Just returned from the Freedom!

Just remember - you can't please everybody. I'm sure that the motion wasn't as bad for some people - I like motion, myself, as does my husband. They better not sail in Hurricane season. :)

Peggy, Norwood MA

Just remember - you can't please everybody. I'm sure that the motion wasn't as bad for some people - I like motion, myself, as does my husband. They better not sail in Hurricane season. :)

Peggy, Norwood MA

I agree--we took both sets of parents(in their late 60's to mid 70's), and they never slept better in their life! We are taking them again in July on Freedom and I don't anticipate any problems.

I

I also doubt very much she was rushed into production. Cruise ships are planned well in advance, and many, many computer models are run to determine the best hull length, width, design, and height to best achieve fuel savings, speed, and stability. You don't spend almost a billion dollars on a ship and discover later she is top heavy, especially when you have five near identical sister ships already sailing to gain best practices from.

To be honest, this is the first I've heard from anyone about FREEDOM moving more than any other ship. My guess is it's the person and not the ship. Also, it's pretty hard to determine if one ship moves more than another unless you can simulate the exact same sea conditions.

Ernie

Hi Ernie!

Barnismom from the other thread. I have only been sea sick once on a cruise ship and that was on my very first.

I did a dumb thing by starving myself since I knew lobster was on the menu for dinner. Then pre-dinner had a drink of the day in a commemorative glass...so with the first bite of dinner I was sea sick. I did come back strong at Midnight Buffet.

I will have an open mind and reserve judgment until June 4th.

Janice

Just got off of FOS on Sunday! WOW!! There is so much to do on this ship and it was wonderful. As for the motion issue, I personally did not think that this ship moved any different from any other ship I've been on recently. It's a ship.....on an ocean....it moves....ALL SHIPS DO.....but no more than normal. There were a few times when we were turning that the waves hit a little different and we had a bit more motion but then soon enough it would be back to normal. And we were a bit forward in cabin 8550.

SO! Don't worry! Do NOT pack all the drugs you can find for motion sickness! It's all good!! GO back to looking forward to your upcoming sailings, you will have a wonderful time and no need to panic about movement!

Sure seems like people are a bit critical if someone says they were seasick. I was on the FOS this past weekend. I was very seasick. I happened to notice after I had spent time in the stateroom bathroom that the ship had just made it's turn around to head back from the seas near New York to the Boston harbor. I loved the ship, the service (well except the rude guy working at Ben and Jerry's... chalk it up to having a bad day), the opportunity that Royal Caribbean offered us this trip, and on and on. I am very grateful to have experienced this ship.

No, not critical, just offering up an opinion. I also addressed the fact that we did hit a small section of waves when we turned even though it was gradual. My husband as well as our table mates noted at dinner Saturday night that it wasn't even so much that the ship moved a lot, it was that the pattern of the waves was not consistant. Perhaps this added to the discomfort and sickness of some?

Yes I agree with you DNCButler on the waves. I have been part of the crew on small sailing races on Lake Huron, and the worst part for sickness is sloshing around in starting position but waiting for the race to begin with inconsistent waves all about. I think it would be inappropriate to guess that the FOS will be a ship with or without issues regarding seasickness with these experiences pre-inaugural season from different ports and question as to stabilizers on or off. I would recommend taking medicine or ginger aboard to be prepared, although the ship's medical facility can help you too. The ship is magnificent!

LMAO!!! After reading some of the earlier posts about how much this ship moved, I packed the ginger root and meclizine and was prepared!!! I didn't use any of it.

Oh and you just got me queezy thinking about sitting in a boat and the waves hitting front, side and aft all at what seemed to be at the same time!!

I'm thinking that once it gets out to normal sailings it will be better too. Not a lot of going out turning around and heading back like we did.

Archived