Transfers from London to Cruise Ship

I noticed that cruises leaving from London are at ports in Hartwick or Dover. These appear to be a substantial distance from Heathrow. What are the best means of getting transfers and would it be necessary to stay overnight either pre or post cruise? Dover appears to be a very long distance. Has anyone had experience witrh getting to the cruise ships after flying into London?

I noticed that cruises leaving from London are at ports in Hartwick or Dover. These appear to be a substantial distance from Heathrow. What are the best means of getting transfers and would it be necessary to stay overnight either pre or post cruise? Dover appears to be a very long distance. Has anyone had experience witrh getting to the cruise ships after flying into London?
Actually, relatively few cruises leave from London - this is one of those fraudulent things that cruise lines do to try and sell their cruises.

The main ports for large cruise ships are Southampton, Dover and Harwich. The "best" transfer arrangements to each of them depends on which airport you're flying into, which port you're travelling to, how ambulant you are, how much luggage you have and how well you can manage it, whether you're comfortable with taking public transport - and, of course, budget.

Try searches of the Britain and British Isles forums where transfers are one of the most frequently discussed topics.

We plan to stay three nights in London and chose a hotel through Celebrity, which includes transfer from London to Dover. It is expensive though, but I want it for piece of mind. I just did not want to arrange flight, transfer to Hotel, Hotel itself, transfer to Dover and cruise all separately.

London is an hour or two from Dover by bus, if I remember properly from a previous land tour. It seems to me that at least one overnight would be advisable due to time, distance and jet lag. There have been threads here that have given names, addresses and websites of people/companies that will transport you from London to Dover; perhaps they will offer assistance on this thread. Good luck with your plans. :)

Archived