Vancouver Info if needed

No, we are taking it for the scenery and the experience. It is not cheaper when you get a sleeper or bedroom. We just think it would be a fun way to extend the vacation. We will take it back to LA and then either fly or drive home to Phoenix.

That is a great idea. With most of the lines pulling out of MX, I have a feeling that we may be doing more cruises to and or from CAN. We have all our arrangements made already, but next trip we'll definitely consider the train.

A few of the cruisers on our cruise are opting to take an overnight cruise back to Seattle and flying home from there. $$$

The train should wait for the bus as it is a scheduled connection - everytime that I have taken that connection I have arrived early - very few buses at the border and if I remember correctly the HOV and Express lanes on I - 5 are opened so getting through Seattle traffic isn`t too bad.

The Coast Starlight and the Empire Builder - that`s Seattle to Chicago are my two favorite trips on the Amtrak system - friendly staff - they are two of the more popular runs in the Amtrak system.

Cheers

Dennis

That is a great idea. With most of the lines pulling out of MX, I have a feeling that we may be doing more cruises to and or from CAN. We have all our arrangements made already, but next trip we'll definitely consider the train.

A few of the cruisers on our cruise are opting to take an overnight cruise back to Seattle and flying home from there. $$$

We have had a lot of discussion about losing our MEX options on the left coast on the AZ Cruiser's Threads. Come over and see us. We talk about cruises and a whole lot more. We even have parties several times a year. Several of the AZ Cruisers are thinking of joining DH & myself on the Pacific Coastal Cruise in 2012. The link to the AZ Cruiser's Forum is in my signature.:cool:

The train should wait for the bus as it is a scheduled connection - everytime that I have taken that connection I have arrived early - very few buses at the border and if I remember correctly the HOV and Express lanes on I - 5 are opened so getting through Seattle traffic isn`t too bad.

The Coast Starlight and the Empire Builder - that`s Seattle to Chicago are my two favorite trips on the Amtrak system - friendly staff - they are two of the more popular runs in the Amtrak system.

Cheers

Dennis

That's what I thought. It sounds painless enough - once I get DH out of bed for that early connection, LOL!

I took an Amtrak trip about 20 years ago with my DD when we went to see my sister. We went Chicago to Denver. It was one overnight and a lot of fun. We went coach one way and that wasn't so good. On the way back we got a sleeper and we had a blast!

We are going on the Disney Wonder to Alaska and will be in Vancouver 4/29-5/3 when the ship sails. We had been to Vancouver in 2008 and wanted to spend more time there because we love this city (stayed at the Wall Center). We booked our flights ,then found out it is Marathon weekend. Needless to say hotels are hard to come by. I have some questions about the ones available. First, why would Blue Horizon and Century Plaza Hotels still have availability when they are in a prime spot? We booked Executive Hotel Vintage Park for a place holder but I am unsure of the area and hotel. Also, looking at Ramada limited on Pender or the Ramada suited on Granville St. and Time Square Suites. Our other option is to try to rent a condo in the Sheraton Wall Complex. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

L J

By the way what does anyone here about the Burrard Inn that is being renovated.

I would probably go with the Exective Inn or the Times Square Suites, both of them are a bit out of the swing of things and you may find the Exective Inn a bit noisy (traffic). I don't care for the location of either of the Ramada's. Their certainly nothing wrong with either the Blue Horizon or the Century Plaza, I would probably go with the Blue Horizon just because of its Robson St. location.

If you are looking for a suite hotel then you may care to look at the Rosedale on Robson St.

If there are just two of you then you may care to try Priceline.com.

While I walk by it just about every day I don`t know what is happening with the Burrard Inn - they are doing work but that is all that I can tell you at this time.

As a Marathon Volunteer - it`s the 40 anniversary this year - those hotels may not be on the offical list.

The Executive Inn is a block away from my condo at the upper end of the downtown core - it is close to the little ferries to Granville Island and while adjacent to an on ramp for the Granville Street Bridge I don`t find the traffic noise all that bad - ask for a room facing west - you will get a good view.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

While I walk by it just about every day I don`t know what is happening with the Burrard Inn - they are doing work but that is all that I can tell you at this time.

As a Marathon Volunteer - it`s the 40 anniversary this year - those hotels may not be on the offical list.

The Executive Inn is a block away from my condo at the upper end of the downtown core - it is close to the little ferries to Granville Island and while adjacent to an on ramp for the Granville Street Bridge I don`t find the traffic noise all that bad - ask for a room facing west - you will get a good view.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you Dennis. Very helpful info! We are looking forward to seeing the runners as well!

Lori-Jo

If you end up at the Executive Inn you are steps away from the course and might even see if from your room depending on your view and you are close to the finish line.

Times Square - you would need to walk a couple of blocks to Georgia and the entrance to Stanley Park

If you see some guys/gals on bikes leading the runners around the course or providing support services I will be one of them. We are a team of about 30 volunteers who are in charge of making sure that the runners run the right course and that no one interferes with the runners - we actually train twice a week for the five weeks before the race to get to know our other team members - about half are new each year - and also to ensure that we can keep pace with the runners - some of those Kenyans can do better than 10 MPH. Last year I had the honor of leading the runners for the first third of the race before passing off to another team mate. Our first training ride will be sometime in the next ten days - fortunately I have been riding somewhat over the winter so I am almost at the level I like to be to start the training - this will be my fifth year.

Once you decide on your hotel le me know and i will provide you with more info on where the good places are to watch the runners.

Cheers

Dennis

Originally Posted by Putterdude viewpost.gif

"...You may be as well to bring your wine with you from the US as our wine prices in BC tend to be up 3 times what you are likely used of paying...and you can certainly bring 2 bottles into Canada duty free."

Putterdude: is that 2 bottles per person or vehicle?

• 2 weeks later...

Here`s the scoop on the Burrard Inn - building was sold and the new owners are spending some $20M + to completely update and upmarket the hotel - I know the owner of the Blenz coffee shop located in the building and she was able to give me this information - far as she knows the name will stay the same which surprises me because it wasn`t well known outside of Vancouver - there may be a chain involved but she hadn`t heard anything more - she is more worried what happen with the rent at renewal time. Some units are expected to be ready in a month - you can see the bare walls from the street and it looks like one unit is finished as it has nice new curtains - perhaps a demo suite.

Cheers

Dennis

Ut, my impression of the is motor inn was that its market was people from out of town visiting patients at St. Paul's or people from out of town who had day surgery at St. Paul's who needed to stay close to the hospital over night. Seems to me there was a bit of a greasy spoon restaurant attached to the property and there used to be a gang of us who used to gather there for a late Saturday breakfast...but that was almost 50 years ago and the mind grows dim, dim, dimmer.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing some pre-planning for our cruise in April 2012 that ends in Vancouver. Last time we left out of Vancouver on Royal Carribean they used another port, not Canada Place. Do they still do that? If so, are there plenty of cabs available? As I recall it was a run down industrial area on the edge of town.

I'm also wondering about taking the train from Vancouver. Is it a train ride or a bus ride? All I've been able to find is a bus to Seattle and we don't want to do that. If it's a train we would be interested.

Thanks in advance for the help

I'm doing some pre-planning for our cruise in April 2012 that ends in Vancouver. Last time we left out of Vancouver on Royal Carribean they used another port, not Canada Place. Do they still do that? If so, are there plenty of cabs available? As I recall it was a run down industrial area on the edge of town.

I'm also wondering about taking the train from Vancouver. Is it a train ride or a bus ride? All I've been able to find is a bus to Seattle and we don't want to do that. If it's a train we would be interested.

Thanks in advance for the help

RCL is using Canada Place, which is a joy!

Dean:cool:

In all likelihood RCL will use Canada Place in 2012 and particularly for a cruise in April. However Sapphire Princess will be homeported in Vancouver in 2012 and we are awaiting word if the Disney Wonder will be back in 2012. The port calendar for 2012 will not be available until about February or March of 2012 but here is a link so that you can check back in the new year. http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/en/about/cruiseandtourism/cruiselineschedules.aspx

PD - Gosh your memory amazes me - yes there use to be a restaurant and lounge in the Burrard Inn that had cheaper drinks and some of us at the Y would go over day after work for a drink or too - it was much quieter than Roy`s across the street in the Century Plaza - if I remember correctly I think there was a waitress there was was quite the character.

Cheers

Dennis

`All I've been able to find is a bus to Seattle and we don't want to do that. If it's a train we would be interested.`

Amtrak runs both buses and trains from Vancouver - the train service is called the Cascades - a present one train in the early morning and the other in the evening.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

At the time there was some construction near Canada Place for the new convention centre, so one side of Canada Place wasn't available. Almost all ships now use Canada Place, and Ballantyne Pier is used only on the rare occasion where there's more than 3 ships in town at once.

Two trains a day, one early morning that goes all the way to Portland OR, and one around 5pm that goes to Seattle. Amtrak also operate buses. Amtrak trains leave from Pacific Station, which is about 2km from Canada Place, and/or 4 stops down the original Skytrain line to Main St.

If you book Amtrak, make sure you have VAC as your station ID, a lot of people put in Vancouver,WA by mistake (which is just across the river from Portland -- definitely the wrong way)

• 2 weeks later...

Questions for Ballentyne Pier:

What time does NCL start boarding passengers?

What time would be best for arriving at pier for a 4pm departure? NCL Star 5/14/11.

Any helpful tips would be appreciated as its our first time departing from Vancouver..

Thanks!!

Edited by dasey

As Ballantyne is only being used for overflow of ships on just several days this yr. The flow to the ship may be a bit ragged depending on Staffing proficiency and numbers available.

Check your itinerary. If you are going to be cleared by US Customs there and as I think this may be the first time the pier has/will be used since two season's ago you could expect some delays. eg. Will USA have enough people deployed to do both Piers. etc . etc.

In the past the Pier loaded similar to all other ports. Started around 11AM for us early folks.

So It's a bit up in the air. Sorry. Check with the cruise line for your "Proposed" boarding time.

If it was me. I'd go early and cross my fingers.

I'm having trouble using the POrts Metro schedule for some reason. A look there will help you decide if the pier has been used before your day this year.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/en/about/cruiseandtourism/cruiselineschedules.aspx

Need a little help deciding on what to do our last full day in Vancouver. We arrive on Sunday, June 25th via Amtrak and will check in to the Pan Pacific for two nights before our cruise sails on Tuesday, June 28th. I purchased the buy one day get a second day free tickets with Vancouver Trolley to use on Sunday and Monday before we sail. We will do the whole two hour tour around the city on Sunday afternoon without getting off and then spend all of Monday seeing everything that we want to except for Stanley Park. We sail Tuesday so we won't really do anything except for breakfast and then board the ship that day. When we return to Vancouver on Tuesday, July 5th we check back in to the Pan Pacific and plan to hit Stanley Park that day. We are certain that we want to see the Aquarium but I am figuring it will take us nearly all day to really see and enjoy it and maybe head up to Grouse Mountain late in the afternoon - is it possible to see and do both in one day without rushing. Not real sure if Grouse is a must see. Not really too interested in seeing the Suspension Bridge near there either. On the Wednesday I have booked a car for the day and am thinking of driving up to Whistler or possibly touring the outer areas of the city. This is what I need help with because am just not sure which would be a better plan for that day. I have read what a beautiful drive it is up to Whistler so that is why I was thinking it was a good option. My husband, parents and I love scenic drives where we can stop and take in the scenery and area. My daughter (age 13) likes the drives but prefers if it involves shopping. We are taking an amtrak bus back to Seattle late in the afternoon on Thursday, July 7th so we will have that morning to seeing anything close to the hotel that we missed or feel we need to see before we leave. I have ruled out a trip to Victoria because it is just too far and would be too long of a day for us - my parents are in their early 60's and after all that we will have done it may just be too much. Is Whistler (and the drive up) really worth seeing or should I focus more on Vancouver itself. We like to wake up early and head out and usually will spend and entire day touring - not commando style but we can get alot done. Any ideas or suggestions?

Given the time that you will have in the Vancouver area I think Whistler is very doable - while you can drive straight through in around two hours you will miss many of the sites.

When I do this trip and likely will this weekend I usually stop at the various attractions on which ever side of the road they are on. So here is possible list of places to see

Northbound - Museum of Mining at Britannia, Shannon Falls, Garibaldi lookout - Town of Squamish - places to shop and eat - Alice Lake Park - Tantalus Viewpoint - Brandywine Falls - Whistler Olympic Village at Cheakamus Crossing - Whistler main village - you park and walk as there are no cars in the village proper - I would extend my trip another 30 minutes and drive to Nairn Falls and hike the short distance to the Falls.

Southbound -on the return you might want to drive up to the Whistler Olympic Park - where the Biathlon and Cross Country competitions took place with a stop at Alexander Falls - then a stop at Brohm Lake - Back to Squamish - if you have time check out the Rail Museum - then Garibaldi lookout from the other side of the road - Murrin Lake - Porteau Cove and then when you get back near Vancouver take the Horseshoe Bay/Marine drive exit and take the scenic route back to Vancouver - depending on your timing you might want to think about supper at Trolls in Horseshoe Bay for a feast of Fish and Chips and if it is a warm day and our weather tends to be that in July you might even want to have it as a take out order and walk across the street and sit at a picnic table and watch the BC Ferries come and do.

Other might have some more ideas and I will see if I can find my blog page describing some of what I mentioned above.

FOUND IT - Here is a link to my blog and a journal entry of the drive to just north of Squamish - the highway is finished so disregard any reference to delays etc.

http://yvrcruiser.blogspot.com/2009/04/day-trip-along-sea-to-sky-highway-99.html

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker