50-lb. Baggage Limit??

Marialivia

I just measured my suitcase, and the dimensions add up to 56 inches, including the wheels. As the SAS limit is 62 inches, I'm within "the zone." There is no question of my taking an additional suitcase, as my physical condition precludes this.

Marialivia, if you have one bag with wheels on it (and you do) what is to preclude you from taking a second bag and hooking it onto your first bag, piggy-back? That is what I do. One can easily carry 2 bags piggy back on one large rolling bag. The only effort involved is hooking them together. Most bags comes with either hooks or clasps to enable piggy-backing them. If your don't, you can find straps at most luggage stores (or even at Wallmart!!!) that will enable you to piggy-back a second bag onto the one with wheels. Once Piggy-backed it's a simple matter to walk through the airport lines, check in. Then, unmate the bags and hand them, one at a time, to the checker. After the flight, get the bags off the claim and remate them. It's FAR easier than trying to lug two bags around.

Excellent suggestion, RevNeal!

Another possibility...you can also buy one of those small collapsible "dolly" type things with wheels if you have some luggage that doesn't have wheels. I've seen them at Walmart, and other places that carry travel items. You just strap your un-wheeled bags onto it and roll! Once you get your bags where you want them, just remove from the wheel-cart and tuck it away either inside that bag, or in your carry-on.

If you have some luggage you really like, but it does not have wheels, this is a good option.:)

happy wednesday to all!

4 days till Westerdam to Alaska!!!:eek:

sarahjane

Marialivia, if you have one bag with wheels on it (and you do) what is to preclude you from taking a second bag and hooking it onto your first bag, piggy-back? That is what I do. One can easily carry 2 bags piggy back on one large rolling bag. The only effort involved is hooking them together. Most bags comes with either hooks or clasps to enable piggy-backing them. If your don't, you can find straps at most luggage stores (or even at Wallmart!!!) that will enable you to piggy-back a second bag onto the one with wheels. Once Piggy-backed it's a simple matter to walk through the airport lines, check in. Then, unmate the bags and hand them, one at a time, to the checker. After the flight, get the bags off the claim and remate them. It's FAR easier than trying to lug two bags around.

This is exactly what I do. I frequently cruise solo and take multiple bags. I just clip them together and off they go. Since all my bags together weigh less than one big bag would, it also makes it easier when I need to lift the bags onto beds or up stairs.

And once again, thank you all! If I were to take two suitcases, that's exactly what I'd do -- "piggy-back" them. However, I just returned from a headache-producing session with the TA, who informed us (and showed us the verifying policy info from SAS) that we are allowed a TOTAL of 44 lbs. each, not two bags weighing in at a combined weight of 88 or less. My problem I guess is that I have absolutely no concept of what 34 lbs. of clothing looks like! The TA suggested that we put the heavier things, such as shoes, into the carry-on, which we'll do. It seems senseless to me in a way, because the weight will still be on the plane, one way or the other. In any event, I'm prepared to pay the $25 if I do go over the allowance, but will endeavor not to do so.ML:D

SAS seems to be more restrictive than most. I read the restrictions on their website and, for travel to/from the US, there seems to be a different set of rules, but it really isn't totally clear exactly what they are... it seems to say that you can have two pieces at 20kg (44lb) plus an 8 kg (17.6lb) carryon. If you are not flying to/from the US then the single bag limit would apply.

Your baggage

For international travel (except to/from the USA ) on SAS flights, the free baggage allowance in economy class is 20 kg, in business class it is 30 kg. One piece of hand luggage per passenger is allowed on board. Hand luggage must not exceed 55x40x23 cm, or weigh more than 8 kg. It can be stowed under the seat in front of you or in one of the overhead lockers. Please take care when opening the overhead lockers while the aircraft is moving or after landing.

spacer.gif

On SAS flights to and from the USA , the free baggage allowance is based on a piece-baggage concept, depending on the point of origin or destination when the baggage is checked through. The piece-baggage concept is as follows: two pieces of baggage and one piece of hand luggage (see dimensions above).

spacer.gif

Each piece of baggage should be clearly marked with your address - both inside and outside. Unmarked baggage will not be accepted.

spacer.gif

Sorry to add any more worry but please verify with SAS that the excess baggage fee is only $25. I know that BA will not allow you to go over the weight allowance...you'll be one of those people trying to frantically repack you suitcase at the ticket counter....been there done that :-)

All airlines have very diffrent baggage policies depending on the route, the way the ticket was issued...USA-LON seperate ticket for LON - EUROPE etc & can be rather complicated.

It is better to be safe than sorry.

When you use one of those new check your bags on the ship to the airline deals i wonder if they weigh bags, and if so, how they catch up with you to charge you if you are overweight.

If you are concerned about how much additional weight you have added to your suitcases while cruising, you can always roll the bag up to the gym where there is a scale!

Looking forward to hear about your Gems of the Baltic cruise. Am planning on taking the same one next year. :D Let me know about the temperatures as I've heard the same about a vast range of highs and lows in the summertime.:eek:

Yesterday I attended the informational meeting on our 6/12 cruise. The TA told us that the temperature in June would most likely be between 65 and 75 and that we should be sure to take a light jacket and sweater. ML

The following comes from the Scandinavian Airlines website:

Within the set allowance, the baggage you bring with you is carried free of charge. Baggage allowances are normally set by weight but a piece concept applies on some flights.

You will save time and trouble by removing any tags from previous flights and marking your bags inside and out with your name and destination address. You can pick up labels from your local SAS office, travel agents or at airport check-in counters.

Checked baggage

Checked baggage is all baggage for which a baggage identification tag is issued.

Weight concept

Weight Concept means that the passenger’s baggage is measured by the total weight.

Class of service Weight allowance

Business Class 30 kg / 66 lbs

Economy Extra

(Intercontinental routes) 30 kg / 66 lbs

Economy Flex/

Economy class 20 kg / 44 lbs

Infant - any class 10 kg / 22 lbs and a collapsible stroller

Weight regularities for certain destinations

For health and safety reasons authorities have imposed a maximum weight per piece of baggage allowed at some destinations. Baggage to, from or via such destinations must not weigh more than 32 kg/70 lbs per piece.

The destinations with weight limitations served by us are:

Moscow, and destinations in the United Kingdom.

If you have connecting flights to destinations served by other airlines, please check with your travel agent for possible additional restrictions. (E.g. Johannesburg, South Africa and destinations in Australia and New Zealand)

Piece concept

For flights to/from Canada, US, Mexico and Brazil the passenger’s baggage is measured by the number and the size of the baggage. With size we mean length + width + height.

Class of service Piece allowance Max weight/piece Max size/piece

Business class 2 32 kg / 70 lbs 158 cm / 62 in

Economy Extra 2 32 kg / 70 lbs 158 cm / 62 in

Economy class 2 23 kg / 50 lbs 158 cm / 62 in

Infant - any class 1 + 1 collapsible stroller 10 kg / 23 lbs 115 cm / 45 in

Source: http://www.scandinavian.net/EC/Appl/Home/FrontDoor/0,3479,LNG%253Den%2526SO%253D81A372776F54492A_981D5578A42EC6F1%2526MKT%253DUS,00.html

From whence are you flying? If you're flying from the US or Canada, then according to the SAS website your allowance should be figured based upon the piece and not the total mass. In other words, you should be allowed 2 pieces at 50 lbs per piece.

Please ask your TA to re-check the guidelines.

Trust me I paid some excellent tips for an overweight pack last December and would do it again. If I had two 50 lb suitcases I would tip someone else to cart these through the major airports.

LHC

I am most appreciative of ALL these suggestions, and particularly so with RevNeal's and Grumpy's including information from SAS websites. Bottom Line: I am taking ONE suitcase weighing 44 lbs. and ONE carry-on with less than 18 lbs. I've already asked the TA to clarify, and saw with my own eyes the faxed reply from the SAS rep.

I'm nothing if not persistent, however, and in an effort to find my way through the morass of the SAS baggage info from its website, I went through it, crossed out what did not apply to me, and highlighted the things that do apply. Thanks Grumpy for noting the contradictions on the SAS site! These are my areas of frustration -- quoted passages are directly from the site:

1. “Your baggage is free of charge as long as it is kept within the agreed limits, which are based on the Weight Concept or the Piece Concept. The Weight Concept applies on all flights, EXCEPT THOSE TO AND FROM THE U.S., CANADA, AND MEXICO.”

COMMENT: As my deparature and return flights are direct FROM AND TO THE U.S., it seems that the above “exception” to the Weight Concept would refer to my baggage. (But I find it hard to believe that there is not a weight limit.)

2. “Passengers traveling in Economy Flex and Economy are entitled to 20 kg (44 lb.).”

COMMENT: Because of the “exception” noted above, I find this to be in contradiction with the “exception” noted in Paragraph 1. If, as I am inclined to believe, there IS a weight limit irrespective of Paragraph 1, then the 44 lbs. would seem to be the one for me. Note that it does not state “per piece.”

3. “For travel TO USA . . .the maximum permitted weight per piece . . .is 23 kg (50 lb).”

COMMENT: It seems that this would apply to my RETURN flight from Copenhagen to USA. (6 additional pounds?. Unusual).

4. “Passengers, irrespective of class, are allowed two pieces of checked baggage, and the overall size . . .”

COMMENT: I have no problem with this verbiage but still believe there MUST be a weight limit, regardless of the exception noted in the first paragraph.

(No problem understanding the limits stated for carry-ons.)

Just wanted to get this off my chest, especially if there are others taking SAS flights. ML:confused:

I am most appreciative of ALL these suggestions, and particularly so with RevNeal's and Grumpy's including information from SAS websites. Bottom Line: I am taking ONE suitcase weighing 44 lbs. and ONE carry-on with less than 18 lbs. I've already asked the TA to clarify, and saw with my own eyes the faxed reply from the SAS rep.

I'm nothing if not persistent, however, and in an effort to find my way through the morass of the SAS baggage info from its website, I went through it, crossed out what did not apply to me, and highlighted the things that do apply. Thanks Grumpy for noting the contradictions on the SAS site! These are my areas of frustration -- quoted passages are directly from the site:

1. “Your baggage is free of charge as long as it is kept within the agreed limits, which are based on the Weight Concept or the Piece Concept. The Weight Concept applies on all flights, EXCEPT THOSE TO AND FROM THE U.S., CANADA, AND MEXICO.”

COMMENT: As my deparature and return flights are direct FROM AND TO THE U.S., it seems that the above “exception” to the Weight Concept would refer to my baggage. (But I find it hard to believe that there is not a weight limit.)

2. “Passengers traveling in Economy Flex and Economy are entitled to 20 kg (44 lb.).”

COMMENT: Because of the “exception” noted above, I find this to be in contradiction with the “exception” noted in Paragraph 1. If, as I am inclined to believe, there IS a weight limit irrespective of Paragraph 1, then the 44 lbs. would seem to be the one for me. Note that it does not state “per piece.”

3. “For travel TO USA . . .the maximum permitted weight per piece . . .is 23 kg (50 lb).”

COMMENT: It seems that this would apply to my RETURN flight from Copenhagen to USA. (6 additional pounds?. Unusual).

4. “Passengers, irrespective of class, are allowed two pieces of checked baggage, and the overall size . . .”

COMMENT: I have no problem with this verbiage but still believe there MUST be a weight limit, regardless of the exception noted in the first paragraph.

(No problem understanding the limits stated for carry-ons.)

Just wanted to get this off my chest, especially if there are others taking SAS flights. ML:confused:

Sort of makes you wonder if part of the confusing language is a result of translation into english from a document originally written in another language. I can't believe anyone could write such a confusing document.

I'm utterly confused. SAS's website -- the page I cited -- indicates that flights to and from the USA, Canada, Mexico, and Brazil are to be governed by the "piece" concept. In other words, for economy flights to and from the USA one should be allowed 2 bags at 50 lbs per-bag. That's what their website says, at least. If they're telling the TA something else (and it sure sounds like they are), then you should obviously go with what they're telling the TA. However, before departure I would ask the TA to do some further inquiry up the line with SAS. Remind them of what their published policy states, and remind them that these are flights to and from the USA to Europe, and that according to their published policy they SHOULD be governed by the per-piece concept, NOT the total weight concept.

I'm utterly confused. SAS's website -- the page I cited -- indicates that flights to and from the USA, Canada, Mexico, and Brazil are to be governed by the "piece" concept. In other words, for economy flights to and from the USA one should be allowed 2 bags at 50 lbs per-bag. That's what their website says, at least. If they're telling the TA something else (and it sure sounds like they are), then you should obviously go with what they're telling the TA. However, before departure I would ask the TA to do some further inquiry up the line with SAS. Remind them of what their published policy states, and remind them that these are flights to and from the USA to Europe, and that according to their published policy they SHOULD be governed by the per-piece concept, NOT the total weight concept.
The only change I would make to your suggestion, is that I would make the inquiry myself, rather than going through the TA. Reason: the answer you get often is determined by how the question is asked. You may tell the TA what you want to know, but will the TA ask the right question or leave out some detail in their inquiry? I agree with you that it appears the 2 pieces at 50lb per piece allowances should apply.

Hi,

We flew to Seattle last summer on Southwest and had the 50lb per bag limit. Then took Amtrack to Vancouver to catch the ship and they also had a 50lb per bag limit and weighed our suitcases. So beware!!

Hello Again: I had of course printed the SAS site from which I quoted above, and it is sitting right before my very good eyes. For whatever it means, it says at the top 2006-04-24 (NOT the date on which I consulted it, which was just last week); Under the SAS logo it reads "Help Center," and under that "At the airport." I could look further and try to find a phone number on this site, but at this point I'll settle for the 44 lbs. suitcase and 18-lb. duffle.

You are ALL heroes! ML:rolleyes:

I also do not do well moving luggage and must have help, but I saw all those ads for the luggage on wheels that spins out of the way so the nice lady carrying it can rush through the airport and bounce happily up some stairs in some European city. So I thought, looks good to me and saw some in Costco.

A charming gentleman offered to get it down for me then strongly urged me not to buy it. He said he traveled a lot and the wheels were too small and would get stuck in grates, etc. I looked; he was right.

If you do look for new luggage, look at the size of the wheels and what it is made of. I took "softsided" and low weight luggage on my last cruise. Flying out of Houston to Lisbon. I was lucky I did not pay attention to the rain so I did not worry until I got on the ship and found most of my clothes nicely wet. My stewardess, who was a princess, helped me turn my cabin into a laundry.

We had a wonderful time and laughed our heads off but she did gently suggest that the hard sided was worth the extra money.

Just some thoughts.

The previous cruise which was also airline out of Houston the curb side checker just kind of missed noticing the 55 pounds. Although he did tell us firmly never to do it again. We rearranged coming back and it worked out OK. His attitude seemed to be, well the two of them added up to less than 100 pounds.

My sister uses a softside suitcase. She was getting ready for a flight yesterday and. after packing, saw that it was raining and probably would still be raining at the airport. She put everything into a plastic bag and put the bag into the suitcase. Problem solved, as long as TSA didn't tear the bag.

Driving across Florida to Port Everglades last year, we saw a pickup truck piled high with luggage of all descriptions. It was probably a group cruise or a baggage forwarding service. It was pouring rain so hard we could hardly see to drive. I wonder how wet those bags were when they arrived?

Good advice!! Thank you because, frankly I prefer my soft sided luggage with its extra pockets and happy attitude toward bulging. The fun part: I got it at Target many years ago when my expensive stuff fell apart in St. Louis. It is holding up beautifully. Except for that little leak issue.

Good advice!! Thank you because, frankly I prefer my soft sided luggage with its extra pockets and happy attitude toward bulging. The fun part: I got it at Target many years ago when my expensive stuff fell apart in St. Louis. It is holding up beautifully. Except for that little leak issue.

To stop your little leak problem, try packing everything in the really large Ziploc bags. Your stuff will be protected, you'll find it saves space, and usually you'll have less wrinkles that way as well.

With regard to the comment about the weight still being on board the aircraft even if you pack heavier things into the hand luggage, I believe that the strict limits have been introduced to protect baggage handlers. There have been many back injuries caused by them having to lift extremely heavy bags.

According to the BA website, their luggage allowances for crossing the Atlantic are two pieces of luggage - each piece not to exceed 62 inches in total dimensions and 70 lbs in weight. Therefore you can take a total of 140 lbs in weight, so long as it fits into bags of the correct dimension. I can't imagine taking a bag weighing 70 lbs - even when going on a cruise - and I take everything but the kitchen sink with me! :eek:

...I can't imagine taking a bag weighing 70 lbs - even when going on a cruise - and I take everything but the kitchen sink with me! :eek:

Actually, the kitchen sink will bring the bag to 70 lbs :D

With regard to the comment about the weight still being on board the aircraft even if you pack heavier things into the hand luggage, I believe that the strict limits have been introduced to protect baggage handlers. There have been many back injuries caused by them having to lift extremely heavy bags.

Thanks for this message. I, above all people, should be sensitive to the back problems of others, being plagued with this same affliction myself. I often wonder how baggage handlers and furniture movers get through life! It seems to me that 44 lbs. (including weight of suitcase) should be enough for me, especially since I am allowed another 18 lbs. in my carry-on. :rolleyes: ML

As I said above, I take everything I can lay my hands on when I go on holiday, cruise or otherwise, and have never had my bag weigh more than 44 lbs. Often it's not even near that.

However, I do like to go on flights that allow 2 hold bags per passenger, because then I can use one bag for difficult things like shoes! :)

Archived