Galveston-Trains, Planes and Automobiles- Oh My

sddiver

Given the upcoming Galaxy departures and many seperate postings of little bits of information I thought it would be helpful to have a thread where all the future Galaxians can post what they have found in their research for.

Airport transportation- limo's/shuttles/rental cars ect.

Hotels in Galveston

Hotels near Hobby or IAH

Parking in Galveston for those of you lucky enough to drive.

Places to eat and DRINK in Galveston or by the airports.

Things to do locally pre or post cruise.

And my favorite---- Great Places to pick up Wine and Champagne between
Hobby and Galveston.( We are doing New Years Cruise)

Thanks

Rich & Pam

Pending the cruises actually starting I've found [url]www.galvestoncruises.com[/url] to be a lot of help. Follow the links and you'll get quite a bit of information. We're driving down the day before the cruise and will take a few hours to tour a bit. My wife lived in Galveston as a teenager and is excited about seeing her old home again. Her only request was that we stay in the Hotel Galvez Sunday night before the cruise.....she always wanted to stay there when she lived in town. Small price to pay since I talked her into the cruise in the first place.

if you have time, definately visit us in Houston. It is a great city with some top notch museums, entertainment. The Science Museum and Art Museum are fantastic and if you have kids, the children's museum can take a whole day. On the way from Houston to Galveston, you should not miss going to NASA Space Center. There is a center there with lots to see regarding space, free films including IMAX about space travel, astronauts, etc., simulation rides that are lots of fun, a shuttle around the compound and I think out to a rocket (too large to keep inside). Again, it can easily be a whole day there and is really really good. If you come in mid Feb. to mid March, check to see if the Rodeo is in town. That is also a not to miss event with lots of exhibitions, a carnival and all sorts of animal attractions (pig racing, bull riding, livestock on display). The restaurants here are among the best in the country, you cannot go wrong with Mexican and BBQ but we have it all.

In Galveston, Moody Gardens would be my recommendation. It is a complex with an ice rink, a rainforest, an IMAX with several movies, a Ferry ride, simulation rides and I can't even remember what else. Of course the beaches are available and free, you can park right along the seawall for free also. In Galveston, the one restaurant everyone always tells us to try is Gaidos, it is well known.

Here is a link that I think you will find very very useful if coming this way. It is a city search for Houston and/or Galveston with ratings for everything.

[url]http://houston.citysearch.com/review/11494575/editorial[/url]

Hope that helped a bit!

Archived