Attention all foodies & wine lovers!!

We are traveling through the Westerrn Med in just 10 days and I'd love to know what foods & wine these different areas are known for:

Naples, Italy

Sorrento, Italy

Venice, Italy

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Taormina, Sicily

Barcelona, Spain

Cote d'azur, France

Cinque Terra, Italy

Can't wait to see your recommendations!

We are traveling through the Westerrn Med in just 10 days and I'd love to know what foods & wine these different areas are known for:

Naples, Italy

Sorrento, Italy

Venice, Italy

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Taormina, Sicily

Barcelona, Spain

Cote d'azur, France

Cinque Terra, Italy

Can't wait to see your recommendations!

:D As you can see by my signature I had to get in on this post. We also will be doing some traveling in Europe this year. We will be on the Wind Surf this September leaving from Barcelona, followed by 2 weeks in Tuscany in search of great wines and of course great food. I'd loved to hear what others have experienced.

OOOH....Barcelona - you have to have their regional dish - Paella. It is outstanding. We were there for 3 days and had Paella every day at a different restaurant each day, I can't tell you, I've NEVER tasted Paella like it. It's a must!!!!

YUM YUM!! That's what I'm talking about! Is there a particular restaurant that you felt had the best paella?

When we in in Spain a few years ago...we used to love the roasted red peppers in a garlic cream sauce. And eating tapas in Spain is such a great experience along with the house crianza (don't know if that's the right spelling...but they pronouce it criantha in Barcelona). Many of the places we visited in the Rioja region made their own house red, white or rose. It was so fun to try a glass along with the tapas.It's funny because I especially enjoyed the fried sardines....and I never would have even tried it in the states!

Yes Tapas and Roija - definitely!!! We loved sitting on Las Ramblas and eating at the open air restaurants while people watching with a fine glass of wine yummmmy. Can't wait, we're going back this October.

We were in the Med in 2004 and one of our stops was Marseilles. From there we took an excursion to Chateauneuf-du-Pape in the Cote du Rhone region and toured one of the wineries that had achieved the Grand Cru distinction (the highest ranking a vineyard in France can receive). I may be a bit off with my memory but in that area there are only 13 or so vineyards that had achieved Grand Cru distinction. At the moment I can not recall which of those 13 wineries we visited, but the wine was wonderful. We still have a couple of bottles of 1990 vintage that we purchased that are waiting to be opened (according to the winemaker the reds last for 15 - 20 years and the whites around 5-6 years). Prices were very reasonable. Not sure where your port stop is in the Cote d'Azur but if you can go to Chateauneuf you may want to consider it.

I'd love to know what foods & wine these different areas are known for: !

I can help with some:

Naples, Italy - home of the original pizza (but don't expect to find N.A.-style pepperoni)

Sorrento, Italy - have a drink of tasty Limoncello liqueur

Cote d'azur, France - Bouillabaisse (5 fish stew)

Cinque Terre, Italy - pesto sauce/dip originated in this area

:D As you can see by my signature I had to get in on this post. We also will be doing some traveling in Europe this year. We will be on the Wind Surf this September leaving from Barcelona' date=' followed by 2 weeks in Tuscany in search of great wines and of course great food. I'd loved to hear what others have experienced. [/color']

We just returned from a Barcelona to Venice cruise on the Celebrity Millennium and spent several days in Barcelona . We took a tour with spanish-trails.com to the Dali museum and Girona. Had great food and wine at a restaurant near Girona. They also do tours of the wine country near Barcelona and I'd highly recommend them. Its owned by a young American couple,Charles and Tracy. We are going back to Barcelona in May 2007 and will be taking the wine tour with them.

In Tuscany we took a tour of the wine country with Paolo owner of Unforgettable Tuscany. It was wonderful and we spent three hours at Castello da Verrazano taking a tour,wine tasting and lunch. I'd recommend you go there and taste and buy their Super Tuscany wines. The Brunellos are great and I bought 8 -97's and 99's at a small store in San Gimignano at good prices. I'd also recommend you go to Antonori's winery in Chanti and have a tasting and eat at the restaurant. It's very expensive but worth the price. We hope to spend a week in Tuscany in the future so we'd be interested in hearing about your trip. Pleae email me when you get a chance at BGoldman@ssd.com.

Hope this helps.

Ben Goldman

Reference the Cote d'Azur: If you are in Nice I saw this quote on the web.

"The City of Nice is one of those rare cities in France (along with Lyons) whose names are immediately associated with a cuisine soaked in history and tradition.

To highlight authentic Niçoise cuisine, the Alpes-Maritimes Tourist Information Offices have established a "Cuisine Nissarde, le respect de la tradition" label, which is awarded to any establishment (family restaurant, gourmet restaurant, etc) that respects the traditions and know-how of the French Riviera's culinary art.

Each restaurant carrying the label pledges to include at least 3 traditional dishes on its menu, such as Pan-Bagnat, Salade Niçoise, Pissaladière, Ravioli, etc."

We ate at a seafood restaurant in Nice and thought it was very good. It's called Boccaccio. You will have no problem finding good restaurants so I wouldn't go way out of my way to locate this one.

Frommer's Review of Boccaccio:

"Adjacent to place Masséna, in a pedestrian zone that enhances the desirability of its streetfront terrace, this restaurant boasts worthy cuisine and a devoted local following. Bouillabaisse is reasonably priced here, and the range of fresh fish (grilled with lemon butter or baked in a salt crust) is broad and well prepared. The paella might remind you of Spain, and desserts like cappuccino tiramisu and crêpes suzettes round out meals nicely. There's a large dining room upstairs, inspired by the interior of a yacht, if the terrace doesn't appeal to you."

The sea bass in a salt crust is incredible. They bring the fish to the table still encrusted in the salt. The waiter breaks open the crust and wow!

The Cote d'Azur is in the Provence region. Provence is noted for its rose wines. They are inexpensieve and fun. The Provencal Rose is dryer and not as sweet as many roses. Here is another quote that mentions the wine paired with some food items.

"Rosé de Provence is the perfect summer wine. The wine is fresh and fruity. Rosé is a good companion to any meal that has sun in its roots and specially the food coming from the Mediterranean Sea and Provence. We recommend rosé with:

- Salad (such as Salade niçoise)

- as an aperitif

- with typical food from Provence (Bouillabaisse, Aioli, Ratatouille, etc"

The Cote d'Azur is very near Italy and you will find a very heavy Italian influence in many restaurants.

We just returned from a Barcelona to Venice cruise on the Celebrity Millennium and spent several days in Barcelona . We took a tour with spanish-trails.com to the Dali museum and Girona. Had great food and wine at a restaurant near Girona. They also do tours of the wine country near Barcelona and I'd highly recommend them. Its owned by a young American couple,Charles and Tracy. We are going back to Barcelona in May 2007 and will be taking the wine tour with them.

In Tuscany we took a tour of the wine country with Paolo owner of Unforgettable Tuscany. It was wonderful and we spent three hours at Castello da Verrazano taking a tour,wine tasting and lunch. I'd recommend you go there and taste and buy their Super Tuscany wines. The Brunellos are great and I bought 8 -97's and 99's at a small store in San Gimignano at good prices. I'd also recommend you go to Antonori's winery in Chanti and have a tasting and eat at the restaurant. It's very expensive but worth the price. We hope to spend a week in Tuscany in the future so we'd be interested in hearing about your trip. Pleae email me when you get a chance at BGoldman@ssd.com.

Hope this helps.

Ben Goldman

Ben thank you so much for taking time to offer these great suggestions. We are so looking forward to this trip and as you can see by our screen name we do love our wines. Because we live in Southern California we have spent a lot of time in the many wine areas of California and a few years ago spent 3 weeks visiting the incrediable winery's of Australia. :confused: As far as European wines we are real novices, so we can use all the help we can get, thanks again and we will check in when we return. Shirley

I can help with some:

Naples, Italy - home of the original pizza (but don't expect to find N.A.-style pepperoni)

Sorrento, Italy - have a drink of tasty Limoncello liqueur

Cote d'azur, France - Bouillabaisse (5 fish stew)

Cinque Terre, Italy - pesto sauce/dip originated in this area

Venice, Italy - the Veneto is known for its risotto from the Po Valley. Its traditional world class wines are Soave (white) and the Valpolicella and Bardolino reds. More recently, the Prosecco sparkling white wine has become a favoured apertif throughout Italy and the red Amarone has emerged (in the opinion of some wine lovers) as the equal of Brunello and Barolo.

...Tuscany in search of great wines and of course great food. I'd loved to hear what others have experienced.

Brunello (from Montalcino) and Vino Nobile (from Montepulciano) are tops.

Archived