Ketichikan Duck Tour or Trolley ride?

minniemom

We are first time Alaska cruisers here, We don't want to do any of the expensive tours this trip. However, we want an overview of all of the stops. So Ketchikan, has the Duck tours, or the Horsedrawn trolley? Has anyone done either? We just requested some visitors guides from Sitka, Juneau, and Ketchikan, so hopefully those will help. But we wondered if anyone had done either of those tours? And if so which was best?

we went on the duck & had a very informative tour. the guide was better than the tour. he gave us so many insights to life there. it's very different. after the duck u can walk around the stores. trinkets were very inexpensive there. we also had good coupons for hats & tshirts. wish i had bought 10 sleep masks. they were only $1.98 & very nice.

We too went on the duck tour just last week. In my opinion if you do this one as you enter the "duck" sit on the right-hand side, not behind the driver. The reason is that you will get better pictures. Our duck wasn't full so we could go to the back and get those pictures but if it would have been full we could not have leaned over others to get to the portholes. Our driver and his assistant was really funny and upbeat. We first toured the town which is very small and then went to the harbor and just went on in. There we saw many eagles, more than we had seen close the whole trip. We also were able to see the floatplanes taking off and landing which was neat. We then went back on land and they brought us back to the ship, HAL Oosterdam, which was docked downtown. By the way it did rain while we were there but it was not cold, be sure to pack an umbrella. Have a great time.

Missygirl:)

Last year we tried to book the lumbarjack show on our own and it was sold out very early for the day. We decided to walk around and then ended up booking a bus excusion for about $10 on our own. It was very imformative and the driver was wonderful. This time around however I am planning on goiing with my Mother who is semi handicapped so I am thinking of the ducktour. Did you book on your own upon arrival or thru the cruise ship and did you see any place to book only on own? I am hesitate to book early becasue if she is tired we may not do much

I am wondering, do the trolley and the duck tour, cover the same areas? Obviously, the duck goes in the water, but on ground, do they cover the same? Has anyone done both?. I was going to book it thru Celebrity.

Last year we tried to book the lumbarjack show on our own and it was sold out very early for the day. We decided to walk around and then ended up booking a bus excusion for about $10 on our own. It was very imformative and the driver was wonderful. This time around however I am planning on goiing with my Mother who is semi handicapped so I am thinking of the ducktour. Did you book on your own upon arrival or thru the cruise ship and did you see any place to book only on own? I am hesitate to book early becasue if she is tired we may not do much

buzzandjulie-I'm not sure that your mother will be able to go on this tour for you have to climb up stairs similier to a ladder. Coming down he tells you to turn around and climb back down. This may be too steep an incline for her.

Missygirl

Archived