Boston Questions.....hotels/restaurants/transportation etc

isujim

Just booked a Canada/New England cruise out of Boston for the fall of 2007. We have never been to Boston.

We have decided to go in 2 days early and see the sights.........

Any hotel recomendations without spending $300+ per night or are we in for a shock? Restuarants? Transportation to the pier??.......any hotels provide that?

Any information at all would be appreciated........looking forward to Boston as much as the cruise.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Boston is a great city, there are a lot of us New Englanders lurking on these boards so I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice!! Hotels aren't cheap, but I can suggest a few to investigate: The Sheraton Boston and Westin Copley Place are right downtown, great locations; Hotel Commonwealth is near Fenway Park and Boston University, also a good downtown location; The Marriott Long Wharf and the Boston Harbor Hotel are right on the harbor and close by the Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market/North End area of town (but not within walking distance of your pier.) For sightseeing, most tourists seem to really enjoy the Duck Tours (we see them quacking all over the city). You may want to walk at least part of the Freedom Trail, and the shopping is great both downtown and at Quincy Market. Not sure which month you're traveling, but a tour of Fenway Park and/or a Red Sox game are both worth doing (the Red Sox sell out every game in advance but tickets can be found, just ask if you want more info on this) Restaurants in the North End serve some of the best and most authentic Italian food in the country, and a stop at one of the Italian pastry shops is a treat (the North End also has Paul Revere's house and the Old North Church, so you can eat and soak up history at the same time!!) Fresh seafood and especially lobster are available most everywhere, and are generally excellent -- and Boston also has some fabulous steak houses such as Grille 23 and Smith&Wollensky. Finally, if you're interested in renting a car for a day and seeing the countryside, Plymouth is a pleasant 1 hr ride south of Boston -- a nice seaside town and also the home of the Pilgrims, with a relica of the Mayflower and Plimoth Plantation, where you can meet the Pilgrims and see an authentic recreation. Have a great time planning, I always think that's at least half the fun!!

cynbar

Thank you so much........just the type of information I'm looking for.......I'll check out each hotel you suggested.........thanks for an overview.

Anyone else?

Jim

cynbar

Thank you so much........just the type of information I'm looking for.......I'll check out each hotel you suggested.........thanks for an overview.

Anyone else?

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed in a great boutique hotel in Boston - Harborside Inn on State Street. It was an original mill, I believe. One wall in the room was all brick--very unique. There are street rooms or atrium views. Our window looked down into the atrium. We thought it would be quieter than a street-view window. Hotel was very clean and the staff was great. Location is very close (2 blocks or so) to Quincy Market and a metro stop. Metro is great and we were able to get all over the city. We could walk to the North End, where we had a great Italian dinner, and delicious pastries. We were there in the fall and got great rates. At that time, the hotel's website had a message indicating they would match any lower rate found on the Internet. Expedia had a lower rate. Called the hotel and they matched it. It was quite a deal for Boston.

Great Information everyone...........friend of ours stayed at the Harborside Inn and has some pictures so we are considering that.

Has anyone used Priceline for Boston? If so, what was the going rate in Boston on Priceline?

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Archived