Diamond Princess Cruise Director

Mike A

I was just curious as to who is currently the CD on the Diamond. While I know we do not sail until September, I figure whoever the CD is now will probably still be in September. I do believe the a CD makes a difference in a cruise. I have had the privledge of sailing with 2 of the best(IMHO) Graham Seymour on the CB and John Heald on the Jubilee (asst CD) and Carnival Triumph.

Mike, thanks for asking the question. I have also been trying to learn who the DP CD was. I'm on the 7/1 southbound so it's getting close.

Jan, thanks for sharing the answer!

-Heather

Mike, I was very impressed with the activities staff. They were everywhere, very visible; great sense of humor (esp. Emma and Kat) and always on time.

Tim was great doing the line dancing; he really kept everyone moving, was very "up" without being corny or silly.

Nick, Emma and Kat did a terrific job with Trivia; we had a blast.

CD Dan did a show every morning called "The Morning Zoo with Dan & Frankie" that was entertaining & informative; they'd bring in staff from other places (stores, bars, etc.) to tell you about their specials, etc.

They also hosted a CruiseCritic meeting, which was quite a surprise. We had a fairly active rollcall (over 30; we got together for sailaway) but very few saw the listing in the Patters, so there were only four who attended (and one of the four had never heard of CruiseCritic, and was there to find out about it.)

I'm wondering if Princess is considering offering Cruisecritic parties, like RC and Celebrity do? If so, the low turnout might have discouraged them. Btw, they provided a bottle of champagne at the gathering, which was a nice touch!

Heather, enjoy your cruise ... this is a lovely ship, with a terrific staff. As a Celebrity regular, I was wondering if Princess would compare favorably with my favorite line ... and it does. Will definitely do another Princess cruise some day!

Jan

Thanks Jan! About the naturalist - did he/she point out wildlife and/or engage the passengers?

Also, I'm curious to know if the Diamond had any delays getting into any of the ports during your cruise and whether you had long waits to get on and off the boat.

-Heather

For the 1st time on any ship I really enjoyed the cruise director and asst. The morning show is a hoot and you see them around all day and not just hawking crummy art auctions and bingo. They really interact w/passengers.

Heather,

The park rangers who came onboard for our Glacier Bay visit were very friendly and informative. They had a table set up in Skywalkers with free pamphlets, samples of furs, and a few books & CDs for sale. As we neared the glaciers, there was ongoing narration over the PA and in the cabins on the TV. However, in many public places outside the sound was too low to make out. And on the TV, when the naturalist was not speaking, there was this simply awful bubblegum pop/elevator music playing that really distracted from the experience, so we finally just turned it all off. (My only real criticism of this lovely cruise.) The glaciers were just magnificent, both there and in College Fjord.

I attended one of the naturalist's formal talks onboard, on Eagles, but missed the others; heard they were good. I enjoyed her Eagles presentation. Throughout the week, Ann did presentations on Eagles, Whales, Nomads & Empire Builders, etc.

Here are some examples of activities from the Patters:

Ketchikan, Monday:

9-11 a.m.: Ranger Station, Atrium Deck 5: Naturalists from the Ketchikan-Misty Fjord Ranger Station will have a courtesy desk during our call, featuring enticing natural items such as hides, tracks and tree branches. They will be available to answer questions and distribute educational materials about Southeast Alaska and the Tongass National Forest.

11:15 - 11:45 - Forest Service Presentation: Skins and Skullls: Join the Tongass Forest Rangers for an interactive program that is fun for all ages.

12 -12:30: Forest Service Presentation: The Tongass - A forest of Islands

3:15 - Scholarship at sea pres: Whale Tales. Join Naturalist Ann for her presentation on Orcas, Humpbacks and Belugas.

Ann also pointed out wildlife for several hours after we left Skagway, though there were only a few whales spotted, and at a great distance. Luck of the draw, I guess! (We were thrilled with the sightings on our Kenai Fjords National Park boat tour, the week after the cruise.)

Re: delays and boarding/disembarking, I believe we reached each port right on time, if not early. We had no tender ports, and no long lines to disembark. Embarkation went smoothly as well, with reasonable lines to get through customs and immigration (2 separate places).

Final disembarkation was the smoothest I've ever had. Our color was called right on time, and we stepped off the ship right onto the bus to Anchorage, parked a few yards from the gangplank. Our luggage was taken straight to the Egan Center, where we claimed it later that day after we'd rented our car. They were also kind enough to let us check coats and hand luggage at the center while we shopped. And the Princess reps at the center were just charming, offering all kinds of advice, maps, etc. I was VERY impressed with how smoothly Princess handled all the post-cruise details; no hassles whatsoever.

Hope this helps! Have a great time on your cruise!

Jan

Jan,

I too thank you for the time you took to post this wonderful information. BTW, do you know if the Dan and his staff perfomed "If I Was Not Upon A Seas" at the Crew Talent Show or Pub Night?. This has been performed on many ships over the years especially on Princess/P&O, NCL and RCCL. We saw it on the CB last January. When the CD, Graham Seymour came out as the Ballarina we laughed so hard we cried.

Mike A

Cruise Director Dan Gibbons is one of the best around........Freindly, personable and efficient - His Assist. Frankie - is also a GEM! What a 'personality'! :D

I think a good CD and staff are a real asset to any cruise and it is especially nice when they remember you from 'cruise to cruise' and say hello......it's a small gesture but very 'welcoming'.

Dan and Frankie run a great 'morning show' - It's fun to tune in first thing in the AM -their 'antics' start the day off with a 'smile' and the show is a good overview of the day's activities......

Jan,

I too thank you for the time you took to post this wonderful information. BTW, do you know if the Dan and his staff perfomed "If I Was Not Upon A Seas" at the Crew Talent Show or Pub Night?. This has been performed on many ships over the years especially on Princess/P&O, NCL and RCCL. We saw it on the CB last January. When the CD, Graham Seymour came out as the Ballarina we laughed so hard we cried.

Mike A

You're welcome, Mike & Heather, just a tiny payback for all the info I've garnered here at CC from others.

And yes, they DID perform "If I .." and it was hilarious! The other crew acts were also exceptional, and each very different from the one before. One guy ... I won't spoil it by revealing details, just look for the math teacher ... was so good he could be a professional entertainer. The audience went crazy!

Even though they re-broadcast the show on TV, it's much better in person, so I recommend you go early to get a seat! I imagine word is spreading fast!

Jan

Archived