Playa Uvas

rscima

We just returned from our cruise and stayed at Uvas on Jul 27, 2007. It was beautiful- best day of the cruise! The food was great (get the fish!), especially the guacamole! We got the open bar and kayak ticket with lunch and it was delightful! The snorkeling is nice here- not TONS of fish, but the ones there are beautiful (giant angel fish!). There are several cool places to check out underwater (where more fish like to hideout)-- make sure you see the underwater freshwater cave/spring-- it's very refreshing and fun to visit! We rented a beach bed and it was heaven-- just be sure NOT to get one of them right in the center because all the excursion folks queue up there and pretty soon they are all dumping their stuff and sitting on the bed you rented! They moved with polite request, though. Margaritas were better than expected! Can't wait to go back!

Thanks a lot for the photos, I loved them! We're thinking of going back to Cozumel in November, or December; not sure yet if we're cruising or flying. My hubby wants to be there a week to take the scuba-diving certification there at UVAS, and it takes 3 days. We've contacted Eduardo and he gave us all the info, so, in no time at all we'll be there again! Can't wait! :D

Cheers!

Artseeker

That place looks nice!

I can't wait I'll be there in about 20 days!! I'm so excited!!! :)

And of course I'll be back for a 10 day stay in Playa del Carmen, and I'll be there at Playa Uvas to get married in December!! :)

artseeker, if ya decide to be there early december you can witness me and my df gettin married!!

Did you have to reserve your tickets for the kayak and beach bar pass in advance, or can you just take a taxi to Playa Uvas and purchase the tickets once you arrive?

THANK YOU!

You don't HAVE to reserve in advance...but I highly recommend that you do.

Playa Uvas limits the number of tours daily, so that their facility remains uncrowded and that plenty of guides are available.

By reserving in advance you are guaranteed a spot on the tour of your choice. If you don't reserve, you may be unable to take the tour you want because space may be filled.

My hubby and I just came back from our honeymoon cruise. Our Royal Caribbean cruise made a stop in Cozumel. Playa Uvas was WONDERFUL!!! We definitely made our reservations ahead of time. EVERYBODY there is so nice and friendly. You can lay out all day if you want, or go snorkeling (like we did) or do any other activity. They play music all day, and have their restaurant right there. They also have a souvenir shop. So you don't need to go anywhere else if you don't want to. To anyone going: have a great time!! You will absolutely love it. :p

STIR: I don't know what eduardo's opinion would be, but based on the photos, I like the beach house, and spend a week there would be great, and with my husband scuba diving, I could enjoy those three days of his certification course getting a delicious massage from Luz, enjoying the hammocks with a good book, and a line of margaritas..:D .. LOL

LADY IN TX: What is your wedding date? It will really depend on my husband's job, but..... maybe, just maybe, we could acommodate the week in such a way that we could be at your wedding, and that way while he scubadives, and on top of enjoying the massage, the hammock, the book, and the margaritas, I could get to meet you on a very special day as your wedding.

Artseeker

l

You're welcome, Artseeker. When do you get to go back again?

I was really happy to see that they have done away with the cheesy dancing waiters that they tried out in March. Not necessary!

I'm happy to see them reverting back to the upscale, Euro feel that they had when I first found them. New umbrellas, more teak loungers, and the new top on the restaurant have really brought Uvas back to it's original and unique look.

The new all white umbrellas look very nice, and the hammock area is gorgeous. I think they need to add another hammock area up in the lounge area by the pool and maybe another down on the beach. It looks so pretty with the canopy overhead. A lovely place to spend some time with a good book...or with eyes closed.

The shrimp cerviche was fabulous and almost more than I could eat! Very fresh pico de gallo and shrimp. My friend loved the grilled garlic butter shrimp, with rice and steamed veggies. She was kinda stingy with the "taste" she allowed me to try.

As usual, Luz was magical. She's taken some additional classes and has a few new tricks up her sleeve. The other two massage ladies now employed were very nice, but I didn't avail myself of their services. I guess next time I need to give them a try...but still have my usual session with Luz, too...all in the interests of good reporting! :D

STIR: I don't know what eduardo's opinion would be, but based on the photos, I like the beach house, and spend a week there would be great, and with my husband scuba diving, I could enjoy those three days of his certification course getting a delicious massage from Luz, enjoying the hammocks with a good book, and a line of margaritas..:D .. LOL

LADY IN TX: What is your wedding date? It will really depend on my husband's job, but..... maybe, just maybe, we could acommodate the week in such a way that we could be at your wedding, and that way while he scubadives, and on top of enjoying the massage, the hammock, the book, and the margaritas, I could get to meet you on a very special day as your wedding.

Artseeker

l

I'd crash that wedding if I could. :p:eek: I have so much going on here at home in December that I can't get away.

I have scheduled a cruise for January 7, 2008, though.

PS...I'm trying to get a CC group cruise set up for September 2008 on the Ec-Stir-sy. Let me know if any of you are interested!

:D Originally Posted by artseeker viewpost.gif

PS...I'm trying to get a CC group cruise set up for September 2008 on the Ec-Stir-sy. Let me know if any of you are interested!

The wedding date is Dec. 1st. We're staying in Playa del Carmen for 10 days. We rented a condo instead of a hotel..Better price! Would love to meet you!

I like the way you wrote Ec-STIR-SY!! LOVE IT!!!:D

It's so cool that you will be at Playa del Carmen; I'm envious. We haven't been there, but everybody recommends it. Maybe when we go to Cozumel, we can get on the ferry and cross one night to go to dinner, see the famous 5th Avenue and check out the shops. Too bad you're marrying the 1st. of December -well, for us anyway, as we definitely cannot be at your wedding; our trip is from the 18 thru the 24 of November...... We do wish you, and your fiancee the best, hope you have an amazing time, and maybe one day we'll meet up there.

Artseeker

Me and my husband went to Playa Uvas on our 2nd honeymoon. We were staying in Playa and took the ferry to Cozumel. We didn't go to Cozumel the last time we stayed in Playa, so I looked up some beaches on the internet to go to and the main attraction was the clear kayaks at playa Uvas.

After reserving our excursion on the internet, I received a quick confirmation through email and everything was set up when we arrived. We purchased the all inclusive package so we received lunch and drinks all day and went snorkling and kayaking.

We had much more fun snorkling than kayaking. Make sure when you kayak to not get much water in it otherwise you won't be able to see below very well. We didn't see much fish when we went kayaking, but snorkling we were able to. Also, our guide, Laura was awesome and was so nice. She knew all the right spots to find the fish. They also offered massages and had beds near the water you could use for a fee. My husband layed in one of the hammocks while I layed out on one of the lounge chairs.

The only negatives about it, was the beach wasn't very big and there are a lot of rocks. This place is more of a snorkling beach than swimming. They did have floaters, so I was able to lay on one in the water near the beach. Another negative was that tips were not included and we didn't know that we had to tip the guide and server. We thought everything was all-inclusive. Although we didn't mind tipping, we barely had enough for our cab ride back to the ferry.

All in all, we had an amazing time. It's a very private beach and it was the most fun we had on our entire vacation. It was very relaxing and they were on top of everything. Friendly staff. I would definetly recommend going to Playa Uvas.

I always carry some small bills for tipping. Sometimes venues don't have much change in American dollars!

I usually tip the waiter $5, the guide $5, and Luz a percentage of whichever massage I choose, usually $10 or so.

Sometimes I travel with a largish group of family members, and then I tip the waiter a percentage of the bill for the whole group.

It's so cool that you will be at Playa del Carmen; I'm envious. We haven't been there, but everybody recommends it. Maybe when we go to Cozumel, we can get on the ferry and cross one night to go to dinner, see the famous 5th Avenue and check out the shops. Too bad you're marrying the 1st. of December -well, for us anyway, as we definitely cannot be at your wedding; our trip is from the 18 thru the 24 of November...... We do wish you, and your fiancee the best, hope you have an amazing time, and maybe one day we'll meet up there.

Artseeker

Thanks artseeker!

Hopefully ya'll will have a good time.

With Dean wanting to come to Yucatan and Cozumel I'm not sure if the ship will stop there...Stir what's your opinion on this..(I figure I would ask since you've been on the Ecstacy several times) Anywho, hopefully we will stop in Cozumel and I will be able to spend my day at Playa Uvas... keeping my fingers crossed for the best!!!:D

I don't have a clue what they will do with ya'll...but I wish you the best of luck!

I'm anxious to hear what finally happens with your cruise. You know they will keep you safe, but where they'll take you is only a guess.

Maybe they could hug the coastline and take ya'll to Tampa or maybe Key West?

I'm hoping that our friends at Uvas are ready for what may come. Eduardo says that the lines for gasoline are already 4 blocks long...but he has plenty of food and two books to read. He'll stay so that he can begin recovery if necessary.

They put Uvas together so quickly after Wilma that it almost looked odd...an oasis of green with soaring white canopies amongst the destruction and devastation of Cozumel. All of them worked so hard.

God bless and keep watch over them all...

Went to carnival's website and this is what it says:

Carnival Ecstasy August 20 departure – The ship will visit Cozumel as scheduled, but the call in Progreso will be cancelled.

We are still going to Cozumel as scheduled...

I would love to still visit Cozumel and see Playa Uvas, but I still have no idea what Cozumel will look like after Dean passes by.

Either way, I'll try to keep ya'll posted.

Listen, my friends at Uvas, Eduardo, Luz, etc., be strong; you've been through this before and have come back swinging, so please, just hang in there! In the aftermath, we all need to help, just like we did with Katrina, and rebuild as soon as possible, so nature can be back at peace. Really, if needed, I'll be there! Good luck!

the latest update seems to show Cozumel barely in the cone of uncertainty...with Dean going into the Yucatan at El Placer, a relatively unpopulated area.

Let's pray for that!

If it changes again, and you need us...put out the call, Eduardo! I have new seasonings to bring!