HAL ships Alaska inside passage reality

TAMU Dad

Considering HAL ships Ryndam, Zaandam or Zuiderdam for cruising to Alaska in Aug/Sept 2007. Do they really cruise both directions (north and south routes) in the so called Inside passage with sceanery on both sides of ship pretty much 100% of the 7 day round trip from Seatle? This is what HAL tells me. Anyone out their been on these ships on their 7 days cruises to Glacier bay and can report?

Gary

As far as I know, all "Glacier Bay Inside Passage" cruises are R/T Vancouver, not Seattle. The "Alaska Explorer" cruises which sail R/T from Seattle all cruise west of Vancouver Island - they do sail the Alaska inside passage, but not the channel betwen Vancouver Island and the rest of British Columbia. This map might help.

im_ak06_AEG007.jpg

-dave

Longhorn dad :rolleyes:

HAL has 3 basic Alaska itineraries on the 7 day run:

The roundtrip from Vancouver,

The roundtrip from Seattle

One way North / South Vancouver to Seward (or reverse). This is great to do back 2 back for 14 days!

Although they share similar ports, the scenic cruising can vary dramatically. I have done all 3 and will share my observation & opinions.

Vancouver r/t has the most inside passage & cruising. A good majority of this itinerary is sheltered. However, it is mostly a 'green' cruise. The inside passage is mostly hemlock & spruce forests. Glacier Bay will be the primary ice / glacier views aside from port tours.

Seattle r/t is primarily offshore cruising outside of Vancouver Island. Aside from daylight cruising into / out of Juneau & Ketchikan, very little of inside passage was seen in daylight. Similar to Vancouver r/t sailings, Hubbard Glacier (or Glacier Bay) will be the ice views.

One Way North / South Gulf of Alaska mixes both. You have Inside passage 1st day northbound, and last day southbound from / to Vancouver. North of Glacier Bay (or Hubbard Glacier) you sail open waters (Gulf of Alaska) but in view of the coast to see the Fairweather range (when weather allows). The scenery, mountains and glacier tops are more dramatic heading further north. Also, sailing College Fjord is on this itinerary which adds more tidewater glacier views.

My opinion is Seattle trips offer the ports and a glacier view (usually Hubbard), as a 'sampler'. Vancouver r/t offers the same (with Glacier Bay instead) and more Inside Passage views. The North / South intineries offer the broadest scope.

I like to sail Northward as the scenery increases dramatically. However, being that I usually fly out the day of debarkation, ending in Vancouver gets me home more conveniantly. My favorite run was on Prinsendam a few years back, 14 days from San Francisco!

Hope this helps with your tastes, needs.

Archived