Just Back from Pride of Hawaii June 5th

hollym

Thank you for taking the time to write & post your excellent review, Shiraz!! You have included so much great information. You mentioned that you weren't going to post it on the "Review" page, but I think it would be great there, especially after all the work you have put into it!

Hope the SAT's went well!

Since I'm already on a reply screen I'll also add something I neglected to mention about Turtle Town. We did, in fact, see sea turtles. There were some on the bottom at that location and on the way back into the harbor while we were checking out the dolphins we saw some sea turtles on the surface, right next to the boat. I swear my mind won't rest until every little detail is added. I need to wean myself off of this forum!!! LOL!!!

Truthfully, I really enjoyed the pre-trip research here and it's nice to be able to "pay it forward," if you'll excuse the cliche.

Okay, answers:

:) Did anyone comment on the Zipline tours? :eek:

Lady of the Canyon:D

I really don't know about the ziplines first hand, or even second hand from talking to anyone who had gone, BUT from a third hand :) perspective, I remember when I was doing research prior to leaving someone had said they were going to do the Princeville (Kauai) zips because there were 8 different stops. So . . . I know it's possible to do forum searches (see blue bar above, between midpoint and right) -- I'd advise you to give searching a try -- go back at least until April or May. I think it was under the "Norwegian" heading but it quite possibly could be moved to be under the "Hawaii" heading further down on the Boards page.

In my Ultimate Kauai Guidebook (which is a Revealed book -- I'm sure the authors had a great reason not to call it Kauai Revealed???) under the chapter on activities or adventures there are a lot of different options including ziplining. Even if you don't want to buy the book you could get a copy of it at the bookstore and just read the part which interests you. You'll probably get hooked & wind up buying it anyway because it's pretty detailed and they have an access code to their website to get the very latest updates.

I am so glad that we are finally hearing about the PoH in its Hawaii sail. I am on the PoH in August and anxious to learn more. I hope more veteran passengers will come here to give their impressions.

Do you have to make a reservation for the buffet eating areas? This may be a goofy question, but I am new at this.:confused:

Hi Debra. My husband, myself and daughter on the the POH on Aug 21. We have a minisuite on deck 11. Maybe we could meet somewhere.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review. It was really helpful, especially the parts about the NCL excursions. With so much to do, and everything having another price tag it is nice to get some points of view to help narrow things down from 1000 to 100 :p

I was especially happy to read a good report on your room. My DH and I sail on July 17th and we'll be in 8018, which is forward, starboard (?). On the other side of the hall from where you were I'm guessing. Very much looking forward to our balcony, I'll have to check the lunar cycles soemwhere. Although the moon, from anywhere on a cruise ship, on vacation, IN HAWAII, is gonna be nice to look at!:)

I too, saw something about the 8-Zipline tours online, and I think it is the Princeville Adventures Zip-N-Dip that had the best reviews (8 different lines, tubes, swimming, lunch, etc.). I haven't booked that yet, still have some itinerary research to do. Being a teacher, I feel like I have to totally educate myself before I go and LOL at your summation of your organization tactics. Looks like the direction I'm headed in, but seriously trying to pull back some. Maybe they can push that filing cabinet across the hall to my room?:D

Thanks again! Glad to hear all about it, was ready for a page 7, no pressure! :p

P.S. Who publishes the "Revealed" books, how much do they cost, and where is the best place to buy them?

P.S. Who publishes the "Revealed" books, how much do they cost, and where is the best place to buy them?

The Revealed books are published by Wizard Publications. You can find them anywhere from B&N, Amazon, etc. to e-bay (just look for the most recent ones!). For example, here's a link to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0971727937/sr=8-1/qid=1151364289/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3380335-4252069?ie=UTF8. Price runs around $10-14 a piece and well worth every penny imo.

Susan

I agree that PCC is fabulous and "not to be missed" if you have time to go see it. It really is a wonderful way to "see" Hawaii's history. For luaus, though, I really have to recommend Paradise Cove. Oahu Revealed did not like this one, and it's one of the few things I disagree with him on. We think Paradise Cove is the best luau on Oahu! It has fun things to do while you're waiting for dinner/show (build a lei, get a "tattoo," etc), the food was good and the setting cannot be beat!

Susan

"Revealed" books are by Wizard Publications Inc. Their website is http://www.wizardpub.com. We got ours from the travel section at Barnes & Noble but they're on Amazon, BN.com, etc. You could easily meet the free shipping requirement with these things! I can't say B & N was the best place for everyone to buy the books but I had Christmas and birthday gift cards for there, so it was a no-brainer for me!

Thanks Ga Girl and Shiraz for the Revealed books information. I'm looking for the most "bang for my buck" and the way people talk about these books, I think they are the way to go. Frommer's is very informative, but extremely lacking in pictures. I'm also going to order the Entertainment book. They are only $12.99 + $5 SH, so it will pay for itself really fast.

Thanks Ga Girl and Shiraz for the Revealed books information. I'm looking for the most "bang for my buck" and the way people talk about these books, I think they are the way to go. Frommer's is very informative, but extremely lacking in pictures.

You're welcome! And I totally agree about the pictures. The Revealed books have wonderful pictures, and besides, they are easy reads because the authors usually write pretty straightforward and throw in funny little thoughts and pretty accurate details (like--look for the third telephone pole past the driveway...). :)

Good luck!

Truthfully, I really enjoyed the pre-trip research here and it's nice to be able to "pay it forward," if you'll excuse the cliche.

Shiraz, I just have to say that your posts have been more helpful to me than any others because you included so much detail. I would guess that you very thoughtfully included things you wondered about before your trip.

I have found a shuttle company willing to pick us up after the Old Lahaina Luau at 9:00 and take us to the ship for $42. Not inexpensive, but less than a taxi would be. I am still researching, but if I don't find another company to do it for less, I'll go with this. I do not want the hassle of returning a rental late at night, even if that is possible, becasue I have the early ship excursion the next day. And maybe some others will want to share the ride with us, and that will lower the price.

Thanks again Shiraz for your willingness to answer questions.:)

You're welcome! And I totally agree about the pictures. The Revealed books have wonderful pictures, and besides, they are easy reads because the authors usually write pretty straightforward and throw in funny little thoughts and pretty accurate details (like--look for the third telephone pole past the driveway...). :)

Good luck!

Yes, and they have GREAT maps too, especially for those who plan to rent a car!! We used ours exclusively in 2003.

Hi Debra. My husband, myself and daughter on the the POH on Aug 21. We have a minisuite on deck 11. Maybe we could meet somewhere.

BBlossom,

Please be sure you come to the Roll Call forum under PoH 8/21/06. There are several of us checked in there already and wondering where the rest are! Please post about yourself there since we are going to try for a get-together.

:)

Deb & Dot, I just wrote to you on Luau Question thread!! If you get a chance stop by & read it!!! (It was higher up in the listing so I checked it already!). Thank you so much for your kind words and your positive attitude!! It will make the cruise far more enjoyable for you!

I agree that a positive attitude will make the difference!

By the way... I read somewhere in an earlier thread that there were only 2 electrical outlets in the room (our cabin was a balcony room #10524). Actually, beside the one for the coffee maker and one at the desk, there was a 3rd one in the back of the little cubby hole where the ice bucket and glasses were stored. You have to duck down to see it! Came in handy to charge a cell phone and/or ipod!

Oh, good! I saw that cubby as extra space to put the plates, cups & bowls we accrued, but didn't notice the plug. I didn't search under the desk where the hair dryer was plugged in, maybe there is an outlet there?

• 1 month later...

Hi, Sue,

We've booked "Romance" suite 10664 for New Years 2007.

Hmmm...what kind of "ash" collects on the balcony? cigar?, volcano? (preferably) or.. ugg...from the ship smoke stack? Might "damper" the romance a bit I would imagine.

How was the room service?

How did you find the beds? Full size seems a bit small.

Did you find being at the stern caused you to sense more movement (of the boat that is)?

How was the view from the balcony? Would think it would be spectacular

• 1 year later...

Hi there - I read some of your posts and saw that you were in an AC Penthouse. I am sailiing in that same category on the POH on January 21. I wondering a few things about that cabin ... please reply here or to my email (gdk19 at rogers dot com)

Thank you

Thanks everyone who joined in on our roll call for this cruise and showed up for our get together party at Bali Hai. You were the best Cruise Critics group I've ever seen and it was a super party. I enjoyed meeting every one of you!:D

I've seen two individual threads already about our cruise, one pro and one con, but I'd like to see a lot of posts from all of you roll call people about what your thoughts are now that we're back home. Several of us will submit a review but not all of us will get selected. I think we should all be heard. We spent a lot of time online together before our cruise and I think our experiences and observations will help others who might be planning a Hawaii cruise in the future.

Pros and cons. Let's hear them both. What did you like and what did you hate? What went well and what didn't? What would you change in retrospect that might have improved the quality of your cruise. Did you select the right cabin or category?

Who wants to be first?

Cheers,

Holly:D

Archived