline for Hotels where people have won bids in Barcelona East. I'm not suprised that Majestic is know rated a 5 star. Happy cruising. Tim and Cathy

Bobblsc,

Sorry for butting in as fast as I did. . I think the Hotel you are talking about is Hotel Colon across the street from the Cathedral\\Tim and Cathy[/quote

That's OK.

I hate to take up space in these sites, so I reduced your quote. Once I saw the hotel name, I knew that was it. I only walked in once, looked around, and picked up a brochure. It appeared to be extremely nice. However,if we go back to Barcelona I think we would again stay on or near the Ramblas, perhaps closer to Catolonia Plaza this time.

Have a great time. Don't forget the hop on, hop off bus. Incidentally, you have a really good travel agent in Albuquerque. I recently found that one is not supposed to name an agent, but it begins with P. I have dealt with J and have had extremely good service. They are on the web, but you can also talk on the phone and e-mail. I have a very good ship board credit for our next Royal Caribbean cruise. If you don't know, and want to find out who it is, come back and I'll give you my e-mail.

Bob :cool:

Archived