Cozumel or Costa Maya?

habby

Trying to decide on cruise for next spring. Narrowed down to two. Both do Grand Caymen and Ocho Rios. One does Cozumel and the other Costa Maya. Anybody with pros/cons on either or both?

I just got back from a cruise that went to both ports. It really depends on what you want to do. The hurricane damage in Cozumel is still very apparent. I went horseback riding in Cozumel so I didn't see the downtown area. The ride was great and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested. This is the largest ranch in Cozumel located down by Punta Sur. If you go to Cozumel, I would suggest doing an excursion unless you like shopping.

If you want a beach day, go to Costa Maya and go to the Cat's Meow at Muhawal (hoped I spelled it correctly). You can rent a lounge chair on the beach for $5 for the entire day. A beer cost $2, a soda $1 and you will get free nachos and salsa all day. The bar and facilities are very clean. It's about a five minute cab ride from the port, $3 cab ride per person both ways. The Cat's Meow is right where the taxi will drop you off. At the ship terminal do not let the locals talk you into purchasing a round trip cab fare. They will over-charge you. There will be plenty of cabs at the beach waiting to take people back to the port.

I hope this was helpful.

Comparing Cozumel to Costa Maya is like comparing LA to Needles or, if you are on the east coast, NYC to Montouk. There is anything and everything to do in Coz. It is hustle and bustle with taxis going to and fro and tourist hurrying to do 5 different things in 6 hours. Costa Maya is more laid back with fewer ships and less to do. If you want to relax and take it slow, Costa is your place. Don't get me wrong. Coz can be relaxing also, but you have to reseach it a little more to find the right combination to get away from the crowds. Ask questions here on the boards and google, baby google. Both destinations can be an absolute ball.

TRY A SNORKEL TRIP OUT TO STINGRAY CITY PRIVATELY, NOT THROUGH THE SHIP AS IT WILL BE TOO CROWDED WHEN YOU GET INTO THE WATER ON THE SANDBAR.

MANY PEOPLE ON ANY OF THE CRUISES i'VE GONE ON SAY COSTA MAYA IS TO TOURISTY.

COZUMEL WAS AWSOME, YOU CAN PAY A TAXI 10.00 TO TAKE YOU TO A BEACH WITH A BAR, AND GREAT ACCESS TO SNORKEL IF THAT'S YOUR THING, THE BEACH ALSO HAD PLATFORMS TO SUN ON THAT ARE LIKE MATRESSESS ON THE BEACH AS WELL AS TABLES AND UMBRELLA/GLASS BOTTOM KAYAKS AND BAR SERVICE. HOPE THIS HELPS

Archived