Ketchikan Zipline Excursion

chowderbsk

Greetings,

I will be in Ketchikan the first week of June, and am thinking about doing the Canopy Adventure and Wildlife Exploration excursion which includes ziplines and rope bridges, etc. I am hoping to hear from anyone who has done these types of excursions, and what I might expect. What should I plan on wearing?

Many thanks for any replies!

I will be booking this through Celebrity Shore Excursions, BTW.

Best,

Brian

Greetings,

I will be in Ketchikan the first week of June, and am thinking about doing the Canopy Adventure and Wildlife Exploration excursion which includes ziplines and rope bridges, etc. I am hoping to hear from anyone who has done these types of excursions, and what I might expect. What should I plan on wearing?

Many thanks for any replies!

I will be booking this through Celebrity Shore Excursions, BTW.

Best,

Brian

Brian,

We have booked the Canopy Adventure through HAL for our cruise the first week of June.

I was unable to find out how to book directly, so opted for booking through the cruise line. The information provided by HAL said to wear closed-toe shoes and layered,comfortable clothing. Rain gear would be provided at the tour site, if necessary.

From what I understand, this tour was brand new last year and opened after the start of the cruise season.

From the description given by the cruise line, there is a weight limit of 250 pounds and you should be in fairly good condition because of the ramps and stairs that you climb to get to the first platform.

Hope this helps, have a great trip.

Sam

Thanks Sam and wa.mama!!!

Wow, wa.mama, now I am REALLY excited to do this excursion. Beautiful scenery! Is that you in that photo? Do you have any other shots? Thanks for posting!

Best,

Brian

Ok, I need to know more! We are booked for this excursion and I can feel the hair on the back of my neck standing up already! I do have a slight fear of heights, but I will conquer it for this.

How long was the ride to get there?

Was the trek up to the ziplines very strenuous?

would it be possible to take a picture while you are "zipping"?

Did you feel secure with the harness?

Love your pictures!

This ziptrek is in whistler, british columbia. I don't know what the one in Alaska is like, but the one we tried was a blast. The kids have been on it 3 times, youngest at age 5 (had to ride tandem due to weight being too light). A van picked us up and drove a few miles up into the mountain. The hiking was mostly downhill from there, and very easy. The platforms are not hard to climb, though if you have a fear of heights don't go.

The hardest part is stepping off the platform. You are (seemingly) hundreds of feet above the canyon floor, and there is an element of free fall. You can adjust how fast you go by your body position, though if you go too slow you will not reach the other side.

Absolutely a thrill to do. I'd rate it less scary than bungee jumping, but more scary than any roller coaster ride I've been on. Have fun!

Pics = #1 shows a platform - you can step off facing front or fall off backwards

#2 shows my son, five at the time - take a look at that grin!

#3 shows my daughter, somersaulting backwards off the platform.

ZipAT.jpg.06970bea77fff0fe571b7c5b24e570e0.jpg

ZipLT.jpg.8eb4d49731bba2b883370fbc2aed2d48.jpg

zip3.jpg.490072eed020de87a2331c7c853e413d.jpg

FYI....I just thought I would share a fun link to some great short zipline video's. There are 4 of Ketchikan, and you get a great idea of what to expect! Add these with the pictures wa.mama shared, and I know I am going to enjoy this excursion. :D

http://www.zipdesigns.org/sample.html

Ciao for now,

Brian

San Francisco, CA

That was very helpful. Thanks for the link. I'm looking forward to doing this as well.

FYI....I just thought I would share a fun link to some great short zipline video's. There are 4 of Ketchikan, and you get a great idea of what to expect! Add these with the pictures wa.mama shared, and I know I am going to enjoy this excursion. :D

http://www.zipdesigns.org/sample.html

Ciao for now,

Brian

San Francisco, CA

• 3 weeks later...

I'm accompanying my Venture Crew to Ketchikan and we were wondering which shore excursion was better The 'Rainforest Ropes & Zipline Challenge'(This sounds like a very COPE like ropes course and includes suspension bridge, traverse a two line bridge, inch across a postman's walk, cross a swinging log and walk up a Burma bridge,zipline and optional climbing wall)

or

the 'Canopy Adventure & Wildlife Expedition' (featuring 7 ziplines and 3 aerial bridges and an optional 50' rappel at the end).

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Does anyone know what you can carry with you during the excursion? I want to bring a camera and take pictures from the platforms in between zips, can you wear a backpack while crossing the cables?

Thanks for your advice.

Does anyone know what you can carry with you during the excursion? I want to bring a camera and take pictures from the platforms in between zips, can you wear a backpack while crossing the cables?

Thanks for your advice.

U possibly could wear a small one.. Mrscat took her camera.. they supplied a jacket with zip pockets.. so she took some from the platform.. then put the camera in her pocket.. zipped away she did.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so i am a total chicken, age 58 with a badish back

terrified of heights but am so interested in doing this

has anyone come back from this alive and can tell about it

do you really have to be in great shape or is ok shape alright

my dh jogs 4 miles a day and i do weights

help us decide

he doesn't have a clue i am even thinking abou this one

hi. :) i found this thread quite useful in answering my questions. i'm gonna do it. good luck with your decision. :) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=360737

ok so i am a total chicken, age 58 with a badish back

terrified of heights but am so interested in doing this

has anyone come back from this alive and can tell about it

do you really have to be in great shape or is ok shape alright

my dh jogs 4 miles a day and i do weights

help us decide

he doesn't have a clue i am even thinking abou this one

Archived