Heli Tour & RR Excursion-help Budget Queen

SNOWEY

I'm going with X and they had a Heli Tour w/White Pass RR (1 way). We really wanted this trip. Could not get into the X website & when I finally did, days later, it is not offered. Sold out?

Found on the internet that Tempsco offers this tour/excursion. Emailed them and no answer. Now what?

We will be in Juneau and Skagway on May 21/22nd.

Claudia

Hey thanks for the link & information. Just got an email from the link that says they are out of town w/wierd dates. I guess I'll have to call them. BTW, this tour is slightly different as it does not say it lands on the glacier & you can walk about. Perhaps for an extra fee then can do this. Thanks for the lead.

Murry, Tempsco gave me Corry's email address with Packer, somehow affiliated w/Tempsco. As you know, if the ship offers this excursion, you cannot book it independantly. BTW, I followed your driving guide in 2003 and we loved the drive! We have not done the train yet. The year we went there was smoke in the distance and the scenery was still awesome...it can only be better.

I finally decided to call Celebrity's Captain's Club. They directed me to the shore excursions desk and they told me that they are not offering this tour on the Mercury sailing for May 22nd. So, now I am back to trying to get in touch w/Packard.

Thanks for all the help & I'll let you know what happens.

Claudia

Claudia - Packer does the hiking portion of the trip, Temsco the air part, but I hadn't noticed your date of arrival. The tour isn't offered because the pass is still buried in snow, so almost impossible hiking conditions except for the truly hardcore. It probably won't be offered until late June. You can see the nasty conditions I ran into yesterday at http://explorenorth.wordpress.com/

Murray

rayna.JPG

Here's my latest additon!--Her name is Rayna. (sorry this is so big)

Neat!

We are in Skagway May 22nd. I really just want to do a heli landing and walk on the glacier for 15-20 minutes and then be transported to the White Pass so we can ride it back into Skagway. That was the ship's description.

Claudia

Thanks, Murray. We got her out of the dog pound!!:eek: She is so sweet. We had 2 sibes before her. More aloof. Rayna is so puppyish. If someone pets her, she is on her back w/her legs splayed open. She also loves to dig huges holes, burry her big bones when she gets them, and tear down my crape myrtle trees' branches. She loves to yank on stuff...but not the right stuff:eek: . Sat. I bought her a rubber tire on a rope to yank on.

Tell me, what is she? A Malamute w/some husky? Wish I could take her to Alaska w/me.

To keep on topic, I am still waiting to get a trip to the Juneau ice fields and then the White Pass train. Now that the boat does not offer it, Temsco should be able to help. I emailed them this afternoon...nothing. I will call in the AM (Alaska time).

Good evening.

Claudia

Rayna is a wooly Siberian. Wooliness is a recessive gene that pops up occasionally - breeders try to weed it out by neutering the pups that display it. She may have something else mixed in, but I'm inclined to think she's purebreed - woolies are the most-abandoned of all Sibes due to the high maintenance demands of their coat, and Sibes are among the most-abandoned of dogs due to their independent nature. She's a lucky girl to have found you :) I lost my wooly boy almost 3 years ago - http://www.everythinghusky.com/dogs/kodi-monty.html

Murray

Rayna is a wooly Siberian. Wooliness is a recessive gene that pops up occasionally - breeders try to weed it out by neutering the pups that display it. She may have something else mixed in, but I'm inclined to think she's purebreed - woolies are the most-abandoned of all Sibes due to the high maintenance demands of their coat, and Sibes are among the most-abandoned of dogs due to their independent nature. She's a lucky girl to have found you :) I lost my wooly boy almost 3 years ago - http://www.everythinghusky.com/dogs/kodi-monty.html

Murray

Murray: Thanks for all the great information. We ended up booking the heli ride w/short landing on the glacier. In Skagway we are going to do the rr & and down. Not what I wanted to do. I would have rather done something different on the way up or down. It is just the offerings don't appeal to us.

So sorry to hear about Kodi. I know what you mean about their temperment. We had two sibes that have also passed on to the Rainbow Bridge. One lived to be close to 15 years in age and the other was 16 or close to it! They were always outside (Texas) dogs! We were always having to go figure out where they ran away to. Most of the time they were on the golf course or swimming in the pond. Sometimes on someone's patio.

I thought about shaving Rayna before it gets too hot, but both groomers said they do not recommend it. One said that the fur can come in wierd. I see in your web page that there was a pic of one wooley after he/she was shaved. Any thoughts on this?

Getting back to the topic in this thread, any ideas besides a salmon bake, horse back riding or bus trip for the trip up or down the White Pass railway? Let's say we just go up the White Pass. Is there someone who can take us somwhere via car or ? to look for wildlife?

Thanks again for your help....loved reading the new blog.

Claudia

Archived