Vancouver Info if needed

Sorry misread the hotel - thought they were staying at the Bayshore - a brain fart can some times become a brain cram.

There is also Ricky's Grill in the Food Court adjacent to Canada Place - if there menu is similiar to some of the other Ricky's i have eaten at that might also be a possibility.

Cheers

Dennis

How far is the ferry landing in Vancouver coming from Victoria to the Marriott Pinnacle Downtown? Do we need a taxi? How long a ride?

It's around 30 K's .. Taxi's out there may be scarce if not pre arranged. Public transit is about 2 hrs if you hit all connections and you must transfer to Canada Line and walk a bit several times. 550 metres at the end of Canada line

Recommend Pacific Coast Bus Lines... but you would still need to get to the Hotel via TAXI 12$ or so or do sky train and walk the same as above.

see:http://www.pacificcoach.com/Bus-Coach-Travel/Crosswater/Victoria-to-Vancouver

How far is the ferry landing in Vancouver coming from Victoria to the Marriott Pinnacle Downtown? Do we need a taxi? How long a ride?

37km (24 miles) south of Vancouver; A taxi will be $60-75. Also remember the ferry terminal on the Victoria end, is also 32km north of downtown Victoria.

You can grab the Pacific Coach Lines bus, on the ferry (or downtown Victoria), to the Vancouver Bus depot (co-located with the VIA/Amtrak Station at Main/Quebec), tickets are available for the 1st 30 minutes departing out of Victoria. On the Vancouver end, you'll need to get into downtown (Skytrain $2.50/ea to Burrard Stn) or Taxi ($10ish) ride. Total time from ferry to the bus station is about 45-50 minutes, then add your ride back into downtown.. You can also catch this bus in downtown Victoria. Price is $45ish from downtown Victoria (including ferry), or $10 for the ticket just from the ferry terminal to the bus station.

A much better option for Tsawwassen to downtown (if your luggage is on wheels), is the local bus system/Skytrain. #620 bus from Tsawwassen Ferry terminal to "Bridgeport Station", then Canada Line Skytrain (subway most of the way) into downtown Vancouver. $5 (one 3-zone ticket is good on both, or $2.50 one-zone on evenings/weekends), takes about in hour (not the 2 hours as previously mentioned) http://translink.ca/ for more details, for example:

#620 bus: dep Tsawwassen 12:04, arr Bridgeport 12:37

Canada Line Skytrain: dep Bridgeport 12:44, arr Waterfront 13:02

get off using the "Exit - Granville Street" elevator right on the Waterfront platform (don't go down the tunnel in to Waterfront station itself) and walk 4 blocks up W.Hastings to your hotel, about 400m.

I can't say I've ever seen [in my daily commute on Skytrain], a ticket machine that doesn't take credit or debit cards. I'm 100% sure that the stations a tourist would be interested in (Waterfront, YVR, Stadium, City Hall, Metrotown) all accept debit/credit cards and our visitors to our city should not be concerned about running across one that doesn't.

In case anyone was concerned about not being able to use debit/credit on a ticket machine, here's a couple of photos of typical machines taken this morning during my commute. CASH/DEBIT CARD/CREDIT CARD

This is the older style machine, located on the Expo line, newer ones also allow credit/debit (see https://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#slideshow/5371848773206532738)

ticket1.png

ticket2.png

IMO the best bet is the Pacific Coast Lines service, they have drop off service at the Renaissance Hotel which is right across the street from the Marriott on a couple of services each day and they do drop off at the Fairmont Vancouver Hotel on each service each day which is about a 5 block walk (downhill) to the Marriott. If you didn't want to schlep your luggage for 5 blocks a cab fare would only be a few dollars and there is a cab line at the Vancouver Hotel.

It is all fine and dandy to show the ticket machines and that they will accept debit cards and charge cards - the fact remains that it appears that the Translink web site says they may not be available - has anyone phoned Translink and ask them about the discrepancy.

Cheers

Dennis

It's around 30 K's .. Taxi's out there may be scarce if not pre arranged. Public transit is about 2 hrs if you hit all connections and you must transfer to Canada Line and walk a bit several times. 550 metres at the end of Canada line

Recommend Pacific Coast Bus Lines... but you would still need to get to the Hotel via TAXI 12$ or so or do sky train and walk the same as above.

see:http://www.pacificcoach.com/Bus-Coach-Travel/Crosswater/Victoria-to-Vancouver

Pacific Coast sounds like your best bet....

However, just for completeness.... Another option that is a bit more expensive but you get a very nice view is Harbor Air or (http://www.harbour-air.com/) or Helijet. In one case it is a sea plane service from the Victoria Harbour and it the second case it is a Helicopter service. Like airlines these guys make their money on last minute business booking, but you can get discounted rates is you book early. A few years ago it could be as low as $99 now I think it is closer to $200 per person. Baggage allowances are quite limited. Helijet arrives at the Heliport next to Sea Bus and Waterfront station. Harbor Air docks at the convention centre complex on the opposite side of Canada Place. Many years ago there were fast cat downtown to downtown ferries, however those are long gone.

Air Canada also has airport to airport service however you still need to get downtown at both ends.

Technically Harbour and West Coast Air don't land at the Convention Center - they have so far refused to move to the new terminal at the Convention Center - they are still at the location next door to the Convention Center.

The picture attached was taken from the Convention Center looking west towards Coal Harbour and Stanley Park.

Cheers

Dennis

60555584_AbeautifuldayintheParkMarch242012007.jpg.8b575e53737472e895f71c4d433c0e63.jpg

While flying West Coast Air or Harbour Air is not a bad idea, one of the issues for a person traveling for a period of time is luggage. They will only accommodate 25 lbs of luggage including carry-on per person. While they will fly more luggage than the 25 lbs it is on a stand-by basis and when it might arrive depends entirely on weight availability on the aircraft; there is no assurance that it will arrive with you on your flight.

how close is the princess cruise ship terminal from the ferry stop? also how far is the waterfront marriot?

The Tsawwassen ferry terminal (Vancouver-Victoria route) is about 25 miles, the Horseshoe Bay terminal (Vancouver-Nanaimo route) is about 15 miles. The Marriott Pinnacle is about 4 blocks from Canada Place which Princess uses.

i see on the map provided by the hotel, a ferry line called the sea bus. it looks like it ends right at canada place. we are walkons with just two small bags. do you have any info anout this?

OK, now I know what you are speaking of. It is the SeaBus which forms part of our transit system. It is a walk on service that takes commuters back and forth from downtown Vancouver to what we call the North Shore.

The south terminal for the SeaBus is Waterfront station which is about 3 blocks from Canada Place and about 6 blocks from the Marriott. Once inside Waterfront station you have a walk of about 3/4's of a block to the ferry dock. You are certainly welcome to take the trip across the harbour, there is a small festival type market on the north side called Lonsdale Quay. The fare is $3.75 ($2.50 if over age 65) each way unless you do it both ways in under 90 mins .... which is possible. During the week the ferries run every 15 mins & every 30 mins on Sundays.

You can take your luggage on the SeaBus but you may find it more convenient to check your luggage with the porters at Canada Place who start accepting luggage from cruise ship passengers at about 0930.

thanks for you help. i still have the problem of getting from victoria to the cruise ship. i guess i'll just have to suck it up and get a taxi. we're staying in vancouver before we go to seattle and than to victoria by seaplane. we're leaving the bulk of our luggage at the hotel, and picking it up on our way to the cruise ship.

thanks for you help. i still have the problem of getting from victoria to the cruise ship. i guess i'll just have to suck it up and get a taxi. we're staying in vancouver before we go to seattle and than to victoria by seaplane. we're leaving the bulk of our luggage at the hotel, and picking it up on our way to the cruise ship.

if you're coming from [downtown] Victoria to Canada Place/Downtown Vancouver and have minimal luggage, the way to go is via the local bus systems and the ferry. It's well under ½ the price of taking the Pacific Coach Line bus from downtown to downtown (which rides on the same ferry), and you don't have to worry about getting from the Vancouver bus station to downtown Vancouver (only a couple of coaches/day actually do that).

• #70 downtown Victoria to SWARTZ BAY. $2.50
  • Walk on the ferry $15
  • #620 bus to BRIDGEPORT STATION, followed by Canada Line Skytrain to Waterfront or Vancouver City Centre if that's closer to your hotel. $5.00 (3-zone ticket)

The all in travel time is about 4½ hours, but it's all very straightforward. Aproximate travel times might be:

dep #70 bus from downtown Victoria: 09:40

dep Swartz Bay ferry terminal: 11:00

arr Tsawwassen ferry terminal: 12:35

dep #620 bus Tsawwassen ferry: 13:00

arr downtown Vancouver: 14:00

a nice bonus is that the #70 route on the Victoria side is normally a double-decker, great view from the upper deck.

if you do it by Pacific Coach ($55)

dep Victoria bus depot (behind Empress hotel): 10:00

dep Swartz Bay: 11:00

arr Vancouver bus depot: 13:30

taxi to Canada place, arr: 13:45

Hi :) I have a couple of questions!

1) Regarding the Vancouver Trolley "Hop on, Hop off" bus...we bought a 2 day pass online. I read somewhere that the pass is good for 1 full circuit per day? Does that mean that we cant hop on the bus in the morning for Capillano, go back to our hotel, wash up and then hop back on later in the day??

2) Where exactly is the pixelated orca? Is it at Olympic Park? Does the trolley stop near the orca?

3) Where are some good eating places near the Holiday Inn downtown?

Thanks!!

Hi :) I have a couple of questions!

1) Regarding the Vancouver Trolley "Hop on, Hop off" bus...we bought a 2 day pass online. I read somewhere that the pass is good for 1 full circuit per day? Does that mean that we cant hop on the bus in the morning for Capillano, go back to our hotel, wash up and then hop back on later in the day??

2) Where exactly is the pixelated orca? Is it at Olympic Park? Does the trolley stop near the orca?

3) Where are some good eating places near the Holiday Inn downtown?

Thanks!!

The two day passes you purchased do not include the Capilano Suspension Bridge, that is a separate tour...but all is not lost, the CSB have a free shuttle to and from the attraction which is operated by the Vancouver Trolley people. Here is a link link You can do the bridge and then do both the red and blue loop getting off and on as many times as you wish for the duration of your passes.

The pixulated Orca and the Olympic Cauldron form part of Jack Poole plaza which is just west of the Convention Centre, you will get off at Canada Place and its about 1 1/2 blocks to the left as you are facing the water.

Eating places around the Holiday Inn, except for restaurants like the Keg and Joe Fortes on Thurlow just south of Robson St. I will leave for Ut to answer as he lives in the general neighborhood.

Most of the eateries nearest your hotel will be more pub style as you are located near the entertainment district but here are a few that are within a few blocks of the hotel.

There is always the White Spot. http://www.whitespot.ca

There is a newer establishment that I haven't been to but it is being featured on our Food channel here in Canada - the American Cheese Steak on Davie at Howe.

There is a chicken place called Nando's also on Davie near Howe

These are casual places.

If interested in Greek food there is Stephos on Davie but it has long lineup so an alternate would be the Adonis on Granville - a half block from the White Spot.

Further up Davie in the Sandman hotel is Moxie's.

For Spaghetti and Pasta there is Priscalla's on Davie - note to PD - used to be called Gigi's - change of name but not ownership.

Finally if all less fails there is a 24 hour Denny's at Davie and Thurlow.

If you let us know your food perference others here will have there favorites.

Cheers

Dennis

The two day passes you purchased do not include the Capilano Suspension Bridge, that is a separate tour...but all is not lost, the CSB have a free shuttle to and from the attraction which is operated by the Vancouver Trolley people. Here is a link link You can do the bridge and then do both the red and blue loop getting off and on as many times as you wish for the duration of your passes.

The pixulated Orca and the Olympic Cauldron form part of Jack Poole plaza which is just west of the Convention Centre, you will get off at Canada Place and its about 1 1/2 blocks to the left as you are facing the water.

Eating places around the Holiday Inn, except for restaurants like the Keg and Joe Fortes on Thurlow just south of Robson St. I will leave for Ut to answer as he lives in the general neighborhood.

We actually have already purchased Capilano Tickets but thanks for mentioning that its not included just incase I didnt know that :) So, youre saying that I can ride the red and blue loops 5 times each if I like? (Not that I am...just wanna make sure!)

Thanks for the eating suggestions and your help!

You would waste half a day taking transit and the ferry, I think the Harbour Air float plane is the best value for your time and is more direct,

While taking the ferry might seem boring to some, to a lot of visitors to this area, it's a highlight with a very picturesque ride through active pass. Add to that a double decker bus ride on the Victoria side (the normal buses on the #70), and that's a tourist attraction!

Also, considering it's $22.50 bus/ferry/bus from downtown to downtown, versus $115 for the very cheapest web specials on harbour-air.com for the floatplane... There's a reason both exist, they deal with different markets