Food for Vegetarians on the Summit

lyndsy

We are planning a cruise on the Summit and are vegetarians. This will be our first cruise on a Celebrity ship (past cruises were on NCL). I have been reading reviews, browsing under the "cruise foodies" board, and read the Century menus through a link on this board (special thanks to the person who posted it). It seems to me Celebrity doesn't offer vegetarian entrees. Can anyone confirm this? Of course there are soups, salads, an occasional pasta dish, and desserts on the menu that can be meat free, but I was wondering about main entrees. Thanks!

Thank you! Glad to hear there is vegetarian menu. Has anyone tried entrees from this menu? I am curious if the choices are items such as spagetti, pizza, and veggie burgers or more creative ones such as Greek Vegetable Moussaka, Mushroom Crepes, and Caramelized Asian Noodles with Eggplant, Cashews and Fried Tofu (these last three items were served on NCL's ships and were so delicous!). We hope to sail on the Summit in late 2005 or early 2006. We are waiting for Celebrity to release the Caribbean schedule for this time period. I sure hope the Summit continues to sail the Caribbean in the winter!

Yes, I can confirm that there is a vegetarian choice at every meal, and I have had some, especially the eggplant-centric ones. I recall them as pretty interesting - curries, etc. - generally, Celebrity has pretty interesting food. The grill also offers veggie burgers (the non-meat pizzas are likely ok if you're down with cheese), and you can get vegetarian choices at the spa buffet by the Thalassotherapy pool. Memory fails me on how they handled it at the buffet, sorry :(

I just got off the Horizon and I have sailed X many times in the past.

I have sailed NCL many times, last year 1x on Dawn, this year 1x on Dawn.

Don`t know what kind of veg you are , I am ovo-lacto. The Dawn`s food is far superior then X. I had to turn back every entre at dinner. I finally told our waiter that if I liked the appetizer, order me 2 more for dinner "just in case".

At least if I didn`t like the dinner on NCL I could go to another venue later in the night. By far, IMHO X has the worse veg. RCCI was pretty good.

They do serve veggi burgers at the Grill for lunch. Just make sure they don`t fry it with all of the grease from the meat on the grill. There was an East Indian cook that knew exactly why. One day there was another cook and he said "That`s the way it is done!! The other cook overheard him and quickly came and told me that he would cook it in the galley.

I am...well was a veggie when on my Celeb. cruise last year. I eat fish now, but no other meats. Anyways.. the veggie food was AMAZING. Very creative.. not just steamed veggies and pasta dishes. There was never a shortage of option and the special menu was wonderful.

The best part was the Ma'D asked me one of the first nights if I liked Indian food. I do, and told him so. I thought he was just making conversation. A few nights later, I had just finished ordering off the menu. Suddenly, the Ma'D came over with all these indian dishes for me! They were incredible... at par or better than the indian restaurants in Boston. Only prob? The waiter then brought me the dinner I had originally ordered. I was laughing with all the food. I felt bad! Then as a joke, the waiter brought me 2 desserts! I was full till the next afternoon!! hehe. They were so incredibly nice. Since there aren't many veggies on board, I would say, don't be surprised if you get a little more service/attention in the dining room. And that is a good thing!

Just off the Infinity, DD is a vegetarian and found lots of choices. Yes there is a separate menu in the main dining room, with at least two choices each night in each category. Some of the main dish ones I remember her ordering are stuffed shells, veggies in puff pastry, tempeh kebabs. She also had risotto at the specialty restaurant.

For lunch she usually went to the sandwich section at the very aft part of the buffet line and had them make a multi cheese sandwich, and had the salad bar, or made to order pasta at another station, or she would get cheese pizza at the pool.

Archived