Why is Carnival Destiny dropping Aruba?

mdxter

Amigoe: [local Aruban newspaper] May 9, 2006: Carnival takes Aruba off their list of destinations

ARUBA – Cruise Company Carnival takes Aruba off her 7-day ‘South Caribbean’ journeys. Curacao or Bonaire will not replace Aruba. Barbados is the most southern destination of the popular Carnival in the Caribbean.

Carnival Cruise Lines starts a new 7-day cruise with 5 destinations in January 2007. The ship Destiny that leaves from San Juan Puerto Rico currently stops in St. Lucia, Antigua, Dominica, Barbados and – back to the north – St. Thomas. Up till now, after leaving Puerto Rico, the ship calls on 4 islands, St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados and Aruba.

Spokesperson Vance Gulliksen says that the decision to take Aruba off the list of destinations is to save on fuel costs, because the ABC-islands are quiet a bit more to the south and also because after five years, Carnival wants to renew this route. “By not calling on Aruba, we can add two extra destinations and save on fuel.

From Travelweekly.com,

Carnival spokesman Vance Gulliksen said the decision to eliminate Aruba from the itinerary is part of a fuel-saving initiative as well as a way to freshen up the ship’s itinerary, which has remained the same for five years. “New itinerary options that enable Carnival to operate our ships more fuel-efficiently has become an increasingly important focus,” Gulliksen said.

If you listen to some online blogs created after the disappearance of Holloway, they state emphatically the above is a politically correct way of Carnival getting Aruba off their schedule instead of stating directly that they will begin boycotting Aruba.

I personally do not believe that Carnival's change has the slightest to do with Natalie Holloway. Many Americans have been killed or kidnapped in Caribbean destinations and those ports of call haven't been dropped. Aruba is by far the safest island there is statistic wise. I wish Natalie had been cruising Carnival to Aruba, she'd still be alive and well had she boarded the ship with all her friends at 10:30pm.

Carnival has made a budget saving decision that allows the cruiselines to still offer their extremely value oriented pricing to it's customers.

I guess that makes sense with the fuel cost savings. But Carnival could have passed the extra fuel costs to the passengers. I would not have minded.

I really don't think that the Natalie situation has anything to do with the ship not stopping there anymore.

I was really hoping to visit Aruba next year. Oh well, I would now have to go with Royal Caribbean if I want to visit Aruba.

Thanks for info.

I personally do not believe that Carnival's change has the slightest to do with Natalie Holloway. Many Americans have been killed or kidnapped in Caribbean destinations and those ports of call haven't been dropped. Aruba is by far the safest island there is statistic wise. I wish Natalie had been cruising Carnival to Aruba, she'd still be alive and well had she boarded the ship with all her friends at 10:30pm.

Carnival has made a budget saving decision that allows the cruiselines to still offer their extremely value oriented pricing to it's customers.

Where did you get those statisitcs that say Aruba is by far the safest island there is statistic wise? I am writting an aritcle on Caribbean travel and would love to see these stats.

Thanks.

I am not pholter, however let's do a quick comparison of Aruba and the British Virgin Islands, the richest island in the Caribbean.

Why the BVI'S? The British Virgin Island's British Virgin Islands (http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/vi.html#Econ) with one of the highest GDP'S per capita in the world of $38,500 rank #10 in the world, (US ranks #6)

The BVI'S are even listed as a "transshipment point for South American narcotics destined for the US and Europe; large offshore financial center makes it vulnerable to money laundering". Most, if not all Caribbean countries are listed in the CIA Fact Book as having these dealings with narcotics.

The US State Dept even lists the BVI's

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1079.html as having crime :eek:

CRIME: Thefts and armed robberies do occur in the BVI. Visitors should take common-sense precautions against petty crime. Avoid carrying large amounts of cash and use hotel safety deposit facilities to safeguard valuables and travel documents. Do not leave valuables unattended on the beach or in cars. Always lock up boats when going ashore.

if you visit the US State Dept website you will see the quote for Aruba

"CRIME: The crime threat in Aruba is generally considered low although travelers should always take normal precautions when in unfamiliar surroundings. There have been incidents of theft from hotel rooms, and armed robbery has been known to occur. Valuables left unattended on beaches, in cars and in hotel lobbies are easy targets for theft.

Car theft, including that of rental vehicles for joy riding and stripping, can occur. Vehicle leases or rentals may not be fully covered by local insurance when a vehicle is stolen or damaged. Be sure you are sufficiently insured when renting vehicles and jet skis."

There is then listed in the next paragraph a warning to the parent's young travelers placed there for parent's who need to be reminded that they are parents and guardians of their children.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/aa.html Aruba's Illicit drugs are stated as "transit point for US- and Europe-bound narcotics with some accompanying money-laundering activity."

Yep, I feel pretty safe about Aruba. :)

Where did you get those statisitcs that say Aruba is by far the safest island there is statistic wise? I am writting an aritcle on Caribbean travel and would love to see these stats.

Thanks.

You might try reading Time Magazine, any newspaper article, etc. back starting when Natalie disappeared and the statistics are everywhere....One murder in a whole year sounds pretty safe to me, especially when there are probably One every 4-5 hours where I live in Houston, Texas

• 2 months later...

Carnival is saving cost on fuel, offering different ports of call, and is probably costing them less to dock in these new ports. As far as charging more for different ports of call, lets get real Carnival doesn't make money on the cost for the cruise! It's the booze, gambling, and shore excursions. We did a rough guestamit last year and low ball the figures, with just booze alone they had to take in $19,000,000. And that is a low est

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Amigoe: [local Aruban newspaper] May 9, 2006: Carnival takes Aruba off their list of destinations

ARUBA – Cruise Company Carnival takes Aruba off her 7-day ‘South Caribbean’ journeys. Curacao or Bonaire will not replace Aruba. Barbados is the most southern destination of the popular Carnival in the Caribbean.

Carnival Cruise Lines starts a new 7-day cruise with 5 destinations in January 2007. The ship Destiny that leaves from San Juan Puerto Rico currently stops in St. Lucia, Antigua, Dominica, Barbados and – back to the north – St. Thomas. Up till now, after leaving Puerto Rico, the ship calls on 4 islands, St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados and Aruba.

Spokesperson Vance Gulliksen says that the decision to take Aruba off the list of destinations is to save on fuel costs, because the ABC-islands are quiet a bit more to the south and also because after five years, Carnival wants to renew this route. “By not calling on Aruba, we can add two extra destinations and save on fuel.

From Travelweekly.com,

Carnival spokesman Vance Gulliksen said the decision to eliminate Aruba from the itinerary is part of a fuel-saving initiative as well as a way to freshen up the ship’s itinerary, which has remained the same for five years. “New itinerary options that enable Carnival to operate our ships more fuel-efficiently has become an increasingly important focus,” Gulliksen said.

If you listen to some online blogs created after the disappearance of Holloway, they state emphatically the above is a politically correct way of Carnival getting Aruba off their schedule instead of stating directly that they will begin boycotting Aruba.

I am not trying to start a firestorm here...but I think Aruba is NOT a safe island and the disppearance and probable murder of Natalee Holloway has brought out in the open the crime, drugs, and corruptions that this island has been hiding for many years. I know people personally who went to Aruba to assist in the search for Natalee Holloway. Would you want to be told by the local police to search SANCTIONED DRUG HOUSES for your missing daughter? There is so much that those who have NOT followed case do not KNOW about Aruba's criminal aspect...the rapes, thefts, drugging and rapes of young women. Aruba's tourist economy is down drastically and yes it is a direct reflection of the Natalee Holloway case.....make no mistake about that. Hotel prices have dropped dramatically, Jet BLue now has a cheap flight to Aruba.........and Crime ahs risen and is now being made public. Good for Carnival if this is their way off participating in the boycott.

You might try reading Time Magazine, any newspaper article, etc. back starting when Natalie disappeared and the statistics are everywhere....One murder in a whole year sounds pretty safe to me, especially when there are probably One every 4-5 hours where I live in Houston, Texas

I live in Houston as well....and FYI the Times article was in error and has admitted it...they didn't to their research...they took Aruba's statistics which were false.

Thanks.

Please don't take any statistics that Aruba gives you or that the ATB publishes. Below is a link to some very interesting FACTS about crimes in Aruba....it might be an asset to your article

http://www.scaredmonkeys.net/viewtopic.php?t=188

Archived