Enchantment Food Poisoning

You could have also just had a stomach flu (Noro) and not even food poisoning. Symptoms are pretty much the same (but FP can be more violent). Both come on suddenly so you could have been exposed to an illness 24-48 hrs prior to boarding the ship. It is very hard to prove the difference unless everyone ate it and got sick. Food Poisoning can come on suddenly too ...it just depends on the different strains. There are also some FP that just cause diarrhea.

Good Luck and hope you're feeling better!

You would actually address your letter to Adam Goldstein (president) not Richard Fain (CEO) as the president is responsible for the customer satisfactuion and actual operations of the ships. Send it registered and certified to the main office at 1050 Royal Caribbean Way, Miami.

Years ago, I got salmonella poisoning on one of the Carnival cruises. It struck roughly 8 to 10 hours after eating. There were several other people in the infirmary with the same problem. The doctor asked me if I had eaten at the buffet by the pool, which I had. I was horribly sick for the entire cruise.

Not to be disgusting, but if you have food poisoning from only a few hours, the stool will be bright green as the food will not have time to digest completely.

If you have insurance then your $1000 trip to doc will be reimbursed. Hope you had it, that's why $80-100 upfront can be so valuable in the long run! FP is no fun, that's for sure.

I fractured my foot on a RCI ship going down the steps by the gift shops. Went to the ships hospital where I had to fill and SIGN a form. If I had read the small print on the form it says RCI is not responsible and so on. I was in pain and did not take the time to read it. So they took care of me, put a temporary cast on my foot and made arrangements for me to go to a hospital in the next port. It happened to be in Canada. I had a long wait, but finally got taken care of, more xrays, doctor and a new temporary cast. Found out there were 2 fractures in the foot. The bill for Canada was $128.00 for all that. I thought RCI would pay since they made the arrangements for the hospital visit. No Also while on the ship we wanted to sign up for another cruise to get the room credit. The person in charge said the cruise we wanted was sold out, but to check with him again later. After the foot ordeal we did go and try to arrange for the cruise, only to find no one there at the time they should have been there. When we got home we called RCI guest relations about the medical expense. Were treated rudely. So I wrote a letter addressed to guest relations. Heard nothing. Meanwhile I looked on line for the cruise we wanted and it was available so we made the reservation. I wrote another letter this time to the president just asking for the room credit. They finally did give us the room credit. Paid none of the medical expenses. Our insurance did pay for the ships medical cost and Canada. RCI did let me have the use of a wheel chair.

Jan

Glad you got your break taken care of right away. Was there something on the stairs that made you fall?

No, just clumsy me I guess althought the steps are a different size that I am used to. At least it happened almost at the end of the cruise. Bt the way I don't drink. LOL

Jan

I think it's highly reasonable that you got food poisoning in such a short amount of time. I did at a South Florida resort (within 2 hours of eating at the hotel bar while the bartender was also eating dinner... I don't think she washed her hands between her eating and handling my food/utensils).

See the info below from the Virginia Dept. of Ag. and Consumer Safety:

STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS

Disease: Staph

Source: Carried by people on skin, in boils, pimples, and throat infections; spread when carriers handle food. Staph bacteria produce toxins (poisons) at warm temperatures. Meat, poultry, salads, cheese, eggs, custards, and cream-filled desserts are susceptible foods.

Symptoms (after eating): Onset: 1-8 hours; vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, and abdominal cramps lasting 1-2 days. Rarely fatal.

Prevention: Cooking won't destroy staph poison, so practice good personal hygiene and sanitary food handling. Don't leave perishable food unrefrigerated over 2 hours. For quick cooling, place hot food in small containers no more than 4 inches deep; cover when cool and refrigerate.

Sounds perfectly plausible to me that your waldorf salad might have been contaminated from the workers or other pax, then the staph bacteria grew in the warm environment, and YOUR system couldn't fight it off (some people's can...).

Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, you won't be able to prove anything, since there isn't a public health dept. overseeing the ship and with the capability to do unannounced checks of the facility. Too bad.

No offense intended, but why should Royal Caribbean pay any compensation to a person who admittedly was "clumsy" and had an accident on a nondefective stairway???

I just don't get it.

I was on the mariner with my then 2 year old last April. He was walking through the automatic doors that lead from the sports deck into the Library/Game room when he fell forward (like he had dozens of times before all over this ship)... that's what two year olds do. Unfortunately, this time he hit the leg of a chair and got a smallish gash on his forehead that looked like it required stitches (bleeding profusely!).

We could not have been happier with the medical and security personnel. The security officer interviewed us extensively to insure nothing was amiss on the ship (I know.... for protection again lawsuits) and the ship's doctor took excellent care of my little one.

The last thing on my mind was any type of compensation for an accident. As it turns out, the medical officer requested and got a "comp" for the treatment, so it didn't cost us the $500+ it would have, but we would have gladly paid for such great treatment.

Everyone's mileage varies, of course....

Gusman

No offense intended, but why should Royal Caribbean pay any compensation to a person who admittedly was "clumsy" and had an accident on a nondefective stairway???

I was'nt looking for compensation. Just the room credit for booking a cruise while on the ship. We did try to book a cruise while on the ship, but the person in charge said the cruise was sold out, but to come back and see if it became available. When we did that he was not there. We did want to do that cruise so when we got home I went on line and saw that it was available. So I wrote RCI and told them the story and we did get our room credit for booking the cruise. By the way I know how clumsy 2 year olds are, my grandson is always tripping on something.;)

Jan

admittedly was "clumsy" and had an accident on a nondefective stairway???

By the way I was kidding about being clumsy. :rolleyes: Bifocals and stairs are not the best of friends so I am super careful. It was just an accident. I was mainly trying to stress that the OP will more than likely t get any compenation from RCI. I love cruising and RCI and could not be happier with them.

Jan

.....We did try to book a cruise while on the ship, but the person in charge said the cruise was sold out, but to come back and see if it became available. When we did that he was not there. We did want to do that cruise so when we got home I went on line and saw that it was available.....

Jan

Next time just book any cruise to get a booking number. When you get home (or while you're onboard) you can switch to the cruise you want if it's available. So long as you keep the same booking number you keep the onboard cabin credit for booking while onboard. Our Hawiian cruise started out as a transatlantic cruise. When we booked last Oct. '05, the '07 iteneraries were only a thought for RCI.

Yarlenna,

That statement about "hundreds" is not accurate. It can come from one contaminated tray of food and just the few people that ate from that tray will be affected. I know I was there. In our case, on the Vision, it was 17 people that all ate in the Windjammer within minutes of each other and all had tuna salad. By getting the word out about the problem within the first 24 hours, those of us affected were able to identify the source and RCI did not dispute it.

This is not the first case of food poisoning on the Vision and it hasn't been the last. I think it is time RCI took a good long look at that ship.

Archived