Info Needed Re: Credit Card For Ss Card

BrodyBarb

I'm new to cruising. What is the procedure for money for ss cards?

If I don't want to use my cc how much will I have to put into my ss card account in cash?

I'm with Carnival Destiny.

Also my TA said that all my gratuities have been included in the cost of this cruise. Will I still be automatically billed for tips??

Would appreciate all the info you can give.

We don't like to use a credit card for onboard expenses either, it's a pretty rude awakening the next month. But for ease of boarding, we go ahead and set up our onboard account with a cc. Towards the end of the cruise, we pay our balance in cash or travellers checks. There are usually a couple of charges the last night, for drinks and such. We sometimes leave those on the card so we don't have to wait in the long line at the pursers desk. We have found that by budgeting the cash for expenses, we don't go crazy with the spending.

Most cruise lines ask for $250 in cash at the time you check in if you don't want to use a credit card. Once that amount is close to being used up, you will be notified to come to the purser's desk and put more money into your account. If there's money left at the end of your cruise, you have to go and stand in line the morning of your departure and get a refund. That's a real pain in the behind because you could stand in line for a very long time.

Thank you both for your help. I think I'm going to have to use my credit card then. I hope I don't have to really use it. There's no way I'm going to stand in a queue even though there probably won't be that many people disembarking in Barbados. I'll probably put whatever we may use to one side and put it straight in our bank when I get home. I don't want to have to be still paying for our vacation when we get back.

Thanks again, you've been very helpful.:)

BrodyBarb, you don't use your credit card on board the ship. You use the card to back the charges on your sign and sail card----they take an imprint of your card when you check in before the cruise). If you purchase anything on the ship, such as drinks (both alcohol and soft), if you buy anything in the shops, photos, spa or beauty shop, or shore excursions, you use your ship card and then those charges are put on your charge card at the end of the cruise.

BTW, since you're new to cruising, and from your post you said you're disembarking in Barbados, then you must know you absolutely need a passport. Barbados recently changed their rules for visitors to Barbados, and if you are taking a land vacation there, if you embark or disembark a cruise in Barbados, you need a passport----a birth certificate and photo ID are no longer accepted. The only time you don't need a passport for Barbados is if you're a cruise passenger "in transit" which means you arrive and depart on a cruise ship.

Hi Kitty9,

I know that I don't use my credit card onboard the ship to purchase things, I just didn't want the option of either using a cc or having to put up $250usd against any purchases that I may (not) make and then have to queue up to get it back.

BTW.... I live in Barbados (10yrs). I have a British passport and have been assured I will not need a US visa.

Thanks for your info...

Since your tips are prepaid when you get your documents make sure the vouchers are included. If not call the TA and find out where they are. You can check on your tv and make sure you are not charged the tips. Carnival automatically adds the tips to the sign and sail card. You can access your account on the tv. That way if its on there you can get it taken care of pronto.

I have always used cash on my cruises and never had to wait in line for my money back at the end. We were given a check at the last night which we cashed at the pursers deck in the morning. (waited til everyone was almost gone- no line at all

"Since your tips are prepaid when you get your documents make sure the vouchers are included"

What vouchers???

(I know about checking my account on the TV but I don't know anything about vouchers??)

We haven't got our documents yet, we paid up everything in full. How long before we get our documents, a couple weeks before we cruise is what I heard.

We tried to pay for our insurance as well but were told we had to wait until early Aug.

My sisters used a debit card as well on the Fantasy and I also set up cash accounts for all the kids. The end of the cruise there was a check under the door for each individual for whatever amount was left in thier account! It works very well for my teenagers!

I would not recommend using a debit card only for the fact that you are carrying around a card with access directly to your checking account, most likely into foreign cities if you put it into your traveling purse/wallet like most. It's just much more difficult to dispute checking account charges even when backed by VISA or Mastercard. Make an extra deposit to your credit card and then as you spend it will only chip away at the true cash credit you have on it, then you won't have a hefty bill to pay the following month. The credit card company will refund your "overpayment" immediately upon asking when you return IF you have any money left! Just my banking opinion.....

I would not recommend using a debit card only for the fact that you are carrying around a card with access directly to your checking account, most likely into foreign cities if you put it into your traveling purse/wallet like most. It's just much more difficult to dispute checking account charges even when backed by VISA or Mastercard. Make an extra deposit to your credit card and then as you spend it will only chip away at the true cash credit you have on it, then you won't have a hefty bill to pay the following month. The credit card company will refund your "overpayment" immediately upon asking when you return IF you have any money left! Just my banking opinion.....

Adowning is exactly right.

By using your credit card you are subject to only $50 (max) liability if your credit card number is compromised. If you have an issue with all or part of a charge, the disputed amount is reversed immediately pending its resolution.

A debit card does not always have a limit on your liability and the dispute resolution process can be a nightmare.

One other matter. Don't wait until you get the preliminary bill near the end of your cruise. Instead, request a copy of your bill from the Purser on the 3rd or 4th day of your cruise to be sure that you have no issues with any charges. It's a whole lot easier to resolve any issues with earlier charges when there's no one else around at the Purser's office.

Adowning is exactly right.

By using your credit card you are subject to only $50 (max) liability if your credit card number is compromised. If you have an issue with all or part of a charge, the disputed amount is reversed immediately pending its resolution.

A debit card does not always have a limit on your liability and the dispute resolution process can be a nightmare.

Some debit cards are associated with VISA or Mastercard and can be used in "credit" mode rather than "debit" even though the money is deducted from the bank account. If you need to use a debit card and have this option, it is a good idea to use credit rather than debit. As noted, it's safer in that it limits your liability for unauthorized charges. There is the issue of holds, however, and you will need to ensure you have sufficient funds in the account in advance (or overdraft linked to the account).

Good luck and happy cruising!

- Kevin

Archived