Would you book a cruise wedding in August?

I'm looking for opinions or if past brides have experiences they would like to share, that'd be great.

I'm looking to book a wedding on Freedom of the Seas next year. Originally, we wanted to do the Western itinerary on December 9th but some of our guests (my fiancé’s sister and some of my cousins) would probably be writing university exams at that time and won't be able to come. I'm going to have to change the date but I want to try to avoid hurricane season and keep costs to a minimum for my guests.

My question is would you book the wedding for August 19th? I heard that the Eastern side of the Caribbean is at risk earlier in the season for hurricanes (maybe June-August) but the Western side is a bit later, usually starts mid-September and runs into late November.

I'm thinking of booking with cruisingweddings.com (after reading the reviews from rara0508 and sarah1981....btw thanks!) and although I am going to do an island wedding, I'm sure RR can re-arrange something on the ship if we do end up missing the port.

I'm not sure what to do. I think we may have about 20-30 guests that are flying from my hometown with us and about 10 more from overseas. For some guests, this will be their first cruise.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!

We had our wedding last year on the Caribbean Princess at sea on July 4th. We chose the Western itinerary leaving out of Fort Lauderdale July 2 ~ July 9th. We did expierence some weather from Hurricane Dennis near the end of the cruise, but it didn't make it a bad cruise for any of us. We had about 20 guests and all the people in our group had a fantastic time and for most, like us, it was our first time cruising. I am actually getting ready to sail again this September.

If that is the date you want and the date that will work then I say go for it. The cruise company will do anything they can to make the passengers as safe as possible, if something comes up.

As for booking will someone else and if you miss a port, I would check to make sure Royal romance would re-arrange something. I think they will only do that if you book it through them. I could be wrong though.

Hope this helps!! If you need anything else, just ask. Have a great day and Congrats!!

I think it's perfectly safe to book a wedding cruise during hurricane season. I wouldn't book a cruise to get married in a particular destination. We were on the Victory last Sept when a bride and her wedding party were devastated because the ship was supposed to be going to Eastern Carib where her wedding was to take place in St. Thomas. Unfortunately, we ended up doing a Western route due to a tropical storm in the eastern caribbean. It was sad to see the bride and wedding party all upset and unhappy at embarkation.

Don't count on a destination during hurricane season and you will be fine.

kitty

We are getting married on August 25th this year aboard the Sovereign in Port Canaveral. We have about 25 sailing guests and 15 non-sailing. We purchased the insurance, just in case, but I am hoping it won't be an issue. I agree with the other posters, I would not plan a wedding at a pot of call during the season. That is risky. We live in Orlando and I have cruised many times during hurricane season...I have missed a port of call or two, but never had an unpleasant cruise... and I am hoping we have that same luck for our wedding! Whatever you decide, congratulations and I hope everything goes beautifully! :)

We booked our wedding on the Carnival Conquest out of Galveston for August 6, 2006. We chose summer because it's the best time of year for my future MIL and her family- all teachers- and because my nieces will be out of school. Otherwise we might have gone with October but not because of hurricanes, but because of the heat. I live in Houston and prefer a little cooler weather.

I'm not too overly concerned about a storm. We'll deal with whatever happens, and our wedding is the day we leave port so unless a storm hits Galveston (always a possibility!) then our wedding should still continue that day.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I would suggest going back and reading posts in this forum of previous brides who booked their weddings during hurricane season... and never made it to their wedding destination. (You can use the search feature or look at Aug/Sept postings from previous years). Several have come back very disappointed and angry at Mother Nature. Ex: Showing up to the ship to learn the Eastern itinerary will now be Western due to weather... Of course the planning can go fantastic up until you board the ship, but you never know about weather until it happens.

Me personally... even though I am a teacher and dates were limited (summer, Christmas, or Spring Break) I was too chicken to risk it with hurricane season. We've vacationed on St John during November as well as a couple Thanksgiving cruises (still technically hurricane season) but would not chance it duirng the peak time of Aug/Sept. I would definitely read those posts from 2005 and previously from Aug/Sept brides.

I would not book one of the most important days of my life in the Carib during hurricane season, given the activity we've seen lately. NOAA has said that storm activity will probably remain very active this season, so if you do, please consider trip insurance AND wedding insurance.

Remember, as if the hurricane itself was bad enough, sometimes cleanup can add another week to several months to affected locations, so even if the ship sails, port stops could be cancelled / changed.

Do be careful with this.

HECK NO! This is why my husband & I got married in April. It was a pretty short engagement but when you consider the fact that doing a wedding/cruise combo is pretty much one stop shopping, we had more than enough time. We knew we wanted to get married in 06 but there are extra charges for marrying in Feb, May, & June and then Hurricane Season begins in June & last year we had hurricanes through November. And we definitely didn't want to cruise during the holidays. I think July is a much safer month for you.

my wedding is Aug 6 this year but we are goin from NJ to Bermuda so not as bad during hurricane season as the carribbean if you want it in august i think u should go for it, it would be safer to get married on board though just in case there is an itinerary change due to weather on any of the ports

You could always get married before you start to sail. I know it's not as nice as an island, but at least this way you still are getting married and you can just go with the flow if something does happen. They always tell you to be prepared when sailing during hurricane season, as the itinerary can change. Booking an embarkation day wedding with Royal Romance will at least allow you to get married on the ship and have pictures on the ship.

I think you should do whatever you and your fiance feel is right. It's your wedding after all!!

Archived