Manhattan to Red Hook - Crown Princess

bulldogatl

I'm embarrassed but have to ask ... the cheapest/best way to get from Manhattan (Penn Station) to Red Hook is via cab? Could anyone guess how long a trip that would be or how much?? Trying to plan a cruise out of NYC and finding the pre cruise/transportation/etc is gonna cost more than the cruise itself! YIKES!!!

I'm embarrassed but have to ask ... the cheapest/best way to get from Manhattan (Penn Station) to Red Hook is via cab? Could anyone guess how long a trip that would be or how much?? Trying to plan a cruise out of NYC and finding the pre cruise/transportation/etc is gonna cost more than the cruise itself! YIKES!!!

I really don't understand why you would say this. Cabs in New York are amoung the cheapest in the US and clearly less than most major European capitals.

The cab ride is about 6 miles. It should be about $20.00 plus toll and tip, so it would be about $30.00 and that is not person its per cab(the toll is $4.00)...the fast ride is west to the west street and then south to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel First exit Hamilton Avenue and then follow the signs. Its 20 minutes with no traffic.

If you order a limo expect to pay twice that. Unless you got a comp on the cruise fare it surely isn't more.

I appreciate the info and printed it out. Although I mistakenly said Penn Station rather than Grand Central Station. The reason I was amazed with the prices ... my cruise is just 599. The rooms in NYC are about 300 a night. So with a a two night stay, the cost of the visiting NYC is gonna be more than the cruise itself.

Thanks for the info.

I appreciate the info and printed it out. Although I mistakenly said Penn Station rather than Grand Central Station. The reason I was amazed with the prices ... my cruise is just 599. The rooms in NYC are about 300 a night. So with a a two night stay, the cost of the visiting NYC is gonna be more than the cruise itself.

Thanks for the info.

The ADR (Average Daily Rate) for a hotel room in Manhattan in 2005 was over $240 per night so yes, hotels are expensive.

Look at it this way, the two nights in Manhattan are an excellent accompaniment to your cruise.

The ADR (Average Daily Rate) for a hotel room in Manhattan in 2005 was over $240 per night so yes, hotels are expensive.

Look at it this way, the two nights in Manhattan are an excellent accompaniment to your cruise.

But again NY is way far from being the high cost capital of the world. NY has become very popular and the rooms are full. One reason is there are less hotel rooms because many have been converted to condos. Real Estate prices are so high that new hotels in Manhattan are very few and when they do open they tend to be high end. I think hotels in SF are higher.....but not by much. Thr cab far from Grand Central should be about the same but you should take the East SIde Highway(FDR) to the Brooklyn Bridge go straight ahead( do not take the first exit) to Atlantic Avenue(about 6 lights) a right on atlantic avenue to the end make a left. Make the first right and follow that around to the signs that say to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal) no toll this time but there will be a wait to get on the BB from The FDR. Non rush hour 20 minutes. Rush hour up to 40 minutes or so(if the cab driver says he knows a better way to the Brooklyn Bridge let him take it- there are a number of alternatives that can save you time waiting for the Brooklyn Bridge but I won't describe them because for the most part they are longer and complicated)

LOL, maybe not way far!

NYC is a very popular place and occupancy levels have exceeded pre September 11th levels. Even with the loss of all the hotels and 2000 hotel rooms (Stanhope, Regent Wall Street, Mayflower, Gramercy Park, Wyndham, The Plaza, etc) other hotels have opened easing the tight squeeze.

Regardless, it is my favorite city in the world!

Archived