Smugglers Cove or Cane Garden Bay

KevinsCruising

Hi, I am cruising on the Legend the 21st. In 2003 I also sailed on the Legend stopping at Tortola. We went to a beach that was beautiful. It took about 20 minutes to get there but I LOVED the ride through the island. I cannot remember the name of the beach for anything. It may have been Smugglers Bay or Cane Garden Bay. It was peaceful with islands in the distant. I heard that Pirates hid there back in the day. There was some small stands selling goods but not alot. Does anyone know where I was? Also if it was Smugglers or Cane Garden Bay, which do you like better?

Thanks so much,

Kevin :o

Sounds more like CGB than Smuggler's. If you went up and over the mountains right out of town it was CGB. Smuggler's is also more then 20 minutes from Road Town.

I prefer Smuggler's but a recent report I got said the government had bulldozed a big parking area there and now there were more vendors setting up as well as taxi's. So much for a beautiful and peaceful beach.:eek: :(

Thanks, I Was Leaning More Towards Cgb Also. I Remember Walking Along The Beach And There Was A Stone Wall I Think On My Left....opposite Side Of The Water. Does Anyone Have Any Pictures From Being At Cgb? If I See Any Pictures Looking Out To The Water, I Will Definately Know.

Thanks Again,

Kevin

Great pictures Pyrate. You really are into the Pirate seen huh? I go to all the Ren Fairs in my area, NY, NJ & Penn. This year in NJ they are not doing the traditional Ren Fair but instead having something ALL PIRATES. You can check it out at www.njkingdom.com They were working on the website so I am not sure if they finished it.

Thanks for the pix of Tortola. Just wondering if you know where to get the best Jerk Chicken on the Island ??

Thanks,

Kevin

The fair looks like it will be great fun.

For the Jerk Chicken, if you are at CGB, head west over the mountain toward Carrot Bay and shortly after you head down the switchbacks you'll see a place called Heritage Villas and the Bananakeet Restaurant, try there and you will also get the benefit of a great view.

• 3 months later...

We still remember the amazing/beautiful ride in the open air "taxi/bus" to Cane Garden Bay. That ride and beautiful scenery was amazing and the highlight of our cruises. We are going back to Tortola and cannot wait to take the ride in the open bus to Cane Garden Bay.

We still remember the amazing/beautiful ride in the open air "taxi/bus" to Cane Garden Bay. That ride and beautiful scenery was amazing and the highlight of our cruises. We are going back to Tortola and cannot wait to take the ride in the open bus to Cane Garden Bay.
Can you catch this open bus at the port or do you have to book this through the cruise ship? :confused:

Also is the snorkeling good at Cane Garden Bay? :)

Yes, you can catch the open taxi "buses" at the cruise dock. Snorkeling at CGB is not very good in the main part of the beach but if you go to the far western end it does get a bit better. It's not known for snorkeling. Watch out for dingies coming and going to the beach from the charter boats in the bay. Most of them either head for the dock near Quito's and/or are very careful, but every once in awhile you can get an idiot that doesn't pay any attention to swimmers.

Yes, you can catch the open taxi "buses" at the cruise dock. Snorkeling at CGB is not very good in the main part of the beach but if you go to the far western end it does get a bit better. It's not known for snorkeling. Watch out for dingies coming and going to the beach from the charter boats in the bay. Most of them either head for the dock near Quito's and/or are very careful, but every once in awhile you can get an idiot that doesn't pay any attention to swimmers.

Thanks Pyrate13!! :D I'm mostly looking for a beautiful beach in a tropical looking place. Are there restrooms, food, and drinks to buy at CGB?

Anything else you can recommend to do in Tortola? I don't want to do the dolphin swim and it seems like that's all there is to do. We arrive at 2pm and the sunsets at about 5:45 so it doesn't leave much daylight.

Cane Garden Bay is certainly a beautiful tropical Beach. There are plenty of places for food and drinks as well as restrooms. Since you only have a few hours the I would either try to get a taxi to negotiate a reasonable price for an island tour or just head to Cane Garden Bay and enjoy the beach and small shops over there. You might want to take a look at the Callwood's Rum Distillery in Cane Garden Bay. It's not very big (small actually) but it has been family owned for something like 200 years. Sample the rum, maybe buy a small bottle, or big one if you like it. Jimmy Buffett Mentions Callwood's in his song Manana.

Cane Garden Bay is certainly a beautiful tropical Beach. There are plenty of places for food and drinks as well as restrooms. Since you only have a few hours the I would either try to get a taxi to negotiate a reasonable price for an island tour or just head to Cane Garden Bay and enjoy the beach and small shops over there. You might want to take a look at the Callwood's Rum Distillery in Cane Garden Bay. It's not very big (small actually) but it has been family owned for something like 200 years. Sample the rum, maybe buy a small bottle, or big one if you like it. Jimmy Buffett Mentions Callwood's in his song Manana.

Thanks again Pyrate!! :D You are really helpful. :cool:

Maybe we'll do an island taxi tour since this is the first time we've been to this port. Any idea what a reasonable price would be for this?

Tortola is absolutely safe. Yes, there is some crime, most of it petty. The majority of violent crime, what there is, is between down islanders living on Tortola. My wife and I have walked all over the island at many times of the day and never felt insecure in the least.

The taxis can be highly variable as far as tours go, check a few. Some members of this board have been able to get them very cheaply. Personally, I think if a cabbie gives you a nice tour for a couple of hours twenty dollars a person would be reasonable and even a little more would be fine.

Eastcoaster,

Most of what shopping there is on Tortola is near the cruise port. There is a lot of booths that are set up when a cruise ship is due in and there is a permanent shopping "village" about 5 minutes walk away. I have to tell you, very little of what the vendors sell is from Tortola. There is one small shop at the village that deals in just local work but sadly there is not much there.

Also in Road Town is the Botanical Gardens, not very large but peaceful and has a good selection of local plant life. There used to be a small BVI history museum on Main St. but I'm not sure if it is still there.

If you like pottery, there is a shop located at Nanny Cay called Bamboshay (not sure on the spelling) that sells works from local craftsmen. That's a short taxi ride from town. If you go there try Peg Legs for lunch.

If you arrange a tour with one of the taxi drivers there is a local artist (Nan) that sell her stuff under a tree at the corner of Zion Hill RD and the north shore Rd. in Apple Bay.

To me the whole experience of Tortola is not the shopping but the beautiful scenery and the people. One thing you must do to get the most from the locals is slow down. It's called "island time." When conducting business in the BVI it is customary to greet each other with a smile and a good morning, afternoon or whatever, perhaps a little small talk and then get down to what you really are there for. Unlike here at home where you walk in and ask for what you want right up front, in the BVI that is considered rude. Most visitors don't realise this and get the wrong impression of the locals when they don't respond in the expected way. If folks took the time to learn a little about the places they visit the experience can be so much better.

On the surface Tortola can look like there is nothing to do, don't let it fool you, unfortunately a short visit on a cruise ship doesn't give you much time to explore.

Hope this helps a little and if you have other questions, please feel free to ask.

Pyrate13

My DH and I love to explore small islands. I was just curious as to what was at the port. As we have been on quite a few cruises, we really don't shop much anymore. We would rather rent a taxi and actually see the island. We have met many wonderful drivers that show you around. Like you say, it is hard to see an island for just a day. Your suggestions really helped plan our day.

We also love the beach for swimming. I checked and 3 ships will be in port that day so hopefully the beaches shouldn't be that crowded.

You are so right when you say we have to slow down. Our lives in the states are so hectic that you carry it with you.

Thanks again for your input!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Pyrate13:

Your postings have been very helpful to me in planning our stop in Tortola. We are planning to take the open taxi/bus from the dock to Cane Garden Bay. Do you know how long the ride is and how much it will cost per person?

Thanks for your help,

Archived