50-lb. Baggage Limit??

Marialivia

On surfing these boards earlier today, I noted a mention of a 50-lb. limit on baggage. Why haven't I heard of this before? (Maybe I have heard it but repressed it -- possible!) On previous trips I've had to pack both light- and heavier-weight clothes because of itineraries and time of year. I'll be visiting the Baltic countries next month and am told that I need to be prepared for weather that is MUCH cooler in June than it is here, but that there's an occasional "hot" day in the 80s. I'm trying valiantly to pack things that can be layered, but I'm still fearful it will be more than 50 lbs. (I'm planning to weigh my empty suitcase as soon as I sign off from here!) Thanks for your help. ML:D

Yes, most airlines have 50-pound weight limits for their luggage. Even international flights have had the limit lowered from 70 to 50. This was done rather quietly, but most have issued announcements. I'd suggest you visit the website of your airline to confirm their limits. There are some exceptions to this lower limit, but they are few.

Remember that each person may check two pieces of luggage. While it's more of a hassle to have more pieces, that may be your only alternative.

Good luck.

Check your particular airlines for the details on international flights. It seems that most airlines have made the reduction in weight so don't be caught paying a surcharge at the terminal or repacking in front of everone just to even out the load.

I know, this one was new to me. I just received my documents for June on NCL when I saw it. I completely understand it but it is quite the pain in the rump as I'm flying BA & they still allow the bags up to 70 pounds so I am having to take 2 pieces now.

If it's worth it to you to just bring one bag, you can always go ahead and opt to pay the extra charge for your overweight bag. I'm pretty sure it's $25.00. You might want to check on that to be sure. Last time we were flying, I saw a person who was paying the "fat bag fee" :D . (No, it wasn't me!!)

Some people would rather pay extra than lug 2 bags.

happy tuesday to all!

sarahjane

Yes, my bags were weighed (more than 50 pounds) departing from Fort Launderdale, after my cruise, and there was a surcharge fee applied - US$25. Funny, there was no problem departing from Canada and I know I didn't buy that much:D

The limits and overweight fees vary by airline and flight class. We are flying continental in June and get 2 50lb bags each in coach class. First class gets 2 70lb bags. The surcharge in coach for bags over 50lb but less than 70lb is $25. The combined length +width+height cannot exceed 64 inches. 28inch suitcases are pretty safe. Most 30 inch cases are pushing the limit. Check your airline's website and search for baggage limits to see what applies to you.

I believe that Jet Blue is the only domestic that still has 70 lbs as their limit. American allows 70lbs to Puerto Rico. Flying first class American always seemed to overlook an overage but last month the overage limit for first class was three pounds, else the $25 sur charge. With the way my wife packs we now carry 4 pieces of checked luggage - My wife would take a steamer trunk if allowed and the 70lb bags were breaking my back. Now I fear that they will go to 40lbs and then I'm in real trouble, since my wife will declare that she has nothing to wear.

Yes, my bags were weighed (more than 50 pounds) departing from Fort Launderdale, after my cruise, and there was a surcharge fee applied - US$25. Funny, there was no problem departing from Canada and I know I didn't buy that much

It was from all the great food on the cruise...even your clothes gained weight. :D

The limits and overweight fees vary by airline and flight class. We are flying continental in June and get 2 50lb bags each in coach class. First class gets 2 70lb bags. The surcharge in coach for bags over 50lb but less than 70lb is $25.

We're flying coach to Vancouver...and first class back (gotta love those FF points). I guess I'll have to pack carefully one way.....

I echo the previous posters -- check specifically with your airline. The limits and the overage fees differ from line to line and also differ from domestic travel to international travel, as well as from coach to first class.

the magellan catalog (http://www.magellan.com) has a handy travel scale that wife purchased before our last cruise for less than $20. Basically a handle with a scale dial hanging from that and then a hook that you slip thru your suitcase handle and then lift the whole thing. Pretty accurate.

We would stand on the scale at home previously and then have the other hand us a suitcase, but this is so much easier and there were no scales in the rooms onboard so always guessing on the way home..This packs right in the suitcase and goes with us.

Thanks Everyone. I did check SAS airlines, and for "Economy Class" (I guess that's me because I'm not going first-class), the weight limit is 50 lbs. To those of you who have suggested two bags: Do you mean that one person could take two bags with a combined weight of 100 lbs.? Interesting, but I don't plan to do this (I can also bring "cabin baggage," which I assume to mean a carry-on, weighing 18 lbs. or less). Oh my poor arms! I attempted to weigh my empty suitcase, and it seems to be in the vicinity of 10 lbs. Does this sound right? The scale itself is accurate. I first weighed the suitcase as best I could, and then I got on the scale myself holding the suitcase; in both instances, it showed 10 lbs. This means I can bring 40 lbs. of clothing? If I end up paying a $25 surcharge, asi es la vida -- I'm on vacation! thanks so much. ML:confused:

The 50 pounds is per bag, not for the total, so you can bring 100 pounds of those things you absolutely need to have and that's assuming you're limited to 2 checked bags. For instance, Southwest Airlines still allows 3 checked bags per person with the 50 pound limit so that's 150 pounds!!! Our biggest adventure was two years ago when we were able to drive to Galveston, Texas for a 12-day cruise. Wife realized there was no limit......and she took it to heart. :eek: The way we check baggage at home now is that we load the bag and then I hold it while on the scale. We subtract my weight and get close enough that we've never been over....close but not over.

Last summer we had 70 pounds in the large duffel, which held flippers, masks, vests and other snorkeling equipment, as well as other stuff. We also had 3 other bags which each weighed about 35 lbs. each. So I stood there in line, opened all the bags, and started transferring snorkels and towels and what not from one bag to the other. No way I was paying those airline people another nickel.

Good for you!! I have a bit of a back problem that I don't want to exacerbate, and I find the luggage hassle to be the ONLY negative aspect of a trip. I'm determined to take only 1 suitcase (I believe it is a 28-incher) plus a carry-on. On re-reading the SAS information, I'm now confused -- it just may be a 44-lb. limit. In any event, I'll get it straightened out tomorrow when we meet with the TA, get our documents, and pose our questions!! Thanks for all your enlightening replies! ML:confused:

We recently flew to Osaka, via Vancouver, BC, on Air Canada, for a Statendam cruise. The baggage limit for flights to China, Japan, Brazil, HK, and a couple other Far East points was 70# per bag--2 bags pp. !st class might have been 3. All this info was on the AC web site. 2 pcs. of carryon luggage was also allowed.

The large, wheeled suitcases, while being easy to manuver around, do weigh more, due to the wheeles. I usually fold a bag inside my suitcase, that could be checked, in case I "over-shop." My bag, going, was under 60 # and returning, I checked two, and carried breakables in a carryon. My husband's bag is always lighter, even with a tux, etc. in it. Although, this time he took his tux in a separate American Tourister folding garment bag, which was checkable, on the way home. hmh

The weight limit is annoying, and if one must go over one CAN by paying the overage charge of $25. Be CAREFUL to not have luggage that is too large ... for the fee for oversized luggage is MORE than for over-weight luggage.

When leaving from DFW I've never had an over-weight charge applied, but I have when leaving from Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando. Not from San Diego.

Here are American Airlines' Rules:

The size limitation of your luggage is calculated by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, that is, length + width + height.
  • Two checked bags at 62 in/157 cm each
  • One carry-on bag at 45 in/114 cm

The maximum weight per checked bag is 50 lbs/23 kgs.

The maximum weight per carry-on bag is 40 lbs/18 kgs.

Excess, Oversize and Overweight Baggage and Fees We realize that at times it may be necessary to travel with an item that exceeds the size or weight limitations or is in excess of the free allowance. Additional charges apply to this type of baggage.

Baggage connecting to other airlines will also be subject to the connecting airline's excess charges and/or oversize, overweight charges in addition to American Airlines charges.

All charges are calculated on a one-way basis and are collected at the airport ticket counter.

The following information for excess baggage applies to flights within the United States and Puerto Rico. For excess baggage information for all other destinations, please contact an American Airlines representative.

Excess Baggage

Checked baggage in excess of the free baggage allowance will be charged as follows:

• $80 per piece for the first three additional pieces
  • $105 per piece for the fourth, fifth, and sixth additional pieces
  • $180 per piece for the seventh and any additional pieces

Overweight Baggage

• For travel within the 50 United States and between the 50 United States and Canada, checked baggage weighing over 50 lbs/23 kgs but not more than 70 lbs/32 kgs will be charged at the rate of $25 per piece.
  • For travel within the 50 United States and between the 50 United States and Canada, checked baggage weighing over 70lbs/32 kgs but not more than 100 lbs/45 kgs will be charged at the rate of $50 per piece.
  • For tickets issued on and after March 1, 2005, for travel to all American Airlines destinations, (excluding international) checked baggage weighing over 50 lbs/23 kgs but not more than 70 lbs/32 kgs will be charged at the rate of $25 per piece. Any such bags will also be identified with a special tag to alert handlers.
  • For overweight baggage information for all other destinations, please contact an American Airlines representative.
  • These charges are in addition to any charge assessed for additional or oversized baggage.
  • Baggage weighing more than 100 lbs/45 kgs will not be accepted as checked baggage.

Oversized Baggage

• Checked baggage which is larger than American Airlines stated size limits will be charged at the rate of $80 per piece.
  • These charges are in addition to any charge assessed for additional or overweight baggage.
  • Baggage measuring more than 115 in/292 cm (total outside dimensions; length + width + height) will not be accepted as checked baggage.

Oversized and Overweight Baggage

• The charge for oversized baggage and the charge for overweight baggage will be added together.

Hope this helps!

No matter where we cruise, I always take 4 bags - 2 per person. I have computer lists of what goes into each one so I already know my weight limit for each one.

If I were traveling alone, I don't think I would ever risk taking just one suitcase, especially overseas. What if your suitcase is lost?

Thanks everyone. I'm beginning to think it's more trouble than it's worth! (Not really.) I haven't measured the dimensions of my suitcase yet but plan to do so today -- I believe it is referred to as a 28-incher. My travel buddy's is larger, and this is of concern to me but all I can do is pass along the information. I did order a large duffle bag from LL Bean this morning which fits the dimensions specified by SAS Air and is large enough to pack emergency clothes as well as the other stuff usually stored in a carry-on.

I foolishly believed I had "thought of everything," but thanks to all you great folks on these boards, I've learned a few new vital things! Your help is much appreciated! ML:D

Hi Again,

I just measured my suitcase, and the dimensions add up to 56 inches, including the wheels. As the SAS limit is 62 inches, I'm within "the zone." There is no question of my taking an additional suitcase, as my physical condition precludes this. Ditto for a suitcase without wheels. I believe I can deal with the 44-lb. weight limit somehow. I appreciate the suggestion regarding taking extra clothes, especially black slacks, in case my luggage gets lost. I don't expect this to happen, but then I suppose nobody does! ML:D

Years ago we were able to buy American Tourister carry-ons which weigh 2 1/2 pounds each, are on wheels, and can be used as a back pack. Unfortunately they no longer make them.

Better have your friend measure her suitcase for the total dimentions. And remind her that the suitcase has to be able to fit under the bed for storage.

Thanks. I am pleased with the description of the LLBean duffle bag -- they've never failed me, and the dimensions are within the specified limits. (But I also love my American Tourister luggage.) Yes, I have already sent the information to my friend and am hoping that she'll take two smaller suitcases, as the price for oversize is even more than that for overweight. I am so thankful I got onto these boards and this thread -- one less thing to provoke anxiety! ML

Looking forward to hear about your Gems of the Baltic cruise. Am planning on taking the same one next year. :D Let me know about the temperatures as I've heard the same about a vast range of highs and lows in the summertime.:eek:

Archived